Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
  1. Ego
    Oct 7, 2002, 11:31 AM - Re: Rubies makes babies cry.... #26

And just to follow up on your thought Guri, I think there IS a viable market out there for it.

Look at the lightsabers that are being made right now. Master Replicas isnt' making that many, they're chargings WAY more than what I think they're worth, they are accurate, and they're selling out in weeks.

So, I think the market is out there. And if people can make accurate stuff like we're seeing on the boards right now IN THEIR GARAGE, imagine what a real fabrication company could put out.

You'd just think that knowing how much Unkie George likes money and likes licenses, why he hasnt' explored this market yet.

We've already done all the research for him! hahaha

Jer
  2. Member Since
    Mar 2002
    Oct 7, 2002, 12:28 PM - Re: Rubies makes babies cry.... #27

I'm pretty sure it is still made by Rubies. They are the only ones with the license. There are two versions of the Rubies helmet, that one, and another one for ~$50 that appears to be mostly just like the Rubies Jango.

For those costume cheapskates out there, :o , that site is also selling '97's for $60. I would email them to confirm you will get a Don Post, not a Rubies.

I also have to say...I started out with a '97, because it was 1998, and they were only $30. I painted it up, replaced the visor, tried it on with my costume, took it off, when to the costume store, and begged the guy there to sell me a '96 for $45. (They were $70, and you got a LOT more for your $70 than Rubies give for $60).

Some of you will cringe, others will cheer, when I reveal that I was so disgusted with the '97 that I threw it away, without so much as salvaging the range finder.
  3. Member Since
    Oct 2002
    Oct 7, 2002, 12:33 PM - Re: Rubies makes babies cry.... #28

I actually have a rubies Boba Fett helmet. I thought it was a DP when I ordered it. It's garbage. I'll take some pics next time I go home, so you guys can laugh.
    Oct 7, 2002, 3:25 PM - Re: Rubies makes babies cry.... #29

hey those are pretty good...

FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!!

seriously, the child costumes are pretty good considering what we had when i was a kid. remember the ben cooper costumes? hehe i allow them that one concession.

the jango and the boba helmets being crap is another story altogether.
  5. Redjaq
    Oct 7, 2002, 6:36 PM - Re: Rubies makes babies cry.... #30

The best thing about this helmet, is when your finished wearing it, you can fold it up and put it in your pocket.
  6. Member Since
    Jun 2002
    Oct 8, 2002, 2:26 PM - Re: Rubies makes babies cry.... #31

I have said this before, but I don't know if offering accurate quality replicas for public consumption is a good thing. I rather enjoy coming here and making things on my own, plus it makes my costume a little more unique, as was said, than the guy in the jango pajamas.

If I could go out and buy "licensed" Jango or Boba armor and helmet etc. cast from the original molds then so could anybody else with the desire. I would rather people know I have something that they can't just go to Toys R Us and pick up. It makes the costume seem that much more special when it is like many of ours on here one of a kind.

Just another perspective.....
    Oct 8, 2002, 4:39 PM - Re: Rubies makes babies cry.... #32

Actually Porkins, you make a good point
    Oct 8, 2002, 4:50 PM - Re: Rubies makes babies cry.... #33

I tend to agree with porkins...

How much would it suck if people with a lot
    of money to blow and no passion for costume
    making could just go out and buy a suit that
    was just as nice or nicer than the ones we've
    all been busting our butts to make on a shoe-
    string budget?

Granted, I have no problem with the small amount
    of commerce that goes on now amongst the non-licensed
    costume prop makers and those wishing to buy some
    quality merchandise to help facilitate a nice
    costume...I just don't want "Joe Rich Guy" taking
    the spotlight with his $2,500 store-bought Fett!

(no offense to anyone who bought their Fett ~ )

9. Member Since
    Mar 2002
    Oct 8, 2002, 7:24 PM - Re: Rubies makes babies cry.... #34

I tend to see Rubies as "Joe Rich Guy Inc. That Sells Crap at Inflated Prices".

Don Post, for all it's been maligned, at least sold something in '95 and '96 that turned out pretty nice with a bit of work. And the '97, as much as I hated it, was only $30...even though now people want mucho $$ for that awful thing.

Rubies should be able to give us a better product for our $20. Their $70 helmet is SO much worse than what Don Post offered for a similar price. Most people who want a decent helmet now have no option but to buy a Don Post at an inflated ebay price, or to buy an unlicensed helmet (not cheap).
  10. Purity Knight
    Oct 13, 2002, 1:54 AM - Re: Rubies makes babies cry.... #35

Redjaq wrote:The best thing about this helmet, is when your finished wearing it, you can fold it up and put it in your pocket.
    Heheh nice Clockwork Orange reference there...
    Nov 1, 2002, 9:35 AM - Re: Rubies makes babies cry.... #36

I like the 4" paintbrush silver weathering. Looks like real battle damage.

This thing is so bad you couldn't even convert it!

Flan
    Nov 1, 2002, 11:59 AM - Re: Rubies makes babies cry.... #37

man that is really crappy
    I love my rubies jango but that boba is total crap
    and $80 for the adult "deluxe" jango who are they selling to people who dont know good quality costumes exist
    man i would be ashamed to wear one of those
  13. Appolo_50
    Dec 11, 2002, 11:34 AM - Re: Rubies makes babies cry.... #38

whats even sadder is that someone is buying these on this site and turning them around on ebay for 50$ saying they are DP's
    Dec 11, 2002, 4:32 PM - Re: Rubies makes babies cry.... #39

I don't ask for Rubies to make an accurate helmet for us fans, that is our job. What I ask is that they make a better helmet that I know they can do, instead of only offering us that pice of S@#%!T.
  15. formerly slave1117a vaders right hand's Avatar
    Dec 11, 2002, 6:48 PM - Re: Rubies makes babies cry.... #40

I don't see the point in getting a license to make a quality replica. most people on this site know were to get one ,but if they sold a deluxe version like DP did for 700 bucks or so we would all pick the paint job apart. anyway so the best way i think to do it is to get a fiberglass one and do it yourself its hella cheaper than a DP deluxe and when its done in your eyes it will be perfect. "just my opinion i could be wrong"
  16. Member Since
    Oct 2002
    Dec 11, 2002, 11:15 PM - Re: Rubies makes babies cry.... #41

To be honest...TDH should get the license to make these helms. We have the best helmets whether it's a Rubies, Don Post, ect. because we know how to improve them. Not only improve them, but actual Team Members that do build them from scratch! People want at least a good quality helmet, not production line crap. That's probably why TDH membership has grown lately because of the overated junk like that puke helm with the watercolor paint. If Rubies ever added computer fans to their helms then we all know where that idea came from. Right? It's sad that a company can't satify the quality demands of what the customer wants and continue to manufacture cheap crap because they have the license and can do what ever they want. If and when Rubies License term is up, maybe we can tell Lucas who we want to make them.

17. Appolo_50
    Dec 12, 2002, 11:30 AM - Re: Rubies makes babies cry.... #42

You have a point BJF but if they gave TDH the license there everyone would be making the helmets and people wouldn't know which ones were from wich person and you would have people getting all mad that they didn't get what they thought they would. Of course it would be nice if someone on here got a liscense to do a helmet
  18. Member Since
    Oct 2002
    Dec 12, 2002, 12:38 PM - Re: Rubies makes babies cry.... #43

Why are you all so mean?

Rubies helmets are great!

They have built in dual-functionality - you can use them as a **** bucket if you get short at a convention

Steve