Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Origin of The Dent!

Re: Origin of The Dent!

I've noticed that armour never appears to actually protect people in any movie I've seen. Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, King Arthur, etc, etc. It's like the armour is just for appearance. The slightest tap with a blade will cause the wearer to crumple into a lifeless heap. Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever seen a weapon glance off any movie character's armour - ever. What's up with that?

From
    Milwaukee Wisconsin

Tricky said: View Post
    You've got to understand that parts of Boba Fett's life are still a mystery, us fans are given innaccurate information, rumors perpetrated by Fett himself or imagined by his aquaintences & enemies so that by the time these stories get way out here to us in a galaxy far, far away we can never completely know what is or isn't true about the man. We used to think that he was Jaster Mereel, now we think he wasn't. Who knows where he really got all of his armor pieces from? Lots think they do, most of them are wrong. The ones that are right, well there's no way to confirm it cause Fett ain't talking...
    This is true, and we also have to remember that George Lucas decided to completely change Fett's background hence the change with Jaster Mereel.

Forcebewitya.

From
    Atlanta, GA by way of NYC

Forcebewitya said: View Post
    This is true, and we also have to remember that George Lucas decided to completely change Fett's background hence the change with Jaster Mereel.

Forcebewitya.
    It's a good thing that Daniel Logan, a.k.a. kid Fett, is confirmed to be in the new live action Star Wars TV series. Maybe we'll get a retconned answer to the "Jango armor resized" question then.

From
    RIVERBANK CA

you guys gotta understand something about laser blasts and storm trooper armor; they go together like a bullet and a kevlar vest. If a bullet hits you while wearing a kevlar vest you still get the wind knocked out of you from the force of the impact, and Just because the troopers are getting hit doesn't mean they are being killed they're probably all just very stund
    (keep in mind laser blasts are way faster than bullets). and as far as STAR WARS not being reall............................................. ..........you break my heart.

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

Gypsyboy said: View Post
    I've noticed that armour never appears to actually protect people in any movie I've seen. Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, King Arthur, etc, etc. It's like the armour is just for appearance. The slightest tap with a blade will cause the wearer to crumple into a lifeless heap. Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever seen a weapon glance off any movie character's armour - ever. What's up with that?
    no doubt, but a titanium cell phone can save queen latifa's life in that movie with steve martin. but i can quote you at least one movie where the armor caused for a glancing blow. 300, in the leonidas vs berserker scene, leonidas helmet turns a lethal blow away and he just gets a cool scratch.

From
    Irvine, CA

It's a good thing that Daniel Logan, a.k.a. kid Fett, is confirmed to be in the new live action Star Wars TV series. Maybe we'll get a retconned answer to the "Jango armor resized" question then.
    Confirmed where? Can you please provide a non-hearsay source?

From
    Richmond, VA

You've got to understand that parts of Boba Fett's life are still a mystery, us fans are given innaccurate information, rumors perpetrated by Fett himself or imagined by his aquaintences & enemies so that by the time these stories get way out here to us in a galaxy far, far away we can never completely know what is or isn't true about the man. We used to think that he was Jaster Mereel, now we think he wasn't. Who knows where he really got all of his armor pieces from? Lots think they do, most of them are wrong. The ones that are right, well there's no way to confirm it cause Fett ain't talking...
    what about the mail that Frodo wore? Remember with the troll tried to run him thru?

It hurt it, but didn't pierce him.

From
    North Carolina

ItsThatGuy said: View Post
    what about the mail that Frodo wore? Remember with the troll tried to run him thru?

It hurt it, but didn't pierce him.
    Come on guys! Armor only works at the DRAMATICALLY APPROPRIATE MOMENT!

Just like the lingering hero who lives long enough to give that vital information....and the henchmen who instantly dies from a papercut...

Charlie

Well, yeah, but Frodo's mail was Methril. It's purpose was to be a special protective thing that keeps Frodo from being run through. In this case it's actually a story element, as opposed to regular armour actually doing its job. I guess the point is, unless it's somehow important to the story (Frodo's Methril, Leonida's glance off the helmet, etc.), then it ain't very often we see a character being protected by their armour. If you think about it, hobbits with little swords should not have been able to do as much damage to armoured orks as they did. It should have been more like "bonk... hmmm, that didn't do much good, uh-oh" and then we see the orc go "grrrr! splat!!" No more little hobbitses.

Anyway, looks like the discussion went a bit off topic.

From

Foxbatkllr said: View Post
    Confirmed where? Can you please provide a non-hearsay source?
    I'd read here that he was going to be in it, but now that you made me check I see it's fanwank cause on Logan's blog he's only expressing interest, not confirming it. Fark! I really wanted it to be true.

From

I got some semi-reliable news about the live action SW TV series now coming from theforce.net by way of AICN...

TFN story
    AICN

Daniel Logan will get to be Fett...if he's lucky.

Look away now if you do not want to be SPOILED!

I said look away...

You'll SPOIL your dinner...

Still curious?....

OK, here we go: (remembering that the series will be set between Episodes III and IV)

1. Pod Races will be revisited as the series will try to take in and revisit a lot in the SW universe we have come to know and love through the movies.

2. One of the Pod Racers highlighted will be a character named Thall Joben, who you may, or may not, remember from the Droids animated series.

3. We will see Rebel bases, Star Destroyers, Imperial troops, officers, undercover operatives and much more...

4. Expect to see some EU tie-ins (horray!) An example being a Rebel General with the last name Durron. Could this be the father or family member of the future Kessel slave turned Jedi, Kyp Durron?

5. We will see a character named General Papanoida who could be the very same character that George Lucas played during the Opera House scenes in Revenge of the Sith, Barron Papanoida.

6. We will see some characters from the films such as Bib Fortuna and Oola, the poor, rancor eaten, beautiful dancing Twi'lek.

7. The Death Star plans should come into play.

8. The series will go into detail with the characters and what makes them tick. Not everyone is either good or bad.

9. Look for the tone to be that of the Original Trilogy but a bit edgier.

Well, I'm exhausted. Hopefully this brings some great discussion and speculation to tide us over for a while.

Thanks to Nathan T., Ryan P. and "Infra Man" for the heads up.

UPDATE: Two more bits of juicy information not seen in the Aintitcool.com report from a very reliable, yet anonymous, source:

- They're casting for Boba Fett

- Most of the casting going on is for young actors and actresseswith the exception of a couple of middle aged actors

UPDATE #2: Not quite as exciting as the rumors above, but good to hear none the less. George Lucas himself confirmed to the Los Angeles Times that work on the live action series has gotten underway. Click here to check out the article.

Thanks to Tom D. and Richard J. for the heads up.

From
    Iowa City, IA

Seriously, I think that he shoulda filled that stupid dent in!

From
    Boerne, Texas, United States

Seriously, I think that he shoulda filled that stupid dent in!
    Blasphemy!

Btw, Boba killed Jodo Kast after the incident with the Sarlaac.

Boba isn't the only one with a dent!

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

TxFett said: View Post
    Blasphemy!

Btw, Boba killed Jodo Kast after the incident with the Sarlaac.
    True that brother.

From
    Katy, Texas

I also noticed C3PO has a dent...

From
    Perth, Western Australia

I think C3PO has a Boba Fettish

You'd think if he took his father's helmet, he would have at least painted the dent with the rest of it. Nevermind filling it in though, he went to far as to airbrush some burned edges around it! I guess Boba's all image...

From
    Suburban Detroit

I assume he did repaint the helmet to a nice pristine, factory fresh finish. I assume all the dirt, dings, scratches, etc. were hazards of the job. It just got beat up through years of use.

Armor is really for glancing blows.A 90 degree impact allows the projectile to release all of its energy. If the projectiles are solid like a bullet them they have weight, that weight is transfered to the target. If the projectile is Energy/charged particals is would not have weight..as we understand it. so Any impact would not produce recoil.and no neck brakeage. if hit at 90 degrees to the armor then the energy would be focused on that spot and burn through. It is my understanding that St armor acts like a big energy heat sinc, absorbing and dispersing it.Unlike conventional armor intended at stopping hard solid projectiles. This said the impact to Bobas helmet being on the upper radious of his was a deflection hit, and did not,or was not able to penatrate.

As far as we know, the hit was not an onscreen moment...maybe he went into a coma.

Maybe he shook his head and took a tylenol.

The world may never know.

From
    Near Cleveland, Ohio, USA

babyfett said: View Post
    you guys gotta understand something about laser blasts and storm trooper armor; they go together like a bullet and a kevlar vest. If a bullet hits you while wearing a kevlar vest you still get the wind knocked out of you from the force of the impact, and Just because the troopers are getting hit doesn't mean they are being killed they're probably all just very stund
    (keep in mind laser blasts are way faster than bullets). and as far as STAR WARS not being reall............................................. ..........you break my heart.
    It all makes sense now...stormtrooper armor was meant to deflect bullets!!!! Things like rocks and spears more or less bounced off the armor, but caused enough force to kill them lol!

As for his dent, I am still with the one on fighting vader, deflecting a shot and taking one to the dome! Because Jango's helmet is different in many ways, plus the dent isn't the same between the 2. Nuff said. Boba should of upgraded to Fiberglass.

From
    Lost in Kentucky

Just MHO but Boba Fett's "dent" may not be a dent. It may be a gouge in the helmet material. Using a picture from Bobamakers site (thanks) you can clearly see the sharp outer edges, as well as ridges leading to the center, this is indicative of a gouge:

A dent doesn't produce edges like that. A dent produces rounded edges and generally does not cause "sharp" lines inside the crater. See knee and chest armor dents for comparison;

I surmise that the helmet is a composite style, like current military helmets, and the damage is from a projectile/object striking the surface and removing material rather than a dent caused by absorbing impact.

The only other option would be a strike with a blunt object such as a spear, lance or object with a faceted edge. That would be the only way to get the pattern shown. This would rule out any energy/projectile weapon and leave it to a club/hand held weapon. However, the outer edge is still too sharp as that type of strike would still produce a rounded outer edge and Fett's edge is still quite "sharp".
    v/r
    Mike
    Last edited by Desloc; Dec 26, 2007 at 3:46 PM.

Yeah, I always thought it looked more like an impact crater than a dent/melt/blast.
    There are slugthrowers out there.
    Maybe someone (however unlikely) got the drop on our intrepid hero and shot him in the face (a perennial sneaky guy trick). Given the location, the blow prolly spun his head around...painful, yes, but not fatal, or likely even incapacitating. Fett then most likely disintigrated the perpetrator (remember, Vader wasn't talking for the sound of his own voice).

Forgive me for going back to the initial question, but didnt jango have the dent before he rocketed away from dooku?