Painting ?'s

From
    Central Upstate NY

Painting ?'s

I am looking to paint my DP96. I have an airbrush that should work well. What is the best way to go? Paint it all silver first? I have silver/chrome spray in a can, will it work? It is enamel, or shouldn't you use enamels? I see that most use acrylics. It is the same acrylics you get in a craft store? I will probably order most of my colors from testors, but I can a bunch of acrylics from craft stores on hand that I can use for some things. Also, Im looking for advise on putting in scratches, kill stripes, etc. Thanks

Re: Painting ?'s

there are a bunch of great painting walkthroughs on here... look for the ones by spideyfett and r_boba_fett - both are great.

i did the silver first, then layer the colors on method. i used liquid mask from an art supply store to mask off the areas that i wanted to stay silver, since the idea of using mustard just bothered me.

for scratching, i used a caligraphy pen and a nail.

but yeah, if you read back through some of the old threads on the subject, you'll find all sorts of good stuff, and lots of pictures.

i had the same questions when i got my DP 97, heres my thread: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=9280 i used enamel spray paint it worked fine, i just had to let the primer sit for a few days, also if i were to do it again i woulda done crome first and then scratched the paint off afterwards. good luck!

From
    Central Upstate NY

Thanks guys. I also found this site that has a good tutorial-
    http://web.ukonline.co.uk/bingo275/making_boba.htm
    I also found the kill stripe templete on TK409's website that looks awesome. I am really debating on painting on the scratches or scratching the paint off before it dries to create the scratches. I am leaning toward painting them on, just because you could take your time at it, and try and get as accurate as you can.

From
    Central Upstate NY

Are all acrylics the same? I have tons of Citadel paints and Apple Barrel. Would they work? Also I noticed that my Citadel "Red Gore" looks almost perfect for the mandables. Seems to be just a tad brighter than boxcar red.