Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Rogue Studios' ESB Color list & Painting Techniques

From
    Montrose, PA

Re: ESB Color list and Rouge Studios' painting techniques

Rogue Studios wrote:

The knees ar misted with UP armor yellow. But mist in streaks if that makes sense it's kind of splotchy. It creates a darker shadowy area. Do you happen to have any photos of the shoulders from AOSW? you can see a slightly darker yellow misted on the bells.
    Lee
    Lee, I painted my bells and knees today using the Reefer yellow. I sprayed the full bottle on both sets of armor, but it is still as yellow as can be. It is no where near turning the orangish yellow as I think it should as in your armor pic and on the CD.... Should I get another bottle and spray it on?

I sprayed the Med Green on the armor and it looks great!!!

Does the green armor have the black wash to darken it and blend everything in as well like the helmet?

Lynn

Re: ESB Color list and Rouge Studios' techniques*update pic*

Not sure what to say about the Orange thing but have you worked it with UP armor yellow yet? Also the knees and shoulders really are that Orange I think they just photograph that way. I probably should put out a warning * results may vary. Glad to hear about the green.

Lee

From
    Montrose, PA

I have sprayed some of the up armor yellow and you can see some darker spots. I'll try to photograph it and see what I get.
    It looks really good, don't get me wrong, it just isn't what I was expecting.
    Maybe when I do some weathering on it and clear it flat, it'll change.

Does the green armor have the black wash like the helmet?

Lynn

I see what you mean. Hang in there it'll turn out ok...also a key factor make damn sure you shake up those bottles really well a lot of the pigment settles I ran into that on the green for the armor.

Lee

From
    Montrose, PA

Thanks man! Oohh, I stirred the heck out those bottles......

Here are pics of my repainted green armor with the Med US green, almost finished except for some final weathering scratchs and the final clear flat. A black wash has been applied.

The bells and knees have not recieved any weathering yet. I'm still deciding if I need more Reefer yellow, the UP armor yellow has been applied splotcy and streaky.

LMK what you think.

Lynn

I would seal those knees and shoulders with a light hit of a semi-gloss and that should do it and then apply weathering.

Lee

From
    Montrose, PA

Thanks, So the yellow color looks OK? When complete, should do a final seal of semi gloss or do a flat?

Should I do a final seal of semi gloss on the green or do it flat?

I have always done flat, but.....

Lynn

Perhaps someone in this thread who has painted their bucket ESB colors and done a succesful job of it might want to make a full tutorial.

Something which explains in detail the steps required to make a masterpiece such as their own helmet.

Perhaps even a small diagram with numbers which detail what part is what (ie: mandibles?) and what the best method of painting that area would be.

Surely this person would be considered a TDH god by all for the foresight to enlighten the rest of us.

Oh come on, just make the damn tutorial already LOL.

Regards,
    OK

Even better they could make a printable paint-by-number template. Cut it out and put it on and paint away!
    OK, I guess it wasn't that funny.

From
    Beattyville, KY

TK-0000 as funny as it may sound it isnt that far from the truth. I know there are some members that are working on a project similar to what you have said and it may see daylight but then again it may never reach completion. Let us unskilled painters hope for the best.

LOL TK0000 just make sure the numbers are clearly printed so I can tell what I'm painting.

Actually, the aforementioned post was in all seriousness. It would be great to have a fully detailed guide by someone who knows what they are doing. These helmets aren't cheap and not everyone has buckets of money to throw away on redoing things over and over until its done right. Might as well get it right the first time.

I am sure that I can speak for myself and all the future unskilled Fett-heads when I say "Lead us through the valley o' mighty skilled Painters".

*edited cause my spelling sucked after working a late night shift*

Regards,
    OK

Overkill I totally agree. I haven't really had time to make a detailed tutorial I have been spending a lot of free time painting helmets so I appologize for not being more detailed maybe someone can post their progress like Lynn has etc. and hopefully that will help.

Lee

I understand Lee, you probably get inundated with requests to paint buckets etc.

I think RogueStudios, Lynn and TK409 should get together and compile their MasterWorks into a tutorial.

This isn't to say that others aren't talented but in my own personal opinion these are the three who stand out the most in my vision of Fett's bucket. One other guy here, who has supplied me with my bucket, does some primo work too but I don't think he does paintjob stuff.

I have yet to look into painting armor and blasters but that will come after I finish the bucket.

Regards,
    OK

From
    Beattyville, KY

This has nothing to do with helmets but the grimy black that you list for the JP is that the color that makes the bars around the symbols and on the main tank?

I used it primarily for weathering but it's not a bad idea to use it for that since toned down colors are best. It gives it that used look.

Lee

From
    Indianapolis

OverKill wrote:

I have yet to look into painting armor and blasters but that will come after I finish the bucket.
    Hmmm, I would personally recommend painting your armor first (if you already have it) before tackling the helmet. The old saying that practice makes perfect is true here, and the helmet is the most important part of this costume. I can paint armor all day long, but I don't know if I'm comfortable enough with my own skills to paint a helmet (I eventually will). Armor can easily be repainted if you goof up, but to screw up on a helmet usually results in starting all over again.

From
    Modesto, California, United States

Here is what I worked on this past weekend. The colors from RS worked out great! The base colors are done with an airbrush and the grey weathering was done with a brush.

NICE!!!

I'm loving the weathering you did on the side...

I can hardly wait till I get confirmation that my helmet has been shipped (been waiting about a week and a half since I paid).

Those mystery helmets look daaaaaaaaaaaamn good!! Thank god someone out there had the foresight to build a bucket for those of us who are taller than 5'9 and weight more than 170 lbs LOL.

Regards,
    OK

Cool! It does'nt look like a DP recast anymore! Great job there

-Mikael

I'm having trouble finding a couple of the paints, and I'm thinking maybe they are listed differantly from the sites listings. So I'm wondering if the "PRR Green" is actually the same as "PRR Burnswick Green", and the other one being the "Euro Dark Green" the same as "Br. Dark Green". Somebody...anybody, please chime in if you know the answer.

Thanks

Prr Brunswick is correct I probably left that off by accident. I was going by memory when I made the lsit sorry. The British dark green is not too far off and actually could stand in for that color especially since that is one I am unsure about.

Lee

Thanks Lee. Much appreciation.

A little bit OT, but I was going to buy the paints, and seeing that this will be my first real full project using an airbrush, I'm curious as to how much coverage is possible with a 1/2 oz. or 1 oz. container of paint. It doesn't seem like much to me, but then again I am new to this technique. So how much would be enough, or how do I scale it. I'm doing armor, gauntlets, jet pack, bucket, the whole deal. Do I load up or not?

Thanks

From
    Montrose, PA

The Anti-Hero wrote:

I'm curious as to how much coverage is possible with a 1/2 oz. or 1 oz. container of paint. It doesn't seem like much to me, but then again I am new to this technique.
    Thanks
    All the paints need to be thinned to spray (directions of thinning amount on bottle), so the amount of paint needed is a little less.
    I bought 3 X 1/2 oz. bottles of the US med green for the armor.
    1oz. of the Reefer yellow for the knees and bells, however, you should have another 1 oz. bottle to do the pack.
    1 oz.Wisconson Maroon for the gauntlets.

The 1 oz. bottles should be good for "most" applications. Some of the paints only come in 1/2 oz. so if ordering get 2 minimum, 3 to be safe if doing large parts like all the green armor, blue on JP, or any other area that the specified paint only comes in 1/2 oz. bottles.

Lynn

Lynn,

Thank you very much.