Pointers on looking for a ESB/ROTJ lid?

Splat762

Active Hunter
Hey gang, first thanks to those who have welcomed me in on my intro post...much appreciated.

I'm still going back and forth on which Fett to build...ESB or ROTJ, I like certain elements of both. I've decided that the lid would be a good place to start....soooo I've started my search. I can't post in the Cargo Hold just yet (newbie restrictions?) so I thought I would post here.

I'd love some info on who to contact, websites to visit, things to look for, etc. I'd would like a pre-painted lid but I wouldn't mind doing one myself either, although I have painted before I'm sure my skills are no where up to par with some of the examples I've seen here on the DH....hence the search for a pre-painted lid.

I'm US Navy and deploying at the end of August so if I commission someone to build and paint it would be towards Feb that I would be able to take possission although I could make payment(s). :D

Thanks in advance for the help...the search continues!

I would say that the three to checkout are Bobamaker, FettPride, and TerminalFettler, all three make great buckets and BM and TF offer painting services.

As for painting it yourself you may want to give it a try I bought a BM and have been having a blast painting it and it is my first time using an airbrush.

Welcome aboard have fun and take your time.

hey bud, well, you have lots of choices...:)

i personally have a Bobamaker helmet...it is fiberglass, and come completely clean and ready to paint...no build up, no sanding, just a few things to put together, but very easy to do...such as the rangefinder, rangefinder stalk, and t-visor...i had him install the t-visor for me, for additional charges...he also does paint ups on his helmets, but he is very busy, and may be awhile to get your lid completed...:)

another option is a Mystery Helmet, offered by SgtFang...these are kits, made from resin, and need to built up...you have to attach the earpieces, cut out the visor area, and do some trimming and sanding, but nothing that is too difficult...the casts are pretty clean, and the helmet is alot of fun to build up...i have also worked a mystery helmet myself...no painting services offered by this gentleman, i dont think...:)

another option for an incredible helmet is a Terminal Fettler helmet...these are also amazing and clean, and believe they are fiberglass as well...not much build up, if any, on this helmet...he also offers an AMAZING paint up as well...do a search on his name and you can see some threads of his work and paintups...i have a friend that bought one of his helmets and had him paint it for him...incredible!

there is Fettpride too, who makes an incredible helmet, along with some of the best armor as well...his helmets are FG too...i dont believe he offers paintups...his helmet has some work on it, like cutting out the visor, but these casts are very clean, and easy to work with...(y)

these are the helmets i am familiar with...there are others, but not so readily found...stay away from the Rubies helmets...they are very difficult to work with, made from plastic and warp very easily...they are cheap, and you get what you pay for...there are some Rubies helmets that have been worked to look pretty good, but by the time you spend money and time making them look the way they should, you could have a much better helmet...:)

you also need to consider size as well...if you have a larger noggin, a mystery lid would be the way to go...i think the FP is also larger, correct me if am wrong...you may want to research that...i know the bobamaker and TF are more for smaller to medium sized heads...

price, you ask? well, the main 3, bobamaker, FP, and TF are pretty close in cost...the bobamaker and TF are made overseas, so shipping will be more on those...these run from 325 to 350, somewhere in there...the Mystery helmet, being a kit, runs right around 150...(y)

as far as painters, superjedi, terminal fettler, and bobamaker are just a few names that come to mind...i know that 987654321a also offers a paintup service too...i know slave1pilot does armor and packs, not sure of helmets however...(y)

any other questions, please feel free to ask...:cheers

Thanks deadland and I appreciate the write up there FettDad. :)

I've been looking at Bobamakers website, I have plenty of time with my deployment coming up so I might drop him a line and see if he can work some magic for me during cruise. I've certainly been checking out some of the others as well.

How easy are Terminal Fettler and FettPride to get a hold of? As well as Sgt Fang? Are they all members here or have websites?

I was also looking at the MR's...they look a bit pricey but at least they are all painted and ready to go, how good are they compared to the custom builders?

all the builders, painters, are members here...i know SgtFang has an email where he is more easy to find, but the others are pretty frequent here...

the MR is nice, but it has a "pinch" on the left mandible, dont know why that is, but it is fixable...there are some threads that show what people have done to fix it...i think a recent one in this forum...

Okay, was able to get a hold of TF and heard back from Bobamaker...the ball is slowly starting to roll. :)

Also PM'ed Sgt Fang and FettPride as well.

There's also the Master Replicas helmet. It's a very nice ESB helmet for a good price (compared to fan made, fully painted kits w/ metal ears and lights). It can be converted to RotJ if you are ok with stripping the paint off. Even going that route it's still a decent price.

There's also the Master Replicas helmet. It's a very nice ESB helmet for a good price (compared to fan made, fully painted kits w/ metal ears and lights). It can be converted to RotJ if you are ok with stripping the paint off. Even going that route it's still a decent price.

Yeah I'm looking at the MR as well, I like how it has the LED's installed already. Only thing is I have to fix that "pinch" issue that I've read about on the face. Doesn't seem that hard to do if your carefull enough with it?

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back