Rangefinder remote servo, controller or battery issueSubscribe
  1. Member Since
    Sep 2015
    Nov 3, 2015, 3:24 PM - Rangefinder remote servo, controller or battery issue #1

I've recently got myself a boba helmet with a servo fitted to the rangefinder. Sometimes when I first switch the servo on in the helmet the rangefinder goes a bit mad - flicking up and down quickly before settling and working normal, or sometimes not working at all. There's a faint electrical feedback noise from inside the helmet. When it's working normally there's no noise. Does anyone have any suggestions where I should start to investigate, is it bad batteries, the remote control switch or the servo itself?
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
    Nov 3, 2015, 6:29 PM - Re: Rangefinder remote servo, controller or battery issue #2

We would need to see the setup inside the helmet before we could offer any ideas.
  4. Member Since
    Sep 2015
    Nov 4, 2015, 2:05 PM - Re: Rangefinder remote servo, controller or battery issue #3

Quote Jc27 said: View Post
    We would need to see the setup inside the helmet before we could offer any ideas.

I'm not sure if I've picked up the right bits on these photos but this is what's inside, plus the battery holders (AAA) but I figured you wouldn't need to see this part.

Nov 4, 2015, 3:57 PM - Re: Rangefinder remote servo, controller or battery issue #4

I don't think it's the batteries or the servo. Servos run off of PWM signals and whatever is sending those signals to the servo is more than likely the culprit. One of the white wires looks frayed, and that could be prt of the problem. Another is how all the electronics are exposed, so any moisture or static electricity could fry just about everything.
    There is a lot going on there parts wise so it is going to be difficult trying to figure out what does what. Do you have lights in the rangefinder? Are there fans or anything else in the helmet? The small board with the blue capacitors looks like a light board, but I'm not sure what the silver thing is for.
  6. Member Since
    Sep 2015
    Nov 4, 2015, 4:20 PM - Re: Rangefinder remote servo, controller or battery issue #5

I'd noticed the frayed white wire after I'd uploaded the picture and think I'll start with that. The rangefinder has lights which operate differently in the up position than down. No fans in the helmet though.

After that I'll have a look at the sender/button in the gauntlet

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk