Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
    Nov 28, 2013, 1:06 PM - Re: rubio95's ESB #26

Quote terminal fettler said: View Post
    Well I don't know about being a big dog, but definitely an old dog

Regarding pressure, I tend to go quite low pressure, between 15-20 PSI and get in close and slow, I find that gives a smoother application, with Humbrol enamels anyway...
    You're being modest, my friend.

Thanks for the info regarding pressure. Good to know.
    Nov 28, 2013, 1:26 PM - Re: rubio95's ESB #27

those back panels are looking sweet!
  3. Nov 28, 2013, 1:32 PM - Re: rubio95's ESB #28

Looking awesome bro! Are you using Rafs stencils?
    Last edited by Darth Voorhees; Nov 28, 2013 at 1:37 PM.
    Dec 8, 2013, 3:05 AM - Re: rubio95's ESB #29

Well, I went for it. Here's my custom green, next to a buddy's MR. Thoughts?

Last edited by rubio95; Jan 4, 2014 at 9:35 PM.
    Dec 8, 2013, 8:06 AM - Re: rubio95's ESB #30

May just be the photo lighting, but your green looks great. The cheeks on the other bucket look too "Minty green".
    Dec 8, 2013, 9:46 AM - Re: rubio95's ESB #31

I'd say yours is much closer to the ESB color. It might be just a bit too grey, but it matches all the pics where a flash is used. I just wonder if the flash washed just a tad of the green out. I only say that when I look through the reference pics there are a couple without flashes in the SE gallery that show just a hint more green. All in all I think you are incredibly close, and I would say that without seeing the bucket in person, outdoors, to verify the true color to yourself, you have one of the closest colors I have ever seen. It looks great!
    Dec 8, 2013, 11:04 AM - Re: rubio95's ESB #32

If you scroll up to the top of the screen they match the ESB Fett in the corner. And those back panels look very well done, back tracking a bit.
    Dec 8, 2013, 11:22 AM - Re: rubio95's ESB #33

The color is pretty good. Assuming that you used a powerful light, I did a 'color test' using an image (made with flash light) from the TDH Gallery (photo by Britt Dietz):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rubio ESB Color Test.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	617.1 KB 
ID:	73332 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rubio ESB Color Test Lights.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	73333

The upper set is with the unmodified light, and the colors are pretty close, but you can see that the gray weathering is much too dark and your green lack a bit of green. The second set has the light reduced with 10% and all the colors matches 95%, because I used these colors to do my stencils. I never use the brightest images as they are distorted, so I use intermediate lights: not too light and/or not too dark. The second images shows the difference between 'normal' light and a 10% reduction.

I say you are pretty close with the base green, but you might warm it up a bit.
    Dec 8, 2013, 10:20 PM - Re: rubio95's ESB #34

Quote syllander said: View Post
    May just be the photo lighting, but your green looks great. The cheeks on the other bucket look too "Minty green".
    Quote LongHammer said: View Post
    I'd say yours is much closer to the ESB color. It might be just a bit too grey, but it matches all the pics where a flash is used. I just wonder if the flash washed just a tad of the green out. I only say that when I look through the reference pics there are a couple without flashes in the SE gallery that show just a hint more green. All in all I think you are incredibly close, and I would say that without seeing the bucket in person, outdoors, to verify the true color to yourself, you have one of the closest colors I have ever seen. It looks great!
    If you scroll up to the top of the screen they match the ESB Fett in the corner. And those back panels look very well done, back tracking a bit.
    Quote RafalFett said: View Post
    The color is pretty good. Assuming that you used a powerful light, I did a 'color test' using an image (made with flash light) from the TDH Gallery (photo by Britt Dietz):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rubio ESB Color Test.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	617.1 KB 
ID:	73332 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rubio ESB Color Test Lights.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	73333

The upper set is with the unmodified light, and the colors are pretty close, but you can see that the gray weathering is much too dark and your green lack a bit of green. The second set has the light reduced with 10% and all the colors matches 95%, because I used these colors to do my stencils. I never use the brightest images as they are distorted, so I use intermediate lights: not too light and/or not too dark. The second images shows the difference between 'normal' light and a 10% reduction.

I say you are pretty close with the base green, but you might warm it up a bit.
    Thanks, all, for the compliments!

Okay, Rafal, now you and I can get into the nitty gritty.

The gray is not the recommended Reefer Gray, but rather the Lark Dark Gray that is present in some of the paint up color lists. When a darker green is used for the cheeks, the Lark Dark Gray works fine. But since my green is so much lighter, it REALLY makes the gray color have too much of a contrast. I noticed that immediately. I'm looking into getting a bottle of the Reefer Gray, and I may attempt to redo that section. That's why I only did the lower cheeks.

I am happy to try a new mix for the cheeks and dome, but honestly, I'm nervous to do so (this IS an FPH2), but I'm confident in my eye, and although I don't expect to change the game, it is fun to go in a different direction.
    Dec 9, 2013, 2:11 AM - Re: rubio95's ESB #35

Quote rubio95 said: View Post
    Thanks, all, for the compliments!

Okay, Rafal, now you and I can get into the nitty gritty.

The gray is not the recommended Reefer Gray, but rather the Lark Dark Gray that is present in some of the paint up color lists. When a darker green is used for the cheeks, the Lark Dark Gray works fine. But since my green is so much lighter, it REALLY makes the gray color have too much of a contrast. I noticed that immediately. I'm looking into getting a bottle of the Reefer Gray, and I may attempt to redo that section. That's why I only did the lower cheeks.

I am happy to try a new mix for the cheeks and dome, but honestly, I'm nervous to do so (this IS an FPH2), but I'm confident in my eye, and although I don't expect to change the game, it is fun to go in a different direction.
    Most of the paint names from my stencils (taken from Rogue Studio's paint list) are there just with their names, as I used the C-IV exhibit images to do the color scheme and some of them do not match those colors anymore. I would suggest others to use Terminal Fettler's paint threads (especially the new one, that will cover new colors ==> TF2 ESB Paint Job for Captain Awesome) along with Jayvee's awesome helmet paint-up, both located in the Helmet Consolidation Thread.

I'm looking forward to see how the 'new' gray will work for you!
    Dec 9, 2013, 2:14 AM - Re: rubio95's ESB #36

I've tried the custom mix thing before and it can be really tricky.
    I'm not saying you are doing poorly at all, but when it comes to paints there are a few members who really set the bar high. I always look at their work and consult them .(you know who you are fellas)
    Two things:
    The real grey is pretty dark. Even darker than the SP lark dark grey. The weathering and especially the black wash must be used to darken the green up and reduce the contrast.
    Who would be interested in a custom green mixed up in airbrush ready bottles ?
    This color would be based on extensive study by one of those fine paint wizards and would act as a replacement to the discontinued floquil paint. It would be pretty close to the floquil POG but with more accurate hue.
    Dec 9, 2013, 1:47 PM - Re: rubio95's ESB #37

Great Information boys
    Dec 11, 2013, 1:55 AM - Re: rubio95's ESB #38

Man I have to get one of these lids.
    Dec 11, 2013, 11:27 AM - Re: rubio95's ESB #39

Definitely close enough that you know when it's done it's going to look BAD *****!
    That detail shot by Raf is stellar...like a repro of the Mona Lisa.
    Dec 17, 2013, 12:12 PM - Re: rubio95's ESB #40

The semester is over, and I all my papers have been written and submitted, so I finally had some time to get back on my helmet.

Over the weekend, I was able to get the upper cheeks done, but more importantly, most of the dome.

As I've gotten farther along with it, it's making me sick to my stomach to deviate from the 'official' green. I like my mixture very much, but I'm in uncharted territory, and I'm still very nervous. I'm confident that after I'm finished, and the helmet gets a few generous washes, that the green base that I've used will look awfully close to the screen-used helmet. That's the hope, anyways!

I think it's turning out well, so far, but it definitely looks too 'new,' so to speak. There's tons of detail work to do. In particular, I have lots more work to do on the dent. I also had my first 'Oh No!!' moment. After laying down the Lark Dark Gray, I realized that forgot to mask two areas of silver, so I kinda went into panic mode! However, I was able to 'reverse-mask' those areas, and it came out perfect. This taught me two things:
    1. Anything on this helmet can be redone/reworked/added to.
    2. For a complete and proper paint-up, the technique SHOULD be a healthy mixture of layered AND topical.

Anyways, here's a few low-quality pics under poor lighting lol!
    I'm waiting for several paints to come in the mail (it's been a month - argh!) and the next area is, of course, the mandibles. I'm REALLY excited for this part, since that's when Boba Fett becomes Boba Fett, in my opinion. Plus I'm DYING to see how my green contrasts to Jayvee's Humbrol mix.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by rubio95; Jan 4, 2014 at 8:04 PM.
    Dec 17, 2013, 3:43 PM - Re: rubio95's ESB #41

Congrats on the semester ending! My last final is tomorrow. I am excited to see this paint up since I ordered a FPH2 in early November. Looking great!
    Dec 17, 2013, 7:32 PM - Re: rubio95's ESB #42

Who painted the helmet beside yours?
    At this point probably very easy to get wrapped up in the tiny details. The lighting also has to play a part here . Looks like yours is too light and the next door helm is too dark. Hard to get fine hues over internet pics. Detail does look really great though....and if I paid someone for a paint up and it looked like this I'd never complain!
    Last edited by syllander; Dec 17, 2013 at 7:44 PM.
    Dec 18, 2013, 6:33 PM - Re: rubio95's ESB #43

Quote bcurtis said: View Post
    Congrats on the semester ending! My last final is tomorrow. I am excited to see this paint up since I ordered a FPH2 in early November. Looking great!
    Who painted the helmet beside yours?
    At this point probably very easy to get wrapped up in the tiny details. The lighting also has to play a part here . Looks like yours is too light and the next door helm is too dark. Hard to get fine hues over internet pics. Detail does look really great though....and if I paid someone for a paint up and it looked like this I'd never complain!
    Thanks for the compliments!
    I have the luxury of having a buddy's Master Replicas Boba Fett helmet. So all of the comparison shots are taken alongside that. I'm hoping that when I paint the mandibles, that will help to 'darken' the dome and cheeks. I'm also thinking that a series of washes will further knock the lightness down. We'll see.
    Dec 19, 2013, 10:53 AM - Re: rubio95's ESB #44

More terrible pics!
    (You have no idea how much it gets under my skin to take and post such awful photos - it's just so CONVENIENT to use my phone lol)!

Got the kill stripes handled last night. I like the way they turned out, and I think that the added color really has helped to break up the brightness of the dome. I think this might turn out great!

Deadland pointed out a few areas of dark gray that I missed on the back of the dome (and some silver along the dent area - which I already knew about), but I have no fears of adding them, after the experience that I had in the post above.

The HORRIBLE company I bought some Humbrol tins from has assured me that I'll have my paint for the mandibles before Christmas - Only a month and a half after I ordered them. I won't call them out, but it rhymes with 1001MODELKITS.COM.

Anyways, I'll be (hopefully) masking the silver on the mandibles/trim after work tonight, and possibly laying down the base gray after that. We'll see (it's rainy/cold here today).

Here's the stripes:

And the crown jewel of blurriness!
    Last edited by rubio95; Jan 4, 2014 at 12:07 PM.
    Dec 19, 2013, 11:25 AM - Re: rubio95's ESB #45

Man those kill stripes just pop on that color....
    Dec 19, 2013, 6:39 PM - Re: rubio95's ESB #46

I love the green tone you're using. Can't wait to see how it looks with the mandibles finished

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    Dec 26, 2013, 11:04 AM - Re: rubio95's ESB #47

Good morning, my Fett friends!

I was able to get some good work done yesterday. If all goes according to plan, my Humbrols should be arriving this afternoon when I get home from work. I'm waiting for Red Wine and Oxford Blue. So in the meantime, I figured I should go ahead and get some work on the mandibles done. I decided to forego the lighter gray color that appears in a few spots, as I think it will be easier to lay it down after everything else is completed. So I went to the next color, the dark gray. And I gotta say, I thought that the back panels for the ESB (or any of the helmets, really) were the biggest pain, but I was WRONG lol. As much fun as all of this is, the ESB mandibles (the lower right mandible in particular) are a nightmare! There are sooooo many little 'flecks' of all of the colors! I'm just hoping I come close to capturing it all.

When I get home (and assuming 1001modelkits.com comes through), I should be able to begin spraying almost immediately (all that's left is to mask the dark gray of the trim/keyslots).

Still two more main colors to add. Here's a quick picture. It doesn't QUITE capture the insanity...lol!

Dec 26, 2013, 11:30 AM - Re: rubio95's ESB #48

Everything looks great Rubio !
  24. Member Since
    Oct 2013
    Dec 26, 2013, 1:28 PM - Re: rubio95's ESB #49

DUDE! your a costumer insanity is part of the hobby looking good
    Dec 26, 2013, 5:18 PM - Re: rubio95's ESB #50

Quote 22ssplt said: View Post
    Everything looks great Rubio !
    Quote xanthis02 said: View Post
    DUDE! your a costumer insanity is part of the hobby looking good
    Lol, yes, I fully realize that!

Thanks, Dave. I couldn't be more excited to see how Jayvee's homebrewed mandible colors contrast with my green mixture. C'mon 4:00pm!