Subscribe
    Jun 26, 2005, 4:15 AM - Progress pic w/ couple questions #1

Here is a shot of my helmet I am still painting. I am currently still on the battle damage on the mandibles. I was gonna go for screen accurate then quickly realized I don't have the patience

I am a little nervous in doing the kill stripes... Would hand painting the kill stripes with it masked be ok? I am just worried about underspray with airbrushing. Also, what is best for the clear coat? I have read a few different things matte finish...clear finish etc ??

Jun 26, 2005, 4:22 AM - Re: Progress pic w/ couple questions #2

what i did for mine was use TK409's template, cut it out but instead of spraying it on to my helmet, i simply drew around the killmarks and then painted it by hand.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=8162
    Jun 26, 2005, 7:13 AM - Re: Progress pic w/ couple questions #3

Thats looking great, cant wait to see more!!
    Jun 26, 2005, 8:14 AM - Re: Progress pic w/ couple questions #4

Looks great! I strongly suggest the TK409 killstripe templates, plus they come with instructions and examples. As for the finish alot has been said for Testors Dullcoat.

Good luck.
  5. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    Jun 26, 2005, 10:57 AM - Re: Progress pic w/ couple questions #5

Quote Furious said:
    Also, what is best for the clear coat? I have read a few different things matte finish...clear finish etc ??

To me Testors Dull coat is great but it will "DULL" out on the great silver scratch work you've done.

I use Air-brush Polly Sale Acrylic Paints for the finish I first use a Satin finish, YES SATIN. This keeps the SILVER Scratches Nice and Shiny,which is the whole point of the layered masking effect... Normally two good coats.
    Then after dried I come back with a Flat finish...again two good costs..Mainly on all the color areas and around the previously sprayed scratches...It WORKS GREAT!! And you'll be happy with the result.

Here's a link you can buy both at....they're on the same page. Hope this helps.
    http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/flo/flof404106.htm
    Last edited by Spideyfett; Jun 26, 2005 at 11:29 AM.
    Jun 27, 2005, 11:19 PM - Re: Progress pic w/ couple questions #6

Wow, you've been movin right along on that thing.. lookin nice.. I was thinking about going with the same silver (thanks for the pic btw) as you, but now seeing it alittle more done, I think I'll be grabbing a can of that.. You seemed to equally share my frustration with Testors chrome, so I think I'll be followin ya on the silver..
    Jun 27, 2005, 11:35 PM - Re: Progress pic w/ couple questions #7

Yeah I am actually very pleased with the chrome base coat I used. If this last one didn't work I probably would have thrown my helmet out the window cause I would have been so pissed.

I ended up doing my kill stripes and they turned out perfectly. not one spec of underspray. I didn't use TK409's template to spray over but rather as a reference. I just cut out 1/4 " strips of masking tape and created the squares and then used the liquid mask to mask off the chipped areas.

Back to the clear finish... Will any of these finishes darken the colors? I don't really want the colors to go darker than they already are especially the green, I think it is a little too dark anyway.

BTW Spidey, Just wanted to say thanks.. I have been using your post on how you went about painting the helmet. It really has helped me a lot as I am sure a lot of others.
    Last edited by Furious; Jun 27, 2005 at 11:44 PM.
  8. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    Jun 27, 2005, 11:58 PM - Re: Progress pic w/ couple questions #8

Quote Furious said:
    Back to the clear finish... Will any of these finishes darken the colors? I don't really want the colors to go darker than they already are especially the green, I think it is a little too dark anyway.

BTW Spidey, Just wanted to say thanks.. I have been using your post on how you went about painting the helmet. It really has helped me a lot as I am sure a lot of others.
    Glad I good help ...I think a lot of people have benefited from that Thread....Someday I will/SHOULD finish it. The Helmet and the Thread.

And to answer your clear finish question: It will turn a TAD darker, BUT not as dark if you were to use Testors Dull Coat......IT GETS REALLY DARK with that stuff. That's my experience anyway.

Post More PICS!!
    Jun 28, 2005, 6:18 AM - Re: Progress pic w/ couple questions #9

Here are a few more. overall I am somewhat satisfied how it is turning out..being a helmet virgin and all. I still have quite a bit of weathering to do and of course the ear pieces.

and with the back finished
    Jun 28, 2005, 7:28 AM - Re: Progress pic w/ couple questions #10

Nicely done man !!!
  11. Jun 28, 2005, 9:46 AM - Re: Progress pic w/ couple questions #11

Looks damn good to me

DPR
    Jun 28, 2005, 10:05 AM - Re: Progress pic w/ couple questions #12

wow... simply wow, tight and smooth, but weatherd greatly!!!

keep it up man!!!
  13. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    Jun 28, 2005, 7:08 PM - Re: Progress pic w/ couple questions #13

Great Stripes....But.... I don't want to put a Monkey-Wrench on your awesome paint job, but they look a little small..

Did you use TK409's?? If so, you have to "Fit to page" when printing from his template to get the correct size...

Maybe it's the angle in which you took the Picture..???

Colors look right on though.

Quote Furious said:
    Here are a few more. overall I am somewhat satisfied how it is turning out..being a helmet virgin and all. I still have quite a bit of weathering to do and of course the ear pieces.

and with the back finished
    Jun 28, 2005, 7:40 PM - Re: Progress pic w/ couple questions #14

Ya know.. I also noticed that on the photos. I think it is the way the angle of the photos are.. I went back over with a fine tooth comb and it measures up. That really scared me when I looked at those pics..I was afraid to go back and look at my helmet but it seems fine.
    Jun 29, 2005, 9:32 AM - Re: Progress pic w/ couple questions #15

Great weathering job! another fine Boba Helmet.
    Jun 30, 2005, 9:40 PM - Re: Progress pic w/ couple questions #16

Very nice .. the red looks especially good

Mike
    Jul 1, 2005, 2:56 AM - Re: Progress pic w/ couple questions #17

Thanks for the compliments.

Ok After further review my killstripes were too small.. . I can't believe I was so stupid. anyway I ended up respraying them on and I think I got it this time. They aren't perfect but they'll do. Live and learn I guess.

Jul 1, 2005, 9:24 AM - Re: Progress pic w/ couple questions #18

That looks GREAT!!!
  19. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    Jul 1, 2005, 9:40 AM - Re: Progress pic w/ couple questions #19

AHHH YES...Much Better...
    Coming along nicely...
    Quote Furious said:
    Thanks for the compliments.
    Ok After further review my killstripes were too small.. . I can't believe I was so stupid. anyway I ended up respraying them on and I think I got it this time. They aren't perfect but they'll do. Live and learn I guess.

Jul 1, 2005, 10:51 AM - Re: Progress pic w/ couple questions #20

Ok so I am kinda stumped, I have the resin RF. What color paint should I use to paint the clear/plastic looking part?
    Jul 1, 2005, 11:24 AM - Re: Progress pic w/ couple questions #21

Well... you leave it clear except for the little black box part of it.. that is a ring of flat black. The top is also flat black. Just look at any pics of our buckets and you should be able to pick it out pretty easily.
    Jul 5, 2005, 7:03 AM - Re: Progress pic w/ couple questions #22

cool paint job...................
  23. Jul 5, 2005, 8:26 AM - Re: Progress pic w/ couple questions #23

I think Furious has the same problem I did - Our rangefinders are NOT clear.
    They're cast in tan resin.

I'll post some pics soon of what I ended up doing with mine. Basically, I went for black and grey.
  24. SingleSeat is offline SingleSeat
    Jul 5, 2005, 3:47 PM - Re: Progress pic w/ couple questions #24

Have you considered searching out a clear RF? So then...anyone know where to get a clear RF? Webchief, do you know?