Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    May 12, 2005, 5:40 PM - Re: ESB Color list and Rouge Studios\' techniques*update pic* #151

I'm getting ready to order all my paints for the big project.. Just had a few questions about the list..

For the Rangefinder ear, RS has 'Earth' , but Lord Fett has 'Panzer dark yellow' .. was it originally yellow and RS later edited to the earth?

Did we ever discover what a good color to mix with the doped linen was? I've found the Panzer Dunkelgelb, but not in Acrylic..

and any other good 'unsure' color discoveries that anyone has made along the way would be real helpful..

I've read so many different stories on the Box car red, that I don't think I even wanna ask about that one..

Any help would be great..

Tension
    Aug 9, 2005, 8:51 AM - Re: ESB Color list and Rouge Studios\' techniques*update pic* #152

Hey all!

Color question for suggestions: I'm combing through the Ref pics for detail, but I'm not sure what color to go with for the dull scratch color around the chrome chips on the tp of the dome and the cheeks. Is this a greyish color? a dark green-grey? It tends to look like a lot of different colors. Any help would be great!

Shinobi
    Aug 9, 2005, 9:20 AM - Re: ESB Color list and Rouge Studios\' techniques*update pic* #153

IS there anyway we could stick this to the top of this forum ? Its the best reference we have !
    Aug 9, 2005, 2:57 PM - Re: ESB Color list and Rouge Studios\' techniques*update pic* #154

Quote Got Maul said:
    IS there anyway we could stick this to the top of this forum ? Its the best reference we have !

Once again I agree
    Aug 9, 2005, 3:21 PM - Re: Rogue Studios' ESB Color list & Painting Techniques #155

woo hoo ! this thread is immortal ...god I have too much free time on my hands...:I
    Aug 9, 2005, 4:19 PM - Re: Rogue Studios' ESB Color list & Painting Techniques #156

IT bubbles to the surface like fine wine hehe
  7. Member Since
    Aug 2005
    Aug 11, 2005, 12:09 PM - Re: Rogue Studios' ESB Color list & Painting Techniques #157

hey, can you explain to me what RLM, PRR, MILW means?

also i was wondering what kind of paints are these? are they spray or brush on.....

thanks so much...
  8. Rogue Studios is offline Rogue Studios
    Sep 10, 2005, 10:54 AM - Re: Rogue Studios' ESB Color list & Painting Techniques #158

RLM's are german Air Force colors. MILW stands for Milwalkee(sp). PRR is Pacific railroad. All of these designations are on the particular bottle.

Lee
  9. Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Sep 10, 2005, 11:06 AM - Re: Rogue Studios' ESB Color list & Painting Techniques #159

Sorry Lee.
    Gotta correct you. It's Pennsylvania rail road. PRR.

Old model railroader here.

Oct 12, 2005, 8:07 AM - Re: ESB Color list and Rouge Studios' techniques*update pic* #160

Lets discuss the yellow-ish / grey on the back of the helmet.

Quote Jango_Fett_Jr said:
    One colour I don't see is the back of the helmet, the yellow-ish grey scratches. Has that colour been IDed?
    After re-reading this entire thread, and searching the helmet forum, I still havn't found a generally accepted color for this part of the helmet.

Quote Baddblood said:
    I had used Doped Linen originally ... it was a little too green, almost neon at times IMHO.
    I agree 100% Baddblood. I went with the masking method on my helmet, Chrome, Doped Linen, then the Euro I Dark Green (mixed with RLM 24 blue), and the Doped Linen looks like a neon yellow/green.

I plan on going to the hobby shop to get a replacement color(s), but I wanted to toss out the options and see what the consensus may be. Here is what I could find:

- Doped Linen (RS post 125 in this thread)
    - Panzer Dunkelgelb 1943 (Jango's Kid post 126 in this thread)
    - Sand & Up Armor Yellow (Darth Miller in his thread)
    - Khaki & Humbrols Egg Blue (Steve the Swede in his thread)
    - ? (SpideyFett what did you use?)

I am leaning toward the Panzer Dunkelgelb 1943, but I would like to get some feedback from those that have finished their helmets. Also, a single color is easier to nail down, than a personal mixture of two colors.

Gator

P.S. The list in post #1 still does not contain a line item for this color on the helmet. Could that post be edited, to at least ID the need for a yellow-ish / grey color on the back of the helmet.
  11. Oct 12, 2005, 9:05 AM - Re: Rogue Studios' ESB Color list & Painting Techniques #161

At least someone used the search function! Yeah!!
    Yes add it to the top stickey! Please
    Great point Maul!!
    Oct 12, 2005, 12:01 PM - Re: Rogue Studios' ESB Color list & Painting Techniques #162

Quote crazy4BobaFett said:
    At least someone used the search function! Yeah!!
    Yes add it to the top stickey! Please
    Great point Maul!!
    This thread has been stuck at the top of the Helmet forum for the past month or so. But thanks for support.
    Oct 12, 2005, 3:15 PM - Re: Rogue Studios' ESB Color list & Painting Techniques #163

Lee told me to mention that Doped Linen is (probably) wrong, he just hasnt had time to go back and research that particular colour lately. So I guess the way to go about that colour is to experiment. Let us know what you decide to use Gator
    Oct 13, 2005, 11:11 AM - Re: Rogue Studios' ESB Color list & Painting Techniques #164

I bought the Panzer Dunkelgelb 1943, but its not right either. It is a little better than the Doped Linen, but it is too green, and does not match. I also picked up a bottle of Sand, to try Darth Millers mix, since I already have the Up Armor Yellow.

The Sand is very light, so I went 2 parts Sand to 3/4 parts Up Armor Yellow. It worked out to about the right tint of color but it was too bright. I added in a few drops of Black to tone it down a bit, and it looks pretty good.

While I was at the hobby shop I noticed a few collors in the "desert cammo" line that look real close. IIRC there was a color called Desert Sand that was darker than plain Sand and may be closer to what we are looking for. Next time I make it to the store I am going to pick up a bottle and give it a try.

Gator
    Oct 13, 2005, 11:14 AM - Re: Rogue Studios' ESB Color list & Painting Techniques #165

I used a Tamiya paint called Sand.
    Oct 13, 2005, 8:50 PM - Re: Rogue Studios' ESB Color list & Painting Techniques #166

I used Model master "Sand", mix in a little testors "panzer dark yellow" and also mixed in a little model masters "euro dark green." In the reference pics you can see that though it's light, there is a hint of green in there.
    Oct 14, 2005, 7:54 AM - Re: Rogue Studios' ESB Color list & Painting Techniques #167

Quote webchief said:
    I used a Tamiya paint called Sand.
    I don't want to get too far off topic, but that was just the 2000th post for webchief.

Go webchief! Look out MiraxH.

Nov 15, 2005, 12:32 PM - Re: Rogue Studios' ESB Color list & Painting Techniques #168

To echo the toughts from previous posts, I think the ESB Armour, gauntlets, and JP are all the same color as the helmet dome/cheeks.

So far, I used testors spray enamels (flat SAC Bomber green) on my bucket, so I think that's what I'll do for the rest of the armour (ESB) but one thing eludes me... A good color for the back of the bucket. I read that Euro dark green is the accepted color. What would be the equivalent to the floquil bottled acrylics? I'm thinking the Modelmaster Euro green might work, yes/no?

When I'm finished, I'm going to make a colour chart of spray cans that can be used without an airbrush and/or mixing. Several people I think, have asked for this method, so it's a bit of an experiment.

Shinobi

edit: ModelMaster Euro Green is not in a spray... crud, that sets me back... Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Shinobi_Fett; Nov 15, 2005 at 12:38 PM.
    Nov 15, 2005, 1:24 PM - Re: Rogue Studios' ESB Color list & Painting Techniques #169

Does anyone have any more tips on making the colors "deeper" as it says in the tutroial at www.starwarshelmets.com (esb)? Do I use the dullcote after I put the main colors on, then make the colors "deeper" then dullcote again if I am going topical???
    Nov 15, 2005, 2:37 PM - Re: Rogue Studios' ESB Color list & Painting Techniques #170

Hurm.... in some shots, the dome looks the same color as the chest armour, pack and gauntlets. In some the chest pieces look like the brighter, medium green.... I wish there was an exhibit with the ESB used armor. (chest, gauntlets, cod, pack) That woould solve everything! Look:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compare-1.jpg 
Views:	1712 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	6879   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compare-2.jpg 
Views:	1734 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	6880  
    Nov 15, 2005, 3:50 PM - Re: Rogue Studios' ESB Color list & Painting Techniques #171

Ohhh don't get me started on that ESB armour. I swear it changes colour in every shot...
    Nov 15, 2005, 4:33 PM - Re: Rogue Studios' ESB Color list & Painting Techniques #172

OK, I'm sure this is common knowledge, but the ESB armour is not the same as ROTJ... Colour-wise tat is. The ROTJ armour is definately the Med Green, wereas the ESB armour matches the dome/cheek color closer. Some pieces do look different tints, but the same general range. The scarring is also different between styles. Look:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AoSW_2002-07-10_53.jpg 
Views:	1697 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	6881  
  23. Rogue Studios is offline Rogue Studios
    Feb 3, 2006, 5:16 PM - Re: Rogue Studios' ESB Color list & Painting Techniques #173

It's all in the weathering I promise. Although the armor is a different color than helmet it's going to be difficult to definitively say what color is correct for ESB armor. I would say whatever looks good to you but weathering it is key and finding out the color under the weathering.

Peace out

Lee
    Mar 30, 2006, 10:55 PM - Re: Rogue Studios' ESB Color list & Painting Techniques #174

Question to any and all: I got a bottle of Boxcar Red from the Testors website, but it's kind of dull looking. Upon further inspection, the list in the first post recommends enamel, and looking at the bottle I got, it's acrylic. I haven't tested it out yet, but I was just wondering if anyone else had used acrylic Boxcar Red and what the results were.
    Mar 30, 2006, 11:08 PM - Re: Rogue Studios' ESB Color list & Painting Techniques #175

The acrylic boxcar red is a little dull, even when dried. A lot of people have brightened it up with other reds. I'm not sure if the enamel is any brighter.