Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Rebuilding a Master Replicas Fett helmet

Re: Rebuilding a Master Replicas Fett helmet

HeadlessHunter said: View Post
    Are you going to have the slight taper in the visor that the ROTJ helmet has?
    i'm not going to match anything specific from any helmet... i want to be able to do either rotj or esb with it in the end.

and mr. buffett, i fully expect to have my shiny new helmet by nycc. though i'm not 100% sure i'm even bringing boba!

old_jedi_mind_trick said: View Post
    I am sure this is a stoopid question, but here it is all the same. What is the advantage of using the MR helmet over say, FP or BM (other helmets are available)? Looks like a lot of work to get it to the stage they are delivered in and then start to paint?

Sorry if this is a stoopider than stoopid question.

confused, Rob.
    My take on this is that obviously it is scanned off of the prepro, but also consider this . . . even if you plan to do all the work modifying it, you're still money ahead.

A good fiberglass kit will run around $250 / metal stalk $40, electronics for rangefinder $60 / metal ears $200 / helmet stand $40 (that's what those dowel rods with a hemisphere of styrofoam cost, and this is much nicer). Total - $590 (and kick in shipping for all of the above)

MR helmet - around $420 (with a killer paintjob thrown in to boot)

You do the math. Strip it down, keep it as is, or just fix the visor, the MR makes better financial sense.

From
    St. Barbara, Calif.

WOW! I am blown away by your skillz 7602! It takes guts to do what you did, and I have no doubt it's gonna look money when all said and done! Great re-work!

Just to stem the tide of PMS!

Yes, I am molding this and making myself a resin copy of it. I don't trust the structural integrity of the patched mandible. And yeah, I'll probably make myself a couple of copies, so that I can do various paint jobs that I've always wanted.

No, I am NOT making copies for sale. I know that there's a fuzzy area about recasting discontinued commercial products, but I'm not looking to go down that road. This is a project just for me.

Wise move Keep those pics coming, I'm really enjoying following this thread

I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    From
    California USA

Wow, I go to Death Valley for a few days and Brian destroys (makes better) his MR helmet.

Great work Brian.

here it is preped for rubber. i've never done this before, so i'm basically going from smoothoninc's youtube tutorials, and the guys that did the halo helmet video.

couple of interesting points.

it's propped up on a gallon jug of windex. i globbed a bunch of hot glue onto the top of the bottle then set it in. in retrospect, leveling it better would have been... well... better. but what can you do?

the bottom skirt and visor are filled in with thin sheets of plastic that i got from jason ages ago. hot glued into place, then the perimeter of the skirt was hot glued to the base board it's sitting on (foamcore). that was to prevent leakage under the skirt.

my seals around the edge of the visor aren't perfect, so i may have some cleanup to do on the mold. we'll see tomorrow or so.

the holes on the sides for the earcaps i filled in with modeling clay and pushed in enough to leave a dimple. i used modeling clay here because it's easy to clean out later.

fast forward through 4 coats of silicone, applied about an hour apart...

the rebound silicone doesn't like cold... that slows its curing down a LOT. i had to bring the thing up from the basement to get decent times out of it.

i molded a couple of other things along side this (that's another thread). one of the small ones i brought upstairs to use as a gauge for when i'd be ready for the next coat. when the vortex manipulator was ready, so should be the fett.

but when i got downstairs, i found fett to still be wet enough that i could brush the rubber around.

i brought it up to the second floor and closed it in my office, which gets REALLY hot. it went from 2 hours for a coat to dry to about 45 minutes

i demolded the vortex manipulator (torchwood prop), and it came out clean. so here's hoping fett will be the same! the rubber was all from the same batch, so as far as that goes i should be ok. i'm just hoping i didn't lose any details. i'm particularly concerned with the borden connector and the corners of the visor. we shall see!

i'm hoping to be able to peel this off as an uncut glove mold. i did build in a thicker line down the right ear, should i need to cut it. but i hope it doesn't come to that. the rebound is supposed to be really stretchy, so here's hoping!

tonight is the plaster jacket, which is the last step before i demold and see what i got!

From
    Kamino (also known as Seattle)

Can't wait to see the results!

sithlord23 said: View Post
    Can't wait to see the results!
    you and me both!

at least there's enough rubber that i can mess up a few times on the mold before spending any more $$$

From
    UK

Man you don't hang around do ya?!

Can't wait to see the reveal...

Mojo-Fett said: View Post
    Man you don't hang around do ya?!

Can't wait to see the reveal...
    Sleep is for the weak minded! 2 hours a day is fine, right?

Is it done yet?? No?? ah well

Is it done yet?? No?? ah well..........

HeadlessHunter said: View Post
    Is it done yet?? No?? ah well

Is it done yet?? No?? ah well..........

hahahaha! i'm still at work, and they don't like me bringing my fett parts to work on here!

no, really, i did bring my knees here to peel the latex masking fluid off of during an overnight... left little bits of orangy yellow paint everywhere!

From
    St. Louis, Missouri

Nice work! Definitely anxious to see your progress.

As a side note, has anyone tried to clearcoat the helmet with a dull clearcoat?

i demolded this morning. the silicone came off as a single piece... no cut needed

i made the mother mold out of plaster of paris with fiberglass tape embedded in it. i think i'm going to redo that in something lighter, like maybe fiberglass. slushing that big beastie around is going to be less than fun!!

and since the pms are still coming in... no, i'm not being coy. i'm really not doing a run of these or anything. seriously.

Account Deactivated
    From
    Spain

But... Are you going to do a run? Huh?

It's a joke... It's a joke Nice work tk7602

almost there!

this one looks nice, but is way too thin... needed another 1-2 coats of resin.

one more try and i should be done!

i've poured 4 so far.

#1 was WAY too thick... so thick that i couldn't cut out the visor... the dremel cutting blade was too small

#2 was better, but had a HUGE glop of resin on the inside that was too much to even bother working through.

#3 (shown) went the opposite direction... too thin!

#4 will be tonight, and i HOPE that will be the final one!

i threw some silver paint on the thin one and slapped an opaque black visor in it. i mostly wanted to make sure the ears still fit properly.

so, in the end... is it worth all this fuss? i think so! it's a beautiful helmet, and once i finally get the pouring right, i'm going to be REALLY happy.

From
    Newport News, VA

Looking great! Hope you have success with #4!

From
    uk

Now that looks a million times better, why couldnt MR do this in the first place?

great job buddy, im sure no 4 will be perfect

From
    UK

I'm so tempted to 'play' with mine... BUT her in doors would throw a complete Eppy! (UK talk)

Great thread and Kudos to you for doing this.... your very own Fett army!

the change in look of the helmet from out of the box to now is huge... 10mm doesn't sound like much at all, but it really is.

go on, saw it up... what's the worst that could happen?

and i'm guessing that it could be repaired well enough to still be wearable without going through all of this fuss. i'm just paranoid.

From
    UK

I know... that 10mm does make a big difference! who says that size doesn't matter? Oh yeah us men...

Very tempted but will keep as is for now... but from what I have seen so far? minimal damage if it does go 'PeteTong'...

From
    killinois

Mojo-Fett said: View Post
    minimal damage if it does go 'PeteTong'...
    Can helmets go deaf? Or have drug problems and inflated egos?

From
    UK

What.. encouraged by giant badgers???