Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

rubio95's ESB

From
    Inland Empire, CA

rubio95's ESB

Now, some of you know, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool RotJ guy, but this, THIS, is a thing of beauty, and I'll happily cross over to the other side of the fence for it.
    It will be a collaborative effort, and I'm hoping that the final product will at least come close to the sheer majesty of this lid. This project will be deeply personal to me, and I want the involved parties to know how much I appreciate the help they've already given in addition to the help they're going to give. TDH is special.

Advance thanks to:
    Chris (the Architect)
    Rob (the MixMaster)
    Jesse (the All-Seeing Eye)
    Brian (the Brony)
    Myself (the Jack-of-Everything-In-Between)

Behold:

Last edited by rubio95; Oct 4, 2013 at 6:41 PM.

From
    Pennsylvania

Re: rubio95's ESB

I will be watching this one, and I have a light kit with the micro switch and GOW bulbs for this lid just about ready to go. Let me know if you want me to help out as well. That lid is sweet and I would like to try to help out if I can

From
    Murrieta CA

JC27 I will need one of those to go with mine!!!!

From
    Pennsylvania

No prob DL. When I have the boards (I'm hoping the end of this month)in hand I will change the TF kit sales thread to include the FPH2 kit.

From
    Inland Empire, CA

Some progress pics, while she's still pretty and clean. Helmet has been wetsanded, primed and re-wetsanded, ready for silver.
    Ears have been primed, wetsanded, and silvered.

This is gonna be sweet.

She could still be an RotJ...........................................arg h!!!!!

From
    Greenwood, AR

what a beauty.. what ever way you go ROTJ or ESB, can't wait to see what happens

From
    Murrieta CA

Dude enough with the ROTJ how many times am I going to back you off this ledge. ESB all the way on this bad boy.

If you mention ROTJ one more time I'm gonna kick you square in the nuts when I'm down your way in a couple weeks! :P

From
    Pennsylvania

Rubio, it's ESB or no light kit lol.

From
    Murrieta CA

JodoKast89 said: View Post
    If you mention ROTJ one more time I'm gonna kick you square in the nuts when I'm down your way in a couple weeks! :P
    I will hold him while you do it.

From
    Inland Empire, CA

deadland said: View Post
    Dude enough with the ROTJ how many times am I going to back you off this ledge. ESB all the way on this bad boy.
    JodoKast89 said: View Post
    Jc27 said: View Post
    Rubio, it's ESB or no light kit lol.
    Okay, okay, point taken, ya wackos

I'm in the process of getting paints together (I'm gonna experiment with a green combo for the dome and lower cheeks).

I'm going blind reading and rereading all of the deadland, superjedi, TF and Jayvee paint threads....

Justin, I'm gonna holler at you in a few for the lights.

Dakota, I still need to get at you regarding your alloy pieces.

And Rob, get your *** home!

Nice! lookin forward to this!

From
    Pennsylvania

I am ordering the boards next week, as well as a few of the micro switches. Once those come in,,it should only take a couple days to get the kit built.

rubio95 said: View Post
    Okay, okay, point taken, ya wackos

I'm in the process of getting paints together (I'm gonna experiment with a green combo for the dome and lower cheeks).

I'm going blind reading and rereading all of the deadland, superjedi, TF and Jayvee paint threads....

Justin, I'm gonna holler at you in a few for the lights.

Dakota, I still need to get at you regarding your alloy pieces.

And Rob, get your *** home!
    Just lemme know man. Happy to help and I'll work with you.

I think you're definitely gonna need some metal ears for this thing We're getting closer...

From
    Murrieta Ca.

rubio95's ESB

This looks great ryan-"rainbow dash"! All joking aside this is going to be stellar! With the arduous amount of research youve put in....no worries man. Also, let me know if youd like to check out jc's led setup lmk as i have one in hand(its a beauty). Keep it up buddy!
    B
    Quote Quote Posted from iOS app

From
    Las Vegas

I like the sway in the brow and the detailed scratches and dent!

From
    Inland Empire, CA

Workin'!!!!

(Couldn't help pulling a little masking off)

From
    Murrieta CA

I don't know something looks off to me!!!! I can't quite put my finger on it. Wait I know what it is your painting and ESB lid!!!

Just kidding bro the back is looking great keep up the good work and take your time.

From
    Pennsylvania

Looking awesome, and the new boards will be ordered hopefully by the weekend.

From
    Galati, Romania

So far it looks great! Can't wait to see the back plate finished, then the rest of the helmet!

From
    Inland Empire, CA

Made a fairly large purchase a few days back.

Here we go!

And I got some more colors laid down last night.

I've got some cleaning up to do, and some more weathering. I went with my own color choices for the last two greens.
    Cell phone pics:

Last edited by rubio95; Jan 4, 2014 at 11:16 AM.

From
    England

It's nice and I like it. How's the airbrush? Easy to clean?

Very nice work, the colours look good. What mix did you us for the green? How are you finding the Iwata?

From
    Inland Empire, CA

intwenothor said: View Post
    It's nice and I like it. How's the airbrush? Easy to clean?
    terminal fettler said: View Post
    Very nice work, the colours look good. What mix did you us for the green? How are you finding the Iwata?
    Thanks for the compliments. That feels pretty nice, especially since you guys are both big dogs as far as painting.

Regarding the Iwata, it's the Eclipse HP-CS model, and I love it so far. However, I really don't have a frame-of-reference for comparison, since it's my first airbrush. Cleanup hasn't been a problem yet. I want to look into replacing the nozzle and needle, though. I'd like a bit wider spray cone, and my Iwata only came with the .35 needle. Would the .5 open up a larger cone?

I'll be taking the Iwata over to deadland's place soon. Since he has a great deal of experience, he'll be able to give a good review on the airbrush.

I'm also only spraying with an 18psi max compressor. You guys usually go higher than that, right?

And finally, as far as the colors, I'm using a Frankenstein mix for virtually everything. Some Floquils, some Model Masters, and I'm waiting on some Humbrols from across the pond. And a few of the Vallejo yellows are intriguing me for the kill stripes. Other than Lark Dark and Light Gray and Concrete, I'm pretty much bastardizing everything. The final green is MM Euro Dark Green with a healthy mix of MM Dark Sea Blue. And it's still not as bluish as I had hoped. Wait til you see the mixes I'm messing with for the dome and cheeks!

Well I don't know about being a big dog, but definitely an old dog

Regarding pressure, I tend to go quite low pressure, between 15-20 PSI and get in close and slow, I find that gives a smoother application, with Humbrol enamels anyway...