RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial

From
    Dayton, OH.

Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial

awesome tutorial man!! thanks for posting this.... i will definately be useing this on my costum mando.

From
    RIVERBANK CA

freakin genious I'm gonna do it. I'm so glad you figured this out so I wont have to. great tutorial.

Wow I WAS out of it for too long

That is just awesome :thumbup

So the big question is .... how much for a hook up on this (parts and labor)

Great job my friend !

FP

From
    San Diego, California

Thanks for the compliments Grindking and Babyfett!

Hey Chris...PM coming your way dude!

From
    Currently in Middle Georgia, United States

Very cool tutorial, I have to try it out

From
    San Diego, California

Thanks Goauld! Would love to see your WIP pics!

From
    Alberta Canada

that is absolutely brilliant! well done!

did you use the toy just because you already had it?
    because there are very small simple RF units on evilbay that could likely do the job for you for under $10, would just save all the gutting/modding of the toy to get what you need.

From
    San Diego, California

Anomaly said: View Post
    that is absolutely brilliant! well done!

did you use the toy just because you already had it?
    because there are very small simple RF units on evilbay that could likely do the job for you for under $10, would just save all the gutting/modding of the toy to get what you need.
    Thanks! There was actually an old tutorial here on TDH on this from a few years back that really inspired me, but it wasn't detailed on how everything worked. The tutorial was a very basic one page brief summary on the subject. The old tutorial didn't explain the process in detail, and it seems that it assumed the reader is already familiar with electronics and RC technology. So, having the knack on tinkering with electronics and such, I had to try it and write a step-by-step tutorial that everyone can follow.

I used the Zip Zap RC cars coz they are inexpensive and the electronics on both the car and the RC transmitter are both small enough to fit inside the helmet and the left gauntlet. Also, the circuitry was simple enough to modify to accomplish what I need for it to do.

Welcome to TDH and good luck with your Fett quest!

From
    Michigan USA

Wow. I'm definitely gonna do this when i get my helmet together. Thanks for the help man!

From
    Brisbane, Australia

First of all: great tutorial. I'm about to start making mine and have a couple of questions. Servo city allows you to get a servo with 90 or 180 degrees of motion, which one would you recommend? Do I have to use 4xAAA batteries or is this going to be determined by which particlular board I'm using?

From
    San Diego, California

Bossywalker said: View Post
    First of all: great tutorial. I'm about to start making mine and have a couple of questions. Servo city allows you to get a servo with 90 or 180 degrees of motion, which one would you recommend? Do I have to use 4xAAA batteries or is this going to be determined by which particlular board I'm using?
    Thanks Bossywalker! To answer your question about the servo, you only need to get the basic which is the 90 degrees. You won't need it since you're gonna be gutting out the servo controller anyway.

For batteries, if you will be using the zip zap circuit boards, then yes, you will need them since the circuit runs at 4 volts anymore than that and it will fry the circuit board. If you are gonna be using other RC circuits besides zip zaps, then I suggest using what is required by the manufacturer to run the device.

From
    Brisbane, Australia

Ah, that makes sense, I kinda forgot that we bypass the controller. I figured that the number of batteries depends on the board. Can't wait to get started. My Bobamaker order arrives next week!!

Have someone ever tryed to do this on the MR helmet ?

Have the MR, but not sure howI will fix it,... I think I will make more dmg then good

From
    Long Island

This is genius.

From
    San Diego, California

Little TK Boy said: View Post
    Have someone ever tryed to do this on the MR helmet ? Have the MR, but not sure howI will fix it,... I think I will make more dmg then good
    I'm not sure if it will work coz the stalk mechanism is different on the MR helmet. The base of the stalk has a notch to keep it from coming down, how hard is it to manually lower the stalk considering the notch? If it doesn't take much effort, you can try modding the stalk to fit over the servo spline and see if it'll move without much effort. The servo can handle about 8 lbs. of force to move a 7" long stalk.

Here is the formula:

oz-inch/16 = pounds of force (1" arm) Now, since the BKBT aluminum RF stalk is 6.5 inches long and the servo is rated at 61.1 oz-inch @ 4.8 volts (4 AAA battery pack = 4.8 volts and I'll just round off the stalk length at 7") then our formula should look like this:

61.1/7 = 8.73 pounds of force @ 4.8 volts

peanutbutterstrangle said: View Post
    This is genius.
    Thanks for the compliment.

Wow, thanks for great tutorial - I put it to use and, YES, it works! Thanks.

One observation - you must be the best soder-er on planet to get the wires on the board not to conect the circuit on the "pads". After overheating and destroying the left side controls, I used the right side with same results, but the "split the pad with an exacto-knife" was the way to go.

thanks for the tutorial i'll start make one of that soon^_^

very good tutorial.

From
    Debrecen, Hungary

This really looks like a good idea.. but all the wires confuse me ahaha..

Great tutorial, I see a lot of applications for this even in my R2 unit!

From
    Schenectady, NY

Well, I gave it a try, but what a frustrating experience ( no fault of TD 2253's )/

The Zip Zap I bought had different colored wires, a different control pad... so I had to sort through these issues. This was frustrating, but do -able. When it came time to connect the servo to it's board though, the wire coloring totally threw me. and it became "test every possible connection" time. Eventually i heard a noise from the servo !! I was sooo close !

As I depressed the buttons, I could hear a motor noise, but noticed that the servo wasn't really turning anything. After many attempts, I took the servo apart. Everything looked o.k. I ran it a bit just to make sure the gears turned and it still looked good. When I put the servo back together, no luck, this time a super high pitched tone, that you would not hear unless you were very close to the servo and the room was very quiet. More experimentation and after countless attempts to fix the servo and put it together again, I have concluded that the servo is garbage. One of the gears appears to not sit very well in it's "spot" and when it hangs up, you get the high pitched whine from the motor not being able to move anything.

I had a few choice curse words for the manufacturer, then I decided to leave the work bench for another day, too much stress over a simple project.

I have to decide if it's worth blowing another chunk of change on a new servo or not.

It also occurred to me that since I'm doing an ESB Fett, there are no legit spots on the gauntlets to put the buttons. I was thinking of somewhere hidden on the belt or even in the pouch. I would be able to just use the zip zap remote as-is !

The tutorial is awesome, and a great help, I'm just bummed about the servo nonsense.

Time for some FOOD !

From
    currently Slave 1

I both fell stupid and I hate to ask but I'm reaaally inexperianced so here it goes:
    what do the electronics in there do?

From
    Schenectady, NY

I'm not sure if this will answer your question, but here goes .....

The two remote control buttons basically tell another device "go this way" or " go that way".

When the receiving end is hooked to the servo motor, the signal tells the servo to spin "one way" or "the other". So, by depressing one button, your Rf lowers ( on mine the LED's are on mercury switch , so they blink automatically in the down position ) and the other button makes the servo spin the opposite direction, which is "up".

From
    San Diego, California

Thanks for the comments guys and and thanks to Timmer for answering Mandalorian Guy's question. I'm glad the device is working for most of you except for the minor servo issues.

From
    Phenix City, AL

batninja said: View Post
    This is one of the most well-planned and documented tutorials I've ever seen on TDH! Whatever you do, don't delete the pics attached to this thread...EVER!
    PLEASE...no one panic about the dissapearing of this thread or it's pics, since I've took the liberty of copying the whole thread (minus the responses) to convert it in either an MS Word and/or PDF file as a DOWNLOADABLE TUTORIAL.

I perfectly understand what batninja says, cause I've seen interesting "STICKY" threads in different forums, and all of the sudden.... they dissapear. I will be posting a WORD or PDF file soon in here.

BTW, I also agree with batninja (which I haven't seen in YEARS); this is a GREAT example of a tutorial. Well documented and step-by-step, rarely seen in any forums. There was a similar tutorial 6 years ago about the very same thing....but yours is BETTER DOCUMENTED (somehow), since technology changes from day to day. I'm adding to the list of items to have the plastic "motherboard thingies" used to mount the servo to the side, which were not in the original list.

Posting the file soon.