Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Luek
    Feb 14, 2003, 10:24 PM - Re: "It's not easy being green"* Colors are now here **** #26

what did u use to paint ur helmets?
  2. Rogue Studios is offline Rogue Studios
    Feb 14, 2003, 11:23 PM - Re: "It's not easy being green"* Colors are now here **** #27

I Used the enamels for durability.
  3. Rogue Studios is offline Rogue Studios
    Feb 14, 2003, 11:40 PM - Re: "It's not easy being green"* Colors are now here **** #28

Hey recheck the colors I had to make a few changes since folks are doing searches I posted this from work today so I just put them up as I remebered them I have the technical names Testors uses as well as polly scale. Sorry about that I'm just jumping between this and helping the RPF out on X-wings.

Lee
    Feb 15, 2003, 12:17 AM - Re: "It's not easy being green"* Colors are now here **** #29

Thanks Lee, i've been out with the GF all day and have kinda looked forward to seein this when I got home. It was well worth the wait. Hobbystores here I come.
    Feb 17, 2003, 11:06 AM - Re: "It's not easy being green"* Colors are now here **** #30

Lee, Thanks for the color info. I ran out and looked for them locally but couldn't find them. I was out of town yesterday and stopped at a hobby store and found them! Can't wait to get the new helmet to test them. Hey What primer color/type did you use?
    Thanks again
  6. Rogue Studios is offline Rogue Studios
    Feb 17, 2003, 12:40 PM - Re: "It's not easy being green"* Colors are now here **** #31

Depending on your method. If you are using a masking method and painting silver on first use black as a primer and then silver on top really makes the silver stand out.

If you are using topical use white primer. Any off the shelf brand will do. If it scratches no big deal since white is seen all over the place on the helmet since there was mistreatment some scratches are white since it scratched through to the base of the white vacuform plastic of the original.

Also I have been using a Rust primer right out of the can for the mandibles and this color is tough to call and I would suggest using caution as it being the dead on same color however it's very close and from comaprisons at AOSW it's definitely not Ruddy Brown (no offense to those who have used this color though) Ruddy has to be worked too much to get it right it was suggested to me to use rust so I did and the effect was pretty good but as always I'm still researching.

Hope this helps.

Lee
    Feb 17, 2003, 1:05 PM - Re: "It's not easy being green"* Colors are now here **** #32

Can you get it in a sray can or do you have to airbrush it on?
    Feb 17, 2003, 1:30 PM - Re: "It's not easy being green"* Colors are now here **** #33

I was wondering if you compared Floquil Classic RailRoad enamel "Depot Olive B-110044" to your military panzer olive green? I was wondering how close it was if you did?
    Thanks
  9. Member Since
    Feb 2003
    Feb 17, 2003, 2:56 PM - Re: "It's not easy being green"* Colors are now here **** #34

So, to make sure I have this right...The olive green is for the cheeks and dome, the rust is probably the color for the mandibles, the Euro gray is for the parts between the cheeks and the mandibles, but what is the color for theback of the helmet?
  10. Rogue Studios is offline Rogue Studios
    Feb 17, 2003, 8:20 PM - Re: "It's not easy being green"* Colors are now here **** #35

All of that is right except the euro gray is used for the scratches. The inside cheek color is calle weatherd black from Floquil/Polly S..It's a bit lighter than what I think it should be but the weathering darkened it. The back...Don't know yet a dark green/blue...somebody mentioned a dark green earlier on one post and I thought it was a good call.

Lee
  11. Rogue Studios is offline Rogue Studios
    Feb 17, 2003, 8:23 PM - Re: "It's not easy being green"* Colors are now here **** #36

**I was wondering if you compared Floquil Classic RailRoad enamel "Depot Olive B-110044" to your military panzer olive green? I was wondering how close it was if you did?
    Thanks

Yes and Depot Olive does not appear to be correct. I have bought around $250 of paint in those little bottles and I racked my brain on this one and I'm confident of the green used.
  12. Member Since
    Aug 2002
    Feb 17, 2003, 8:38 PM - Re: "It's not easy being green"* Colors are now here **** #37

I cant believe I overlooked this. Cool. Thanks for the color info. Another thing to add to the pile since I cant paint till Spring anyways.
  13. Member Since
    Feb 2003
    Feb 17, 2003, 8:45 PM - Re: "It's not easy being green"* Colors are now here **** #38

Thanks Lee!
    Feb 17, 2003, 9:23 PM - Re: "It's not easy being green"* Colors are now here **** #39

C17LM wrote:

**I was wondering if you compared Floquil Classic RailRoad enamel "Depot Olive B-110044" to your military panzer olive green? I was wondering how close it was if you did?
    Thanks

Yes and Depot Olive does not appear to be correct. I have bought around $250 of paint in those little bottles and I racked my brain on this one and I'm confident of the green used.

Thanks for the info! Keep up the good work!
    Feb 18, 2003, 6:36 AM - Re: "It's not easy being green"* Colors are now here **** #40

Man, You must spend so much time replying to us guys. You must never sleep.

Make sure you take time out to spend with your family. You know, those other humans you occasionally see around your house.

Very excited about the prospect of a colour scheme. Can't wait that long, so I'll hack mine together now, then re-paint when the proper colours come out.

Don't feel you have to reply to this, Lee, give your family a kiss instead.

But after that don't even breath until you've cracked the colours. (kidding!)

Si

16. Rogue Studios is offline Rogue Studios
    Feb 18, 2003, 8:24 AM - Re: "It's not easy being green"* Colors are now here **** #41

Thanks for all of the support I appreciate it. Part of the reason for waiting on the colors to be exposed was I was hoping I could get definitive proof on the other colors but I deceided it was time to let it out so everyone wouldn't think I was palying a game or soemthing at least we can be relatively sure the green is cracked. I'm a pretty focused person and when I start something I like to get it right no compromises and I do my best to make time for the family LOL.

Lee
    Feb 18, 2003, 10:48 AM - Re: "It's not easy being green"* Colors are now here **** #42

Lee,

Have you gotten as far as the ear pieces yet? I'm looking at my pics on the ref CD and the green on the left ear looks different than the dome. It seems to be darker and w/o any "pepto". In my spray can collection, the spruce green looks pretty close to the ear color. The local hobby shop didn't have the weathered black. I've found it online, but what about Testor's "gunmetal"? Any thoughts? Thanks again for all your hard work on this!

Ryan

Feb 18, 2003, 3:23 PM - Re: "It's not easy being green"* Colors are now here **** #43

For my earpieces, my rangefinder side was Model Master Panzer Dunkelgelb 1943. It's VERY close to the MOM ref pics. I darkened it with the dry graphite lube rubbed into it.

My other earpiece was a custom mix of Testors Olive Drab and Tan, which made it also match the ref pics I've seen.

I've not heard of "pepto". What are you guys referring to?
  19. Rogue Studios is offline Rogue Studios
    Feb 18, 2003, 3:33 PM - Re: "It's not easy being green"* Colors are now here **** #44

The "Pepto is a metaphor for how the main helmet appears to be a very light milky green in photos.
    Feb 19, 2003, 6:44 PM - Re: "It's not easy being green"* Colors are now here **** #45

I found the Panzer Olive Green in Floquil today! I bought some and I'll let everyone know how it goes.
    Feb 25, 2003, 5:00 PM - Re: "It's not easy being green"* Colors are now here **** #46

I haven't started painting yet (I'm still fixing my MSH#1), but I've started collecting all the paint, and trying to nail down the ones I don't know. I thought I'd share where I'm at:

1. <LI> Panzer Olivegrun 1943-Testors-Dome /Cheeks
      <LI> Red Primer-Rustoleum-Visor /Keyholes
      <LI> Weathered Black-Floquil-Underside Cheeks
      <LI> Euro Gray-Testors-Gray Scratches
      <LI> Bright Silver-Floquil-Silver Scratches
      <LI> Dullcoat-Testors-Finish
      <LI> ?Equipment Yellow-Wal Mart-Stripes
      <LI> ?Pumpkin Orange-Krylon-Back Stripes
      <LI> ?Imperial Japanese Navy Green-Testors-Back of Helmet
      <LI> ?Panzer Dunkelgelb 1943-Testors-Right Ear /Back Scratches
      <LI> ?Gunmetal-Testors-Weathering Underside Cheeks
      <LI> ?Undecided Purple-?-Visor Scratches
      <LI> ?Spruce Green-Rustoleum-Left Earpiece
      <LI> ?Undecided Red-?-Left Earpiece

I'm fairly certain on those with the "?" but I'm looking for some input /confirmation from all you others on the hunt. I'll have to make a trip out to the hobby store to get some more ideas on those purple /red colors.

[edit] I made a trip to the hobby store to try and find a good purple for the visor weathering. All the TESTORS purples were either too blue or had metal flake/ pearl in them. FLOQUIL has nothing purple. TAMAYA makes a lavender in a can that looks close, but I don't think it's right either. Any ideas?
  22. Member Since
    Jul 2002
    Feb 28, 2003, 4:14 PM - Re: "It's not easy being green"* Colors are now here **** #47

I've not been here for a while and look what i've missed!!

Before i went to the AOSW exhibit to see the ESB Fett helmet in person, i spent a lot of time worrying about getting the base green right. But like i said, that was before i went to see the helmet in person.
    In person, the green was so obviously just ww2 military vehicle green to me and i felt a lot more confident about getting the green right on my replica helmet.

One thing that does concern me a little though is that these army green modelers paints look quite dark on a model or something small, but they can look way to light when painted over a large area that receives more light falling on it like a life size helmet.
    I can tell you that the ESB Fett helmet base green is quite dark.
    The pics that tylerdurden has posted of the Fett helmet are very good none flash reference pics.

Anyway, i will go and have a look at this panzer green.

Keith.

EDIT: I've just had a look at the helmet painted in the panzer green and i think it looks spot on! Well done Lee!
    I always thought that the green would just be readily available ww2 green colour, i just didn't know which one lol.

Keith.
  23. Member Since
    Oct 2002
    Mar 6, 2003, 4:55 AM - Re: "It's not easy being green"* Colors are now here **** #48

Here is a cleaned up version of an image that TylerDurden posted in another thread.

It's possibly the only photo of the ESB helmet in daylight.

I had to do a lot of cleaning up to remove the grain and compression artefacts, then set the white balance based on the wall in the background.

I figured it would be useful for reference.

Steve

Mar 12, 2003, 11:11 AM - Re: "It's not easy being green"* Colors are now here **** #49

Any update on the "red/rust" or back of the helmet? Any thing on the armor? PM me if you want.
    Thanks
  25. Rogue Studios is offline Rogue Studios
    Mar 12, 2003, 6:30 PM - Re: "It's not easy being green"* Colors are now here **** #50

Still working the mandible color just to make sure what I am using is right but haven't found a hit yet. The back is still out to...will start on armor as soon as I complete one of the two helmets I ahve been working on...going to take a small break then for some research time.

Lee