Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
    Jan 16, 2007, 11:20 PM - Re: Rubies before and after... #26

only the third?

I bought it warped, and for $15 for two I couldn't turn it down.
    The other one is the one being used with my armor, I'll try to get a decent pic of the helmet sometime.

The official Rubies website listed it as "item #3148 Adult Boba Fett™ Mask"
    link here
    Jan 17, 2007, 12:36 AM - Re: Rubies before and after... #27

Uh... Maybe you could build a wire frame of some sort to hold the right shape, and then line it with plaster bandages?

I don't know what its made from, and have little experiece with fiberglass, but I think that fiberglass might eat the material. Then again, I don't know how rigid the plaster would be either... Never used it...

Just some ideas. I'm sure that someone will chime in and confirm, or shoot em down.
    Jan 17, 2007, 5:19 AM - Re: Rubies before and after... #28

get a bowling ball, cram it into the bucket, then find a closet that has hot water pipes running through it. put the bucket on the dome and leave it in there for at least a week (if you don't have any hot water pipes running through a closet then get a small heater/fan from walmart and put that in the closet on the low heat setting). just keep it at a temperature in the 90's or low 100's. after about a week take it out and let it cool at room temp with the ball still inside it for a week. after that, blast it with cold water for good measure and finally take the ball out. you should have a pretty good re-formed rubies bucket at that point.
    Jan 17, 2007, 3:50 PM - Re: Rubies before and after... #29

Truly, This turned out great.... C
  5. Jan 17, 2007, 4:44 PM - Re: Rubies before and after... #30

very nice! sweet rehab!
    Jan 29, 2007, 2:20 PM - Re: Rubies before and after... #31

Thanks everyone for the compliments... I added some more pics to the top post of the rest of the helmet.

Once I hear back from T-Bone about one of his mini Fett buckets, I'm gonna eBay this thing. Its too big for my son. It scrapes his shoulders even with padding. His last Rubies helmet I guess was smaller (or shorter)... It was the two piece Jango.

How much do you guys think I should ask? $100? $125? Or is that too much for a reworked Rubies?
    Jan 29, 2007, 2:30 PM - Re: Rubies before and after... #32

why go ebay for $100? Sell it to me for $5 and we'll call it even.

I'd say $50 on 'bay would be ok for this, but you put in more work than that, so go wiht the $100...........unless you want to take me up on the $5 deal.
    Jan 29, 2007, 3:47 PM - Re: Rubies before and after... #33

I put it up for BIN at $125... I think thats a decent price considering that they sell for $65 stock. It has a good visor, has been reshaped, and has a fair paintjob. If I was looking for a cheap bucket, I'd buy it.
    Last edited by Devilstar2k2; Jan 29, 2007 at 3:53 PM.
  9. Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Feb 10, 2007, 12:19 PM - Re: Rubies before and after... #34

heres a Rubies that I reworked....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fett1-2-jpg  
    Feb 12, 2007, 2:12 AM - Re: Rubies before and after... #35

Looks great, Lloyd.
    Feb 12, 2007, 11:40 AM - Re: Rubies before and after... #36

heres my rubies boba after much work and patience.

Feb 12, 2007, 3:20 PM - Re: Rubies before and after... #37

Looks good... Got a better pic by chance?
  13. Member Since
    Jun 2006
    Feb 20, 2007, 11:33 AM - Re: Rubies before and after... #38

Quote Zurath Kodul said: View Post
    Wow, that's amazing. Is it the hard plastic or the rigid latex version?

BTW,
    Since you're so good at fixing a Rubies, would you be my hero and tell me how to fix this? It's the rigid latex version.

I've tried everything and got squat accomplished.

Thanks,
    ZK
    Not wishing to discourage you, but this bucket is the VERY same 'bucket ala carte' that I bought over a year ago. I posted here to show what a nightmare it is. I baked it in the oven, got a cold shower with it to cool it to form. Then, after one night, the bucker sorta 'remembered' it's previous form, and it was warped again. I did this three times before stricking it to my Eeyore doll (yup, I'm planning to make him Boba Eeyore as soon as I get some time), and decided to go for a decent bucket from here, which is still on a hold (real life problems, SERIOUS ones). If you can resurect that, you will be my new hero. It will need serious re-shaping, structuring and other not-so-tender care. As well as a new paintjob... For one thing, it IS agood base to try your paints on though.. Byt the way, that very helmet has been labelled as 'collector's item' is priced for as much as 75$...May the force be with you on this one. Cheers, Ville
  14. Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Apr 17, 2007, 7:08 PM - Re: Rubies before and after... #39

It that mask rubies Standard or The Collectors Helmet?
    What can I put in It to strengthen it, some people say not to use Fiberglass because it may melt it some say to use fiberglass.
    What Is the Best way
    Apr 17, 2007, 7:42 PM - Re: Rubies before and after... #40

Collectors... It doesn't really need reinforced. After the new visor is in, its plenty sturdy.
  16. Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Apr 25, 2007, 12:44 AM - Re: Rubies before and after... #41

Quote Devilstar2k2 said: View Post
    Nope... No progress pics... I didn't think anyone would be interested in seeing them. There was no real modding done to it besides the shaping. All I did was sand off the Rubies logo, wet-sand the old paint, and reform it with a blow drier.

The only tip that I can give for anyone else that wants to do one is to over form it when you reshape it. I mean REALLY over form it... The opening should look like a skinny football. Toss it in the freezer to cool, then take it out and as you handle it to cut the visor out, it'll work itself into the shape that you see in the pic. Since it was over formed, it won't go all the way back to its original shape... It also won't need a craft ring.
    Hey, if this is a naive question, be patient with me. It's my first post. And besides, I'm just starting Mando costuming.

Devilstar2k2...When you did the overforming, did you compress it from front to back? My wife is probably going to use a Rubies we bought, as it's the perfect size for her. It doesn't really seem to need a lot of shaping, but as I said, I'm new to this, so I'd like to know if I end up having to deal with a problem. Thanks.
    Apr 25, 2007, 2:09 AM - Re: Rubies before and after... #42

Yeah, front to back, with the opening shaped like a narrow football. I didn't cut the visor out until I was just about ready to paint. It was still in during the shaping. Also, for the most part, I didnt touch the dome at all, it was the bottom half of the helmet that got the squeeze.
  18. Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Apr 25, 2007, 2:21 AM - Re: Rubies before and after... #43

Thanks. I was pretty sure, but it never hurts to make certain. And yeah, I was planning on leaving the visor in until all shaping and painting are done, and then do the touch up painting. I've read enough threads while lurking to know about that. Now I've just got to find out about proper paints and filler for that vinyl. Thanks again.
    Apr 25, 2007, 2:31 AM - Re: Rubies before and after... #44

Probably a better idea to cut it out right before you do the primer... Just my opinion though.
  20. Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Apr 25, 2007, 2:42 AM - Re: Rubies before and after... #45

I guess I should have been a bit more specific. Duh! I plan on cutting most of the visor out before painting, leaving just enough to hold the mandibles in place. Despite the forming success you had and the overall good shape of the Rubies we bought, I'm still leary of having no visor at all while painting. I've never worked with vinyl before, and I'm not really looking forward to it. I appreciate the advice, though.
    Apr 25, 2007, 7:01 AM - Re: Rubies before and after... #46

Very nice paint job there! Way to go!
    Jun 5, 2010, 1:54 PM - Re: Rubies before and after... #47

I simply hate photobucket i so wanted to see the reworked rubies ... i got a rubies myself and on the edge to freak out. How to keep this thing in shape? Because it's made of vinyl, what colors should i use, that can take a little bending from time to time?