RF STALK MOVEMENT

RF STALK MOVEMENT

ok guys, my lid is nearly complete, and i have been talking to some buds about how to let the rf stalk move, yet keep it steady when it is up or down...i have a BKBT stalk made of aluminum, and was informed that it is not magnetic, so the magnet idea seems to have flown out the window...i know tape has been used, but really dont want to do that...any cool suggestions on how to hold up or put down the stalk without just bolting or gluing it stationary? thanks...

From
    Norwalk, CT

Re: RF STALK MOVEMENT

I just used a machined bolt, washer and nut and tightened until it was steady, but not absolutely fixed. It stays where I want it, but I can still easily move it up or down....

-Chris

that is the setup i have now, but wasnt sure if that would work or not...so just tighten the bolt to where it stays, but not so tight that it wont move...awesome! thanks chris...

From
    UK

You could also replace the fixed ring washer with a split spring washer so that it keeps tension without making any score marks on the inside...

I could be totally wrong here, but I'm pretty sure the servo will keep enough tension to hold it in either position.

explain servo, please...

From
    Cary, NC

FettDad said: View Post
    explain servo, please...
    This: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=25704

Freaking awesome, but I'm not skilled with soldering and all that. So I'm still looking into other cheaper easier methods.

um, ya...not going there with mine... that is WAY out of my league at the moment...i am just trying to figure out painting...

Ha ha! I thought you were saying you were going to make it movable, as in motorized moveable. I tried that a bit, and fried my RC board

I can go back after its all done, now that there's a much better tutorial here.

no, no...i just want to be able to move it by hand, and have it stay up or down...i d rather not glue it stationary, but i could if had too...

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

Use a nylon washer to keep it 'tight' then take a bead of glue, superglue, epoxy, and place a bead on the incide of the C shape where the stalk slides when it goes up and down. Put a bead at teh top and bottom, and it wont be able tos lide past it, unless you force it past it.

Simple. Ghetto. And marvelous. Like beyonce.

I use rubber 'o' rings to produce just enough friction between the nut and the inside of the helmet. (that sounds so dodgy)

From
    California

I'm running one of terminal fettlers stalks with the rubber o ring and its the business.
    Try "drilling" a small enough hole in the stalk and add/glue a small rare earth magnet (radioshack). Do the same to the helmet where the stalk would be in the up position where the two rare earth magnets would touch. (Magnets for the up position and gravity when it's down.)

From
    Cary, NC

Grifter said: View Post
    I'm running one of terminal fettlers stalks with the rubber o ring and its the business.
    Try "drilling" a small enough hole in the stalk and add/glue a small rare earth magnet (radioshack). Do the same to the helmet where the stalk would be in the up position where the two rare earth magnets would touch. (Magnets for the up position and gravity when it's down.)
    Now that's an idea! I'm afraid of screwing up my BKBT aluminum one thoDont know about drilling into it.

where do i drill the holes for the magnets? what part of the helmet and stalk? nice idea, but not sure where to drill...and the magnets would touch, thus making the stalk stay up?

I would definitely try the 'O' ring friction method before drilling any holes!!

From
    California

Link to the rare earth magnets just in case you were wondering what they look like or how small they are.

http://www.radioshack.com/sm-rare-ea...i-2102642.html

From
    California

Instead of drilling there is always glue. They are pretty small regardless.

From
    California

Pm sent on the 3rd magnet version. (just some brainstorming.)

ok...trying to picture this...the stalk should set flush with the outer earpiece, right? if i mounted a magnet there, and one in the stalk, the magnets should touch...or like you were saying before, on the inner part of the earpiece, just switch sides on the stalk for the magnet....

From
    California

Yes. Of course this was just an idea I had and I've never done this before. Due to the size of the magnet a place for them can be easily found. Size and weight of the actual Range Finder can also come into play.