Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial

Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial

crow86 said: View Post
    Servo Shaft Attachment (.250")
    Here's the one that you will need

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

okay one last question for the peanut gallery.

Its been a few years since this thread started. the only ZipZaps i can find are on eBay for way too much money. Does anyone know where i can find fairly priced ones? Or a different type of RC car with a similar style of transmitter/reciever board? I bought the newer small RC car from radio shack the other day but the boards are entirely different. I have pretty much 0 experience with circuitry and wires so I was hoping I could find something that this tutorial would work on.

I have it all built up but I have a question about soldering the switches to the control pads and in the pictures all of the soldering is under the glue.

I'm pretty sure I did it correct (in concept) but the buttons didn't end up working. I just want to see if I'm just terrible at soldering or if I'm terrible at reading directions.

It is one switch per pad right? Like red button for top pad and black button for bottom pad? Or is it like a half and half thing? I'm as electronically inclined as a koala bear and I just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

From
    PA

Post up some pics of your circuit board and wiring. I have mine set as one switch per direction. So the up direction on the circuit is on one switch to raise the RF and the down direction to lower it.

From
    Spain

Great job! This is a great tutorial

From
    Colorado

crow86 said: View Post
    Okay from reading through this thread I understand that the controller board is removed out of the servo. But, if you are buying a servo that has a 90 degree control board in it, is it necessary to remove it? Can't you splice into the controller board with the board out of the rc?
    did you find out if this was necessary or not? I'm curious.

From
    NH

Quick question, I have a little remote control helicopter that I was thinking of dissecting to try this out. The helicopter is rechargeable and gets hooked up to the remote for charging. Will this potentially be an issue or would it be possible to hook up a battery pack to it when it is apart?

From
    Cloud City

pics might help with your question

From
    NH

good call, I got everything apart and took some pictures!img_2280-jpgimg_2281-jpgimg_2282-jpg

I am not sure it will work now, because it has an antenna like a TV remote, IR? is that right? so that may not work well since it will be inside the helmet

[COLOR="silver"]- - - Updated - - -[/COLOR]

sorry for the cat paw, he was really fascinated!

From
    Cloud City

if you have to point the remote at it, yes its a light activated control. cat paw, they just want to help.
    If its a radio remote it should say the radio frequency like 27mhz or something on the controller.
    I got my mini car at Bi-mart.

From
    NH

thanks for the info! I am just going to head to kmart this weekend and see if i can pick up a cheap mini RC car to get this going!

From
    NH

SON OF A! I think I fried something on the RC car part...saw a bright light, then some smoke and there is a burn mark on the outside of some of the hot glue. The issue appears to be a drop of solder dripped on the board connecting multiple points so when i tried it for the first time....boom!

DANG IT!

Yep, you released the magical blue smoke that makes it all work

From
    Cloud City

short circuit

From
    NH

well i was able to get a little 7 buck car from radio shack a few minutes before they closed tonight and made sure not to solder over the board! It works! This tutorial was a huge help, I would not have been able to built it without it! Thanks TD2253!

From
    NH

ok, one more question. The control board i have has little buttons built into it so it works without installing the SPST button. Here is a picture of the front and back.photo-jpg
    photo-1-jpg

Is there a way to install the SPST switches? If not its not the end of the world but i would prefer to use them because it would be easier to work into a gauntlet.

You'd just need to desolder those tactile switches and wire up your SPST's. You'll want to look at the trace to see which hole is for your positive lead. The back picture is really blurry, so I can't see to help you out there, unless you can get a better image?

From
    Cloud City

post what you bought..name make

From
    NH

here are some pictures through an actual camera and not the ipod, hope they work, it was hard to not get a glare on it.
    board-jpg board1-jpg board2-jpg

[COLOR="silver"]- - - Updated - - -[/COLOR]

Megatron said: View Post
    post what you bought..name make
    I have already thrown out the reminder parts and box. It came in a plastic clear globe from radio shack. It was not on their website when I looked because the cheapest one they had online was 11 and this was 7 in store and the last one they had in stock.

From
    Cloud City

cool I didnt think they still had those

From
    Fort Worth, TX

Hi Everyone,

I work part time for Radio Shack and as mentioned above the zip zap racer cars are hard to come by these days. I did however find another mini rc car sold there that might fit the bill. They are call atomic racers. Currently on clearance and will probably be out of stock soon as well. But you might be able to pick one up. The cost around $7. The tutorial above should still hold true for this type of rc with a few minor differences. The transmitter is different but still small and the receiver portion is different as well, but if you examine the atomic racer and compare it with the tutorial, you should be able to figure it out. I have purchased two of them and I am going to try it out tomorrow and see if it work. Hope this helps anyone having a hard time locating a zip zap racer.

-Frank

atomic-racer-jpg

From
    Fort Worth, TX

Hi Again,

I just finished testing out the Radio Shack Atomic Racer and it works great. If you cannot find the zip zap mini RC, these will work too, They are currently on clearance for about $8.00 at Radio Shack.

-Frank

From
    Utah

DarkKnight6768 said: View Post
    Hi Again,

I just finished testing out the Radio Shack Atomic Racer and it works great. If you cannot find the zip zap mini RC, these will work too, They are currently on clearance for about $8.00 at Radio Shack.

-Frank
    Sweet! thanks for the heads up!

help!tggggg-jpg

From
    Chicago, IL

Awesome love it thanks for the tutorial!

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

any info how to make the servo rotate 90degrees? not 180?