Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

"Paint by numbers" Humbrol Visual Guide - ESB & ROTJ Helmet & ESB Armor

Re: "Paint by numbers" Humbrol Visual Guide - ESB Helmet & Armor *ROTJ ON THE WAY *

This is a great project, love all the work that's going into the Jedi paint research

From
    Denmark

Re: "Paint by numbers" Humbrol Visual Guide - ESB Helmet & Armor *ROTJ ON THE WAY *

Everything you see here is a community effort

The Rotj paint stuff is a tad more work than i had anticipated but its getting there

From
    Victoria, British Columbia

I picked up a tin of Humbrol 100 and 73 and can confirm that they look like the image I linked to earlier. SUCCESS!

From
    Perth, Western Australia

Excellent DP, good to see you got it sorted.

As for the arrows, I mention these somewhere in my thread, but the red is considerably brighter, so humbrol red 60 works perfectly. As for the other arrow, if you blow up the high res images, I believe it to actually be black and not blue. Both arrows have some light white weathering in them also.. :-)

From
    Denmark

Awesome DP thanks A LOT for the input, its much appreciated !

Jayvee did you paint both the ears with the tank gray / gunmetal combo ? the reason that i ask is that RafalFett's stencils shows the right ear to be a slightly brighter grey, so i thought it might just be done with some silver damage around the edge and a gray no 79 coat + weathering .

From
    Denmark

Here's another Work in progress of the ROTJ version.
    I still need to put down the guidelines ,describe the weathering colors and i am kinda confused about the way people have done the ears.

http://www.jigglenomicon.com/img/ROTJ-PBN-WIP2.PNG
    I have included both Terminal Fettler's and Jayvee's way of painting the upper cheeks.

Again any comments or criticism are appreciated !
    Last edited by Jigglenomicon; Feb 11, 2014 at 1:33 PM.

From
    Florida

This is an extremely helpful thread. Thank you for taking the time to put this together. I am really looking forward to seeing the ROTJ when complete.

From
    Greenwood, AR

I can't really help .. but i can say that your work on this is appreciated ... as i want to do a paint up of a ROTJ lid for someone in the future.. Thank you

From
    Denmark

I have added the first non-wip ROTJ guide to the first post.
    This one took a bit longer than i had anticipated and i still think there is room for improvement.

Thanks to everyone who contributed so far!

From
    Florida

Just bought my paints for an ESB helmet. I think the color number for the orange stripes (that fade from yellow to orange) is actually 82, not 83.

From
    Denmark

Duder777 said: View Post
    Just bought my paints for an ESB helmet. I think the color number for the orange stripes (that fade from yellow to orange) is actually 82, not 83.
    holy moly you are right!... thanks for pointing that out!! i will fix it right away!

Re: "Paint by numbers" Humbrol Visual Guide - ESB & ROTJ Helmet & ESB Armor

I'm hoping to paint an ESB helmet scheme soon so this thread is very useful. I'm UK based so I assume Humbrols are the best option?

I don't have access to an airbrush, can the broad areas of colour (dome etc) be brushed on and somehow sanded/polished down to give an even finish? Do any of the broad area Humbrol colours come in a spray can? Can airbrushing be done relatively cheaply and easily?

Thanks.

From
    Denmark

welsh_bounty_hunter said: View Post
    I'm hoping to paint an ESB helmet scheme soon so this thread is very useful. I'm UK based so I assume Humbrols are the best option?

I don't have access to an airbrush, can the broad areas of colour (dome etc) be brushed on and somehow sanded/polished down to give an even finish? Do any of the broad area Humbrol colours come in a spray can? Can airbrushing be done relatively cheaply and easily?

Thanks.
    you can buy a fairly cheap airbrush "system" that runs on canned air.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revell-39196...422GSPKYPDAJPR

Just remeber that you still have to thin the paint with thinner.

check out this video for general usage on this type of airbrush kit.

Awesome thread, wish I would have found it before I started my helmet, but it's bookmarked for my armor... Any chance of a jetpack rundown?

From
    Denmark

I have played around with the idea of doing some for jetpacks and gauntlets but i havent gotten around to it yet.