Subscribe
    Aug 31, 2012, 1:21 PM - Pre Pro 1 Asok CC Helmet #1

So I'm hesitant to start a thread, but for nothing else I want to make one just so I don't let this thing fall by the wayside. Short summary. Bought an Asok CC helmet, it is amazing. Cut the visor out, sanded the inside a little bit, squared the corners and prepped the pieces a bit. Want to get to the painting, but first I need to make sure I can mount the visor, and then get the Rangefinder details sorted. Salamanderking light and servo kits offer me a bit of relief, because the DIY stuff was a bit over my head. So I'm buying one of each after I get the visor mounted. I've got a couple questions, and some bits of help for people needing to mount their visors, but don't know how. I've scoured the thread about threaded posts and nuts and rubber washers etc, I have photos of the pieces you need and some advice there.

Question one: Is the cheek area and the surrounding edges of the helmet too thick to mount the visor? I don't want to sand much more, but I've seen others and their's are super thin, but am worried about the integrity of the helmet if I do.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0355.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	63455
    Question two: I've picked up some masking fluid for the paint job to come, but I'm not sure if it'll work, I found it at hobby lobby but it looks... suspect. Any suggestions, otherwise I'm just going to do a test paint with it and report back.

Name:	IMG_0354.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	63454
    I picked up a visor, it's plenty big, just a photo for anybody who needs to know what they're looking for. BEFORE YOU START CUTTING! Make a cardboard prototype that matches your mounts, and triplecheck that it fits perfectly. That will be your guide when cutting your visor to size.

Name:	IMG_0362.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	63457
    And these are the threaded posts and rubber grommets that'll keep the visor snug against the front of the helmet. I'm planning on cutting the posts down some, so the adjoining screw pushes the grommet tight against the visor, no issue. Any suggestions on mounting are welcome, I've already read about scoring the backs of the posts and epoxying them on, but anything I missed is welcome. :)

Name:	IMG_0359.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	63456Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0361.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	63458Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0356.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	63459

Thanks for looking, and as always keep it real TDH! It's good to be back. :)

EDIT: I know the masking fluid is colorless, I just planned on adding color dye to it so I can eyeball it when I go to peel it off. :)
    Aug 31, 2012, 2:04 PM - Re: Pre Pro 1 Asok CC Helmet #2

Looking forward to this : )
    Aug 31, 2012, 3:52 PM - Re: Pre Pro 1 Asok CC Helmet #3

Quote dynamic1 said: View Post
    Looking forward to this : )
    Thanks, while I was waiting for Lowe's to open I found Stormrider's helmet liners, any other suggestions of guts for this bucket? It looks cool, but honestly I have a tiny head haha, I'd have to wear a beanie looks like, or adjust it pretty radically.
    Aug 31, 2012, 6:26 PM - Re: Pre Pro 1 Asok CC Helmet #4

More Pre-Pro love!

What is it about the masking fluid that is "suspect?" I've used Winsor & Newton for years
    and it's great stuff. In fact, I've been using the same bottle for around 5 years now!
    If it were me, I wouldn't worry about adding any kind of dye to it. It's not that hard to
    see where it is when you get ready to remove it from the helmet.
    Aug 31, 2012, 7:12 PM - Re: Pre Pro 1 Asok CC Helmet #5

Quote superjedi said: View Post
    More Pre-Pro love!

What is it about the masking fluid that is "suspect?" I've used Winsor & Newton for years
    and it's great stuff. In fact, I've been using the same bottle for around 5 years now!
    If it were me, I wouldn't worry about adding any kind of dye to it. It's not that hard to
    see where it is when you get ready to remove it from the helmet.
    Thanks goodness for you super, I was worried I might not be able to exactly tell if I had the entire pattern covered, and then when i go to peel off I can't see it, etc, insert horror mode. Anyway, good to know it's fine, I just figured with all the love for the maskol nonsense maybe nobody had tried this. Glad to know somebody else has gone before :3
    Aug 31, 2012, 9:02 PM - Re: Pre Pro 1 Asok CC Helmet #6

Well, the thing is, once you apply the fluid and paint over it, it doesn't matter
    if it's clear, fluorescent orange, or plaid. . . you can't see it anyway!

I think the reason some people use the Maskol or tinted fluids is that it makes
    it a bit easier to see during application. The W & N fluid is "clear," but when you
    put it on, it dries very shiny. You won't have any issues seeing where it is.
    Sep 1, 2012, 1:33 AM - Re: Pre Pro 1 Asok CC Helmet #7

Quote superjedi said: View Post
    Well, the thing is, once you apply the fluid and paint over it, it doesn't matter
    if it's clear, fluorescent orange, or plaid. . . you can't see it anyway!

I think the reason some people use the Maskol or tinted fluids is that it makes
    it a bit easier to see during application. The W & N fluid is "clear," but when you
    put it on, it dries very shiny. You won't have any issues seeing where it is.
    Thanks for that, the lady at Hobby Lobby honestly had NO idea what I was talking about when I said masking fluid, and I described how you could use it, and blank stare. So I eventually hunted it down in a couple of aisles down from the model cars and tanks and helicopters, go figure. As long as the stencil is clear and I'm not going about it half assed, it should be quite the helmet to see.