Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    Aug 9, 2008, 7:22 AM - MR revamp! Big Pics #1

Ive begun to overhaul my MR helmet. the things to be done are 1 replacing the T-visor, 2. increase Flare, 3 putting in a chin strap, 4 possible dent reshaping, 5 possible full repaint. the goal is to get as accurate a helmet out of the MR as possible. ive already removed most of the BS lip MR thought so wisely to put in. ive also had to remove the padding. a plus because now it sits shorter on my 6'2 frame. i tell ya they must have used all the glue they had over in my helmet because there was literally globs the size of quarters and a gigantic puddle of glue in the top of the helmet. making the removal an all night ordeal. ive also started work on increasing the flare.
    anyway i have wooden rods holding the helmet where i want the final product to look like, but i need your opinions so plz comment and question on what ya like. what ya don't. what should be changed ect...give me ideas i will continue to post updated pictures as this goes on. so let me know.. especially on the flare cause thats my biggest concern at the moment i want to get that right. excuse the resin dust fingerprint on the lower right mandible. didn't know it was there
    Thanks guys,
    Dana

heres what we got so far
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fett 1.jpg 
Views:	700 
Size:	234.9 KB 
ID:	26569   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fett 2.jpg 
Views:	675 
Size:	235.1 KB 
ID:	26570  
    Last edited by BobaFettSlave_1; Sep 4, 2008 at 2:20 PM.
  2. formerly old_jedi_mind_trick Bobby Fett UK's Avatar
    Aug 9, 2008, 7:34 AM - Re: Plz Comment, MR revamp #2

Looks good to me. I have seen the other MR fix threads and they seemed to be quite a bit of work to 'fix' it.

Shame they could not get it right, such a well finished helmet.
    Aug 9, 2008, 7:40 AM - Re: Plz Comment, MR revamp #3

they're actually a great helmet IMO. i highly recommend them. they just need alittle love & elbow grease. seeing as they were made by scanning a actuall helmet i still think there near the top on the accuracy scale. ya just got to remove that MR added
    Moar Pics

Name:	fett 4.jpg 
Views:	622 
Size:	249.7 KB 
ID:	26577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fett 5.jpg 
Views:	619 
Size:	234.0 KB 
ID:	26578   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fett 6.jpg 
Views:	622 
Size:	225.6 KB 
ID:	26579  

Last edited by BobaFettSlave_1; Aug 9, 2008 at 7:48 AM.
    Aug 9, 2008, 8:29 AM - Re: Plz Comment, MR revamp #4

I don't know if you've seen it but there is a great diagram showing the origin and history of the helmet that was made by a TDH member, I can't remeber who. If you do a search you can probably find it. According to it MR accidently scanned the wrong helmet from the LFL archives. This could account for some of it's inaccuracies.

Edit: I did a search and found it - http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showt...helmet+history
    Aug 9, 2008, 11:24 AM - Re: Plz Comment, MR revamp #5

Its a 3d scan of the pp3 helmet I believe with the pp2 paint scheme, excellent work so far, I agree they are beautiful looking helmets, the only thing I dont think it needs is more flare as the flare is generally a bit of a camera trick, keep it up
  6. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Aug 9, 2008, 2:24 PM - Re: Plz Comment, MR revamp #6

The helmet is looking awesome so far! I like the flare that you added, whether or not it's accurate or not. The "T" also looks a lot straighter than it used to be!
    Aug 9, 2008, 3:51 PM - Re: Plz Comment, MR revamp #7

Quote Bossywalker said: View Post
    I don't know if you've seen it but there is a great diagram showing the origin and history of the helmet that was made by a TDH member, I can't remeber who. If you do a search you can probably find it. According to it MR accidently scanned the wrong helmet from the LFL archives. This could account for some of it's inaccuracies.

Edit: I did a search and found it - http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showt...helmet+history
    that was posted by art andrews aka brak's buddy as he used to be known as.

Quote HeadlessHunter said: View Post
    Its a 3d scan of the pp3 helmet I believe with the pp2 paint scheme, excellent work so far, I agree they are beautiful looking helmets, the only thing I dont think it needs is more flare as the flare is generally a bit of a camera trick, keep it up
    i thought the scan was pp3 but the paint was esb by rogue studios and ss? can anyone vouch for that?
    Aug 9, 2008, 7:40 PM - Re: Plz Comment, MR revamp #8

What method did you use to fix the pinch?
    Aug 10, 2008, 12:07 AM - Re: Plz Comment, MR revamp #9

I have a wood block glued in the visor to help fix the pinch till the new visor takes its place. i just had to make sure the t-visor measurments were what i wanted. current measurements are 5 cm spacing top to bottom. getting rid of the pinch actually gives this helmet alot more flare.

ya im pretty sure Lee and Chris worked on the prototypes and painted them ESB. but i think MR went in and added some prepro scratches, most of which come off fairly easyly as you can see in the pics. just alittle sanding does good
    Last edited by BobaFettSlave_1; Aug 10, 2008 at 5:23 AM.
    Aug 10, 2008, 5:22 AM - Re: Plz Comment, MR revamp #10

It was meant to be based on the ESB hero but MR ended up duplicating the PP2 paint scheme, or so I thought, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in soon
    Aug 10, 2008, 10:05 AM - Re: Plz Comment, MR revamp #11

looking great so far. i agree that the MR is a really amazing helmet that just needs some work. with a price comparable to a high end kit, you can't really go wrong.

(if you think about helmet + metal ears + metal stalk + RF lights... it's not far off!)

this should be a fun thread to watch!
    Aug 10, 2008, 4:19 PM - Re: Plz Comment, MR revamp #12

anyone know what kind of chin strap they used on the real deal? or got any pics
    Aug 10, 2008, 6:28 PM - Re: Plz Comment, MR revamp #13

Quote BobaFettSlave_1 said: View Post
    anyone know what kind of chin strap they used on the real deal? or got any pics
    fettpride found it... you might get lucky if you dig up his old thread on the FPH. it was some sort of riot helmet, but i don't remember what kind. i think he posted it though.

if it's not in his fph build thread, just try finding all posts by fettpride... i'm pretty sure that's where the info came from.
    Aug 11, 2008, 1:25 AM - Re: Plz Comment, MR revamp #14

I dont know who actually found the chinstrap but I dont think it was FP; he made copies to use with his FPH. I think it was Rouge Studios or maybe Art who found it.

Looking good Dana! I cant wait to see all the mods complete.
    Aug 11, 2008, 4:47 AM - Re: Plz Comment, MR revamp #15

Just a little update. I've replaced the wooden rod holding the flare where i want it with a curved aluminum rod. its acctually an extra cleaning rod for one of my rifles . nothings safe round me. FYI without anything making extra flare the width of the helmet is 24cm. with the wood rod & now the aluminum rod the width is 24.5cm. don't sound like much, but it makes all the difference in the world flare wise. next step is to put in a removable t-visor.
    PS: anyone know what all the weird writing is all over the inside of the helmet?

Dana
    Last edited by BobaFettSlave_1; Aug 17, 2008 at 8:45 AM.
    Aug 11, 2008, 9:36 AM - Re: Plz Comment, MR revamp #16

Quote kbrosseau said: View Post
    I dont know who actually found the chinstrap but I dont think it was FP; he made copies to use with his FPH. I think it was Rouge Studios or maybe Art who found it.
    i should clarify... by found i meant located one, not discovered it originally. as in he bought one

i have no idea who discovered it... i don't usually concern myself much with the lineage of that sort of thing, but i know it's a big deal to some, so i should try to be more specific!
    Aug 11, 2008, 10:28 AM - Re: Plz Comment, MR revamp #17

Tyler Durden on the board found it I believe. Just going on memory here, but I recall that it was a chin strap from a UK riot helmet. In the pics it was a perfect match.

Hmm, guess I still have a few grey cells left.
    Aug 17, 2008, 8:44 AM - Re: Plz Comment, MR revamp #18

Update:
    got bored wile waiting for the T-visor to arrive so i decided to undergo adjusting the right (left in pic) eye slot as it was "squinty" making the helmet look odd. i shaved off a little over a MM off it and its much closer to what the other one looks like. the cleaning rod that was holding the flare broke (i did it not the helmet) and has also been replaced by a solid aluminum bar and has been JB welded in place. a little of the paint job was damaged making a new paint job for this thing almost certain

Edit: for some reason im not able to upload the pictures. they keep saying "upload of file failed" even though they are within the forum requirements. any ideas.. Brian ya broke it! jk buddy
    Last edited by BobaFettSlave_1; Aug 17, 2008 at 9:02 AM.
    Aug 17, 2008, 11:51 AM - Re: Plz Comment, MR revamp #19

I can post up a pic of my FPH chin strap if it helps........as soon as 'someone' fixes the picture attachment feature........
  20. Member Since
    Jul 2008
    Aug 17, 2008, 4:16 PM - Re: Plz Comment, MR revamp #20

That looks like its coming along nicely. Good work.
    Aug 17, 2008, 6:19 PM - Re: Plz Comment, MR revamp #21

can post pics now

Name:	Fett 9.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	244.9 KB 
ID:	26772   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fett 10.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	177.5 KB 
ID:	26773  
  22. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Aug 17, 2008, 6:57 PM - Re: Plz Comment, MR revamp #22

I think it looks terrific! Did you do anything to the RF? I always thought that was a little overweathered.
    Aug 17, 2008, 9:30 PM - Re: Plz Comment, MR revamp #23

ya i sanded the hell outa it with the finest sandpaper i had lying around. its way to un realistic looking
    Last edited by BobaFettSlave_1; Aug 19, 2008 at 1:16 AM.
    Aug 20, 2008, 6:36 AM - Re: Plz Comment, MR revamp #24

Update: AT-visor came yesterday. today i have it set about there i want it temporarily with light glue & duct tape in case anything needs changing i also haven't decided what method i want to use to keep the darn thing in there. Let me know that ya think. if theres anything you feel should be changed please say so. here be the pic's thanks,
    Dana
    ps: Thanks Brian for recommending taking the old visor and using it to make a template for the new one. worked like a charm.

Name:	Fett 11.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	247.3 KB 
ID:	26841   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fett 12.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	223.0 KB 
ID:	26842  
  25. Member Since
    Jul 2008
    Aug 20, 2008, 10:18 AM - Re: Plz Comment, MR revamp #25

You can put rondo on the edges but be careful not to get it on the visor.