Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Rotj Build Up

From
    Victoria, British Columbia

Re: Esb to Rotj Build Up

Lots of good stuff man. Looking forward to seeing more of your armor paint up.

For the boots, you don't need specific fabric paint, but just regular acrylics. I did this indoors, and it dried in no time. It's true that the canvas does soak up the paint - which is good actually. I would recommend an acrylic wash for the boots over rattlecan any day. The wash spreads the paint along the canvas, giving it an airbrushed look. From your pics, I get the feeling some areas on your boots are a bit blotchy. What do you think? I think you can fix that with some sand paper and water to blend the harder lines. Don't be afraid with acrylics. You can always paint over top

From
    Ferndale, MI

Thanks for the advice
    I should have been more specific! The fabric paint is an acrylic paint, which I used on the canvas part of the boot in various stages of washes. Eventually my washes would have less and less water, since the canvas part of the boot was pretty damp at that point. The part that gave me and issue was the Black elastic parts, that run up the sides of the boot, near the ankle. That material just soaks up any paint wash, even just straight paint!
    For the Black elastic part, i plan to just mask that area off and lightly dusting it with some dark gray spray paint, so that the elastic matches the center stripe.
    The boots do seem blotchy in the photographs, ( which are from a ****** camera phone), but in person the paint blends much much better. I have areas of browns, purples, even white areas that are roughed up with sandpaper and steel wool.
    Once I am done, my sister in law is going to hook me up with a professional photo shoot, but until then, my camera phone is all i have to work with

boots-d-jpg
    Last edited by MrDickJones; Nov 21, 2013 at 9:23 AM.

From

Gotcha in that case- awesome! Haha!

Spray paint will definitely help on the elastic part. I chose to go more black with the centre stripe. Now you got me thinking again to rough it up even further

From
    Rockford, IL

MrDJ, you are doing a great job on this build. Very impressive work.

What are your thoughts on the MOW balaclava? I have been kicking around at getting one of those for accuracy or get an under armor style one to use so that it wicks the sweat away, which I know I will need.

From
    Ferndale, MI

Deathproof- yeah i might even go alittle darker, the exhibit pic i used and the rotj screen cap vary greatly! I want the boots to have more of a brown hue to them, since i really want my suit to be rotj movie accurate.
    I will post a better pic tonight....

Toolguy- thanks for the compliment... Wellllllll, the quality is amazing, it is the same material as the neckseal, which is a very light weight nylon, i think. I dont know how well it works for sweating, since i have tried it on twice for two seconds. For a larger head ( i wear a size 7 3/8 hat), the balacava might be e too small. If my head was one size smaller, this would fit brillantly!

In the next day or so i will be posting a couple things in the cargo hold, rkd v2 armor, fiberglass shoulders, couple other things and this balacava......

From
    Ferndale, MI

I took some better pictures of my boots, lighting is a bit weird, but again....camera phone's all I have
    20131121_181823-jpg20131121_181637-jpg
    I also took a photo of the great Kcr7pr harness. I will have to trim up my current back armor, but that should be an easy fix....
    20131121_175338-jpg
    I also worked on closure for my MOW neckseal. I saw in a reference photo from the gallery that some metal clips were used ( at least one from what I could see). they sell these clips at Jo-Anne fabrics, so i picked up a set. I am also going to add Velcro to keep the neckseal from bunching in the front..
    20131121_175652-jpg20131121_175751-jpg
    and finally....
    At my work there are concrete posts in the parking structure that remind me of something .....
    20130909_190739-jpg
    Last edited by MrDickJones; Nov 22, 2013 at 6:43 PM.

From
    Ferndale, MI

So it has been 6 weeks since my open heart surgery, and today I finally felt like i could try everything that i had ready on....
    This is the first time i have tried to put everything on...... boy oh boy.
    First thing i noticed... Knee armor needs velrco to stay put, i would take two steps and they hit the floor, lol
    second thing is my toe spikes... I attached them just using screws, but they 100% need to be glued.... side note when i walked on my ceramic basement tile floor, the toe spikes sounded like spurs , wrong Fett though
    I attached a diver buckle to my Kcr7pr harness and did not line it up right, so the buckle does not sit center, will have to fix that....
    This was just a test fit, and with everything on, i had to take photos pretty fast, since i am still not 100%....any way, please excuse the terrible camera phone...
    2-jpg1-jpg

From

Love that helmet, man. Looks so intense.

How did it feel when you tried it on? That's a long time to be building something before testing it.

Definitely will follow some of your tips - I had a feeling velcro (even with elastic) was needed for the knees.

I wouldn't worry so much about the buckle position - Raf has a few images of it being off center. Being a bit OCD, it would drive me nuts, but apparently it's screen accurate even if it isn't dead center.

Had no idea about your surgery. Get well soon man!

From
    Ferndale, MI

Thanks! This was actually the first time i put the helmet on, with padding in it, lol
    It was the first thing i bought, almost 3 years ago.....

My wife was at work when I suited up, so tomorrow i will have her take better pictures.....
    The harness needs to be adjusted, sticks waaayy to far out in the back right now...
    My knees came with 2in padding on the inside, that i removed, but now i will be re-installing the padding, and adding velcro...
    The first thing that i Have to do is change the buckle location...i think Fett building made me ocd....

Thanks!! this was my third and hopefully last heart surgery this year, so I will be sure to keep my mind occupied during my time off.....lots of stuff to do, so little time...
    Last edited by MrDickJones; Nov 25, 2013 at 11:58 PM.

From
    Pennsylvania

Man I hope your doing better, I had no idea. Anyway the suit looks great, and take it easy when your trying to work on it, don't do too much.

From
    Galati, Romania

Sorry to hear about the heart surgeries and I hope everything is well now! Stay calm and don't work yourself over!

As DeathProof said, the buckle is not perfectly centered and with a bit of adjustment you will get it right; most of the times this is hidden under the vest or the ammo belt. Keep up the great work!

From
    Ferndale, MI

Thanks guys.. If you have the means, everyone should atleast get an Echocardiogram. Around my parts they have 7 tests for $70, I thank my wife everyday for dragging me there (kicking and screaming I might add), lol

Believe me, I am working at a snails' pace here..

From
    Ferndale, MI

Ok, Today I took some better pictures.... I busted out my Duct tape mannequin..... I really need to get a good mannequin off of Ebay, but for now this will do...
    1-jpg2-jpg3-jpg4-jpg
    I couldn't fit my MOW gloves on these latex hands I have been using, might have to dig out my old ROTJ gloves for now...

WOW! you sir have done an amazing job! Im currently in the RnD phase, and am currently planning an ROTJ build next year, hopefully starting once I get my taxes back. If possible, could you post or PM a list of where you got all your pieces from? Once again, awesome work bud! Also, good luck with the surgeries! I had an ex who went through a lot of open heart surgeries, so I have a good idea of what you're going through. Take it easy, and thanks again for the wonderful ideas!

From
    Ferndale, MI

Thanks for the kind words....
    My first suggestion would be, don't try to cut corners if you don't have too....
    I probably ended up spending double, because all I am doing now is upgrading my budget items!!

I guess it is time for a part list, since I am nearing completion now.....

Helmet: Asok Budget Cold Cast
    Chin strap: Ebay- from vintage riot helmet
    Studs-6 resin studs: Ebay
    US Diver Co. Belt/buckle: Ebay
    Shin Toolsreal patterson parts
    Micro Files: eBay
    EE-3 Blaster/scope: Soon to arrive from Sidewinder
    Boots: Man of War studios 2013
    Neckseal: MOW
    ROTJ Gloves: MOW
    Helmet seal/Balacava: MOW
    Flak Jacket: Batninja
    V2 Armor: Backplate/Cod armor/Knee armor:RKD
    V3 Armor: Shoulder,chest,collar,kidney: RKD
    Gauntlets/Greeblies: RKD
    Chestlights: Fettronics
    Knee Darts: Bobamaker- resin
    Chest/shoulder weathered decal: Bobamaker
    Jetpack greeblies: Bobamaker
    Gauntlet Hose/Metal connectors: Home Depot
    Rangefinder lights: Jc27
    Braids: Woodman
    Cape: Woodman
    Jetpack-thrusters,rocket,caps: Fett Seven
    Jetpack-Body: Scratchbuilt and painted by Myself
    Girthbelt: Second hand from TDH member- Mohair
    Ammobelt: Batninja tutorial built by TDH member
    ROTJ Side Pouches: TDH member
    Scope Rings: Member on TDH
    Boot Spikes: MojoFett 2012?
    ROTJ jumpsuit/spats: Arkady
    Jetpack harness: Kcr7pr
    Fan kit: Evilboy
    Last edited by MrDickJones; Apr 18, 2014 at 7:01 AM.

From
    Rockford, IL

Looking good MrDJ. Hope all is well with your heart & don't over due it.

Amazing project, love to see how people have their own ways and techniques to build

From
    Ferndale, MI

thanks guys!
    Toolguy- It is not easy to turn off a "Fett Brain" lol, I have every single part ( as far as i know and hope) and every single part needs something done to it...
    But for now I am just going to do the prep stuff, and get ready for paint in the spring....
    OnnoHeesbeen- I think i have read a million threads, the old "measure twice, cut once" method, learning from others mistakes. Love your work as well! I think i may attempt a scratch helmet one of these days, but for now my a.d.d. won't let me, lol

From
    Ferndale, MI

Small update.... awhile back I made some gauntlet darts and scope rings on Sketchup and sent them in to Shapeways, and they finally arrived.
    at this point i have real scope rings, so i won't be using the printed ones....
    the darts turned out pretty cool i think, i am not sure if they are too small, they look alot better in person...
    20131206_122711-jpg20131206_122719-jpg20131206_232415-jpg20131206_232557-jpg
    the shadow underneath the darts make the tips look dull, when in fact they are quite pointy!

From
    Rockford, IL

I so know what you mean about not being able to turn off the "Fett Brain" it is an obsession.

What are your thoughts on the quality of the 3d printed stuff? Do they seem pretty strong? I have been kicking around having some things made that way.

From
    Ferndale, MI

Since this was my first printing, i went with the cheap plastic material, and i am actually pretty impressed. The darts are pretty solid with very little flex, and the detail is very good. For 4 $ i am not complaining,
    toolguy301 said: View Post
    I so know what you mean about not being able to turn off the "Fett Brain" it is an obsession.

What are your thoughts on the quality of the 3d printed stuff? Do they seem pretty strong? I have been kicking around having some things made that way.

From
    Douglasville, Ga.

We have a 3d printer at work, but haven't been too blown away at the strength of the stuff. Maybe for a bigger, less detailed part, but I don't think it would take much to break one of the darts....

From
    Ferndale, MI

The darts are actually can withstand a good amount of bending. My measurements were a little off, and in mm, that's a big deal! I might bend them to see how much they can take before they break. ..
    Last edited by MrDickJones; Jan 11, 2014 at 2:35 PM.

From
    Douglasville, Ga.

Haha! Destructive testing! My personal fave!
    As cool as your stuff looks you're gonna want some nice metal ones anyway!
    Got my ESB suit weathered and got my ROTJ suit ordered from Arkady. Ready for my hard parts to get in....

From
    Ferndale, MI

Re: Rotj Build Up

Been awhile, but I had a few spare hours to kill, so I did some work to fix up my duct-tape mannequin. I still need to adjust my flak jacket, which is slightly too big. Still so much to do, and so little time....
    20140119_151146-jpg20140119_151248-jpg20140119_163523-jpg20140119_163614-jpg