Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial

From
    Schenectady, NY

Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial

I just checked out a site that sells this servo. The math formula says that you take the power rating ( 76.6) and divide it by 16 ( oz. in a pound ) which gives you 4.76 lbs. but, for a 1" arm.

To calculate for let's say a 7" arm, you have to divide that 4.76 again, by 7 ( for the 7" ) and come up with .68 lbs. So if I understand it correctly, this servo will lift a 7" arm only if it's .68 of a lb or less.

I saw TD2253's formula previously, and it doesn't follow with what I saw on the servo site, ( no offense TD2253, I could be mistaken. )

First of all, 4 AAA are 6v, not 4.8.

Ounce per inch ( oz.-in.) / 16 gives you pounds of force, BUT only for a 1" arm. For instance 76.3 with 6 volts / 16 = 4.76 pounds of force WITH a 1" arm.

If you have a 2" arm, you take that 4.76 and / 2 which is 2.38 pounds of force for a 2" arm.

Since the RF stalk is about 7" long ( not to mention the weight of it and the topper ) we would take 4.76 / 7 = .68 or less than 3/4 of a pound of force.

So obviously the longer the arm or stalk, the force required to move it, yet weaker the servo becomes. I may need a tougher servo after all.

Does anyone know the total weight of their stalk/ topper for comparison ?

Here's the link to that formula http://www.servocity.com/html/servo_power___speed.html

From
    San Diego, California

Hey Timmer,

I ran into the same issue at one time while testing my servo system with the RF top installed. It so happens that the springs in the battery box were too compressed and not holding the battery tight enough to get a good conductivity. So, I stretched them out and tried it again and it worked better when the RF is going to the "Up" position. Like you saw in my video, it was doing a jerky movement going up....it's because of the springs in the battery box. Hope this helps!

-Gene

From
    Schenectady, NY

Thanks Gene, I'll give it a try. I may also try a more powerful servo at some point, if it will fit !

Thanks,

Tim

From
    Milton Keynes, UK

What a great tutorial, I know it's an old one, but could be useful... Sticky

From
    Newark, Delaware

There is 154 posts to this thread so I may be asking a question that may have been answered already but where did you get the low profile servo? I checked radio shack for the cars but will have to wait a little bit and no one that works there knows what i'm talking about on the servo.

From
    Schenectady, NY

Just google search for that model number, I forget what it it, but it's in this post. Be aware that it's small, and only powerful enough for certain toppers. It won't lift mine back to position, but my electronics are in the topper which obviously makes it heavier. Radio Shack is not your answer.

From
    San Diego, California

jwinnington said: View Post
    There is 154 posts to this thread so I may be asking a question that may have been answered already but where did you get the low profile servo? I checked radio shack for the cars but will have to wait a little bit and no one that works there knows what i'm talking about on the servo.
    Here is the link to the online store for the low profile servo.

Here the link for the mini-rc cars. They are not the Radio Shack brand but the electronics are similar. Good luck!

From
    Newark, Delaware

Thank you. I'll post up when I get it done.

From
    Newark, Delaware

Timmer said: View Post
    Just google search for that model number, I forget what it it, but it's in this post. Be aware that it's small, and only powerful enough for certain toppers. It won't lift mine back to position, but my electronics are in the topper which obviously makes it heavier. Radio Shack is not your answer.
    Hey Timmer,

My RF is from bobamaker and can be made to light up but the clear lens is solid. Do you think I may have a problem? I have not wired it up yet as I need to figure out the power i need to light 3 LEDs. Also i will put all the electronics in the helmet.

From
    San Diego, California

I got my rangefinder LED from Hyperdyne Labs and it uses 3 watch batteries so it didn't weigh too much. One thing that I would probably do different is that instead of casting my own clear lens out of clear resin, maybe I should've vac-formed it out of clear plastic to make it lighter.

From
    Schenectady, NY

Hi Jwinnington. I would guess that with your electronics stored in the helmet, you may be better off than I am. I have a solid aluminum stalk, a custom made topper with a solid clear piece, plus the circuit board, lights, and one watch battery in the topper, so I'm maxed out ! One thing to do that will save you a little agony is just to test it before you go through work of installing it. Just assemble it all and give it a test run, that's when I found out that my servo was to weak. One of my R2 builder buddies had a neat idea, to put a counter-weight on the opposite end of the stalk, but in the helmet.

You've got the stalk, and the hole where the bolt or whatever goes through, well, you would attach a weight on the opposite side from where the stalk is. In theory, this would go up as the stalk comes down. As the stalk starts to raise, the weight of the counter-weight would maybe assist the servo a bit. Credit for that idea goes to Jon Stokes of the R2 builders Group. I'm not in a rush to fix mine as I sort of enjoy not having to deal with more batteries, more things to worry about, but I'm sure I'll give in and start shopping for a better servo that will fit. Plus, I'm an ESB Fett and the gauntlets aren't as convenient for storing the remote as the ROTJ gauntlets are.

I may even have to get a new stalk system that's lighter.

From
    Newark, Delaware

I have my bucket loaded up as it is. I will try to organize it a little better now with the servo coming in. I bought the Radio Shack amp after the newton, as the newton was way to big and I didn't like the fact my voice was coming from my crotch area. I mounted two little speakers aiming down from inside either cheek but people still had trouble hearing me outside. So i dropped the speakers down into my neck seal and it works great but it a real hassle to pull my bucket off to get a drink. I have two computer fans on either side with batteries. One sucks the air in and the other blows it out. I also use the Radio Shack hearing amp. I mounted it in my front right thigh pocket and sewed the wire up on the inside of the flight suit which goes to an ear piece so now I can hear over my fans and its at the right height for the kids to be of value. No more running over little children. I think the problem of space in my helmet could be overcome by a single, replaceable power source. I have 5 9 volts batteries now and more to come with the servo. My electronics knowledge is limited as it is but if anyone could come up with a design to run everything we need in our helmets off one type of battery. That would be awesome! And like you say Timmer and i believe.........A solution will present itself

On the other, The solid clear resin block i guess we'll call it. bobamaker made his with this reflective green stripping located on the back and I think if I was to power up 2 red and 1 green LEDs that that would give the look of an active RF. kind of how the night-vision goggles glowed back in the face of the user ever so slightly. Your idea of a hollow clear resin piece would work the best as there would be no weight issue. If you do it, try to add the green glow. A movie shot of the RF in action would have been great though. I ordered the servo and the car yesterday so i am on my way.

From
    Newark, Delaware

I am having a hard time soldering the wires to the remote board. I got the zip zap model and its not quite the same layout as the one you put in your post. I can get the car from your link but will it be easier to get together? The car layout wasn't the same either. i believe i messed up somewhere.

first of all hi, i have been off these boards for a long time. i put one of these in my boba helmet years ago. but i'm wanting to use this app. for a totally different project . i am wondering about the servo itself. is this particular one on this thread a realy slow moving servo. I need to find one that is the slower the better. I am going to use this app. for a remote control focus puller for my video camera. thanks , cory

Great tutorial! Boba could go into battle with that almost! Not only is it creative, it's very electronically detailed and properly done. You used heat shrink tubing which is fine, I just hope others in the future know of a good supplier, with good PFA Properties, which means it will be vibration resistant and chemically inert, is Fluorotherm.com

From
    Tatooine

Will any zip zap rc car work on this? I'm looking for the TF cars but they do not seem to be avail anymore..

like this one? :
    ZipZaps - Porsche 911 Turbo Micro Remote Control (Red) | eBay

Does the mhz amount matter?

From
    Cloud City

the mhz is the channel the signal is on
    27 or 49mhz
    is someone else is using the same signal channel hehe well you will know

also I found micro rc trucks at Bi-Mart for $8 in Oregon
    Last edited by Megatron; Nov 18, 2011 at 1:41 AM.

From
    Cloud City

hmm the cars I got take 3 AA bats so I know I should use 3 AA for the remote control switches but as for the receiver board and servo should I use 4 AA or will that fry the receiver board?

From
    PA

Okay from reading through this thread I understand that the controller board is removed out of the servo. But, if you are buying a servo that has a 90 degree control board in it, is it necessary to remove it? Can't you splice into the controller board with the board out of the rc?

From
    Germany

Hi,

Ive read this great tutorial, and I just want to try it on my helmet. Now Im looking for a servo motor which will work and drive the stalk. Works the Hitec HS 77-bb well? then I look to get it in Germany. Ive thought about to use this servo controller. What do you think will it work?

Greetings
    Jack

From
    Fort Worth, TX

Wow!!! That is a great tutorial you pur together. Also reading through this thread, I see there are a lot of very knowledgeable members providing encouragement and suggestions to the succesful implementation of this project. Great work!! I look forward to learning from all my fellow members so I too can build a quality Fett suit.

Frank

From
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Cant find the sevro in store.....amazon.com here i come! got my zipzap new from a friend.

TD2253 said: View Post
    You can get the servo HERE and you will also need to get one of THESE for your stalk but make sure you get the Hitec one. I'll post a short tutorial on connecting the stalk to the servo later.
    The servo stalk link isn't working anymore. Can someone post a new link or a part number please?

From
    PA

Servo Shaft Attachment (.250")
    Here's the one that you will need