Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

OK started my first bucket

From
    San Diego

Re: OK started my first bucket

I glassed the outside first, then bondo, gonna also glass the inside when done before putting padding. I fit inside the bucket with my glasses, but just barely, so gonna strategically pad and felt coat the interior, of course gotta leave space inside for batteries, fans, and a microphone... Gonna try to get the right ear cap on today, because tomorrow is a Disneyland day, then Monday I start a new job so wont have time (why is there never time for fun, always work work work).. I'll try to get a few more pics up later today.
    edit... no time for right ear cap today
    Last edited by adonian; Nov 29, 2008 at 4:39 PM.

From
    PHX AZ

is this the helmet that you finished?

From
    San Diego

not done yet, about 70-80%, I got the Right ear on, just need to make the RF, install the visor, finish the final bondo, then prime and paint. I'm off tomorrow, so I should have the smoothing and final bondo done. I'll post another pic or 2 tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails file0062-jpg   file0063-jpg  
    Last edited by adonian; Dec 2, 2008 at 12:05 AM.

From
    San Diego

Okay, I have a small update. I did another layer of bondo, just need to get the mandable a little thicker and smoother on the right side. I got the right lower ear on, and the top ear for the RF, gotta drill for the RF hole, and make a curved RF.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails file0065-jpg   file0067-jpg  

From
    Glendale, Arizona

Looks good...can't wait to see your take on the curved RF.

From
    San Diego

Update: Haven't had much time (if any) but I think I have finished the bondo work, and have put a first color layer, and have done a little battle damage. I noticed that the mandibles are starting to warp out :o at the top of the "T", I will probabley have to do some rubberband work when I put the inner coating of resin. The opening is a little too much at the top so the red visor I have is a little narrow, but I will make it fit. 8)
    Edit, I see where i forgot to paint around the eyes, down infront of the ears, and I didn't paint behind the ears and around the "stripe" around the back. Don't worry, I'll get that part right, I just still need the RF and Key slots, I'm thinking of custom key slots too, anyone got any ideas they'd like to see? I'm gonna add a 'com box' with an antenna from one of my dead wifi cards somewhere on it too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails file0069-jpg   file0070-jpg   file0071-jpg  

Last edited by adonian; Dec 13, 2008 at 1:36 AM.

From
    Central NY

Great Start Looking Good!!

From
    San Diego

Another minior update.
    Got the grey area on the cheek bones, still need to make the RF, I should be able to start that tomorrow. How do I make these pic's smaller? They're pretty darn big.
    Edit: I figured out how to make 'em smaller, so these will be the last ones that are HUGE.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails file0074-jpg   file0075-jpg  
    Last edited by adonian; Dec 20, 2008 at 1:40 AM.

Wow, nice job from such humble beginnings! Just thinking about all the sanding makes me wince!

I've always thought that a slash or two across a helmet or even a blaster scorch was always a cool touch but I'm always torn whether it should or shouldn't go across the visor. I've always thought that if it goes across the visor there should be some sort of damage to the visor too, kinda like Robocop when he gets shot by ED-209 and you can see through the bullet hole of his visor-type thing, or some other sort of scorch-type damage.

Keep on with the updates.

From
    San Diego

General Anesthesia said: View Post
    Wow, nice job from such humble beginnings! Just thinking about all the sanding makes me wince!

I've always thought that a slash or two across a helmet or even a blaster scorch was always a cool touch but I'm always torn whether it should or shouldn't go across the visor. I've always thought that if it goes across the visor there should be some sort of damage to the visor too, kinda like Robocop when he gets shot by ED-209 and you can see through the bullet hole of his visor-type thing, or some other sort of scorch-type damage.

Keep on with the updates.
    Sanding is a REAL PAIN IN THE butt, but layer after layer of bondo and it's still a little warped in the dome (thus the damage to hide imperfections), as for the claw marks across the visor, I may put a clear acrylic in first and damage that, then put the red acrylic behind the clear.

I started to curve my stalk for the RF which I think will be flat and wide along the length of the stalk (cant describe, but will post pic tonight of progress in an edit of this post so I dont artifically bump my own thread and make 'The Dent' mad:thumbup)

From
    Montgomery, PA

adonian said: View Post
    rough color scheme

Looks pretty cool here is mine
    Attached Images Attached Images

From
    San Diego

WolfTheHunter said: View Post
    Looks pretty cool here is mine
    Sorry I dont know if it's my computer or something, but I cant see your pic, could you repost it, I'd love to see your work.

From
    Montgomery, PA

ok posted it again little bigger though
    hope it works
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: bmp .bmp (1.50 MB, 136 views)

From
    Glendale, Arizona

PICTURES!!! WE NEED PICTURES!!!

From
    San Diego

A'den Kyramud said: View Post
    PICTURES!!! WE NEED PICTURES!!!
    I'll try, I'm at work right now... Thank Apple for the iPhone... Tomorrow I will try to put up another pic or two... That curved rf is complicated but gonna make it work. Got a few left over electronics I'm gonna use for looks. I'll post them tonight when I get home (I'll edit this post)

From
    Montgomery, PA

ok now that pic i posted earlier is what i hope the end result is for my bucket.(I'll post pics of my progress as soon as i can find the usb cable for the camera:o) then i want to get some black armor and with a black cape like boba's with a green mythosaur skull on it.
    any ideas for what i could use under the armor for like boba's flight suit?
    any ideas or advice for any thing else?

From
    San Diego

Hey Wolf...I got your pic to save then opened it in paint, I like the solid black, the green visor can be found on fleabay from the same seller that I got my red one.
    Okay, these are pics of what I put together for my RF, it's the lcd from a chinese ipod that broke (go fig ) and the circuit board if from an older RF modulator. I plan on just putting it into wet resin and then sanding it to the shape I need, I dont need it to be perfectly clear like acrylic. The other pics here show how I am fixing the warping of the t-visor. I glassed in at the warp, then put bondo inside, I only have 1 side done, and hope to have the other side done in a day or 2 (New job, crazy hours no fixed schedule yet) I hope this will keep it from warping again so I can finally put in the red visor I have sitting around. I hope these are little smaller...>>>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails inside-fix-jpg   rf-circuits-jpg   rf-view-finder-jpg  

tvisor-jpg   warp-fix-jpg  
    Last edited by adonian; Dec 20, 2008 at 1:45 AM.

From
    Montgomery, PA

ok found the cable lol
    here ya go prob gona cover it all in a thin layer of bondo and get sanding!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mando-others-056-jpg   mando-others-057-jpg   mando-others-058-jpg  

mando-others-059-jpg  

From
    San Diego

it's a good idea using a ready made helmet, my dome is a little bumpy. I saw a guy who actually used a sieve (strainer) for his dome, it came out XLNT.

You should use fiberglass and resin. I used glass cut using the template so I could lay it around the face and back, and just cut strips for the dome, it drys REALLY HARD, then put a thin layer of bondo, sand, more bondo, more sanding, a little more bondo for final shaping, then spot filler and filler primer, then paint, then sanding, then more paint etc etc etc
    take your time, dont rush, that's what happened to my visor, that's why I needed to glass it from the inside... (see above pics for visual aide of warpage)

And before I put in the red visor, I need to get a red EL wire to surround the ENTIRE visor up, around, over and down agian I really hope to get more done soon (Xmas and a new job right now are really tossing a monkey wrench into the works) but right now, I just got off work, and I need a drink
    Last edited by adonian; Dec 20, 2008 at 1:52 AM.

From
    Montgomery, PA

oh ok thnks for the advice.
    if anyone here plays starwars battlefront 2 online visit my page in my signature please!

From
    Glendale, Arizona

Great job on fixing the warp!!!

Have you ordered the EL wire yet? I can't wait to see it with that and the visor in!!!

From
    San Diego

A'den Kyramud said: View Post
    Great job on fixing the warp!!!

Have you ordered the EL wire yet? I can't wait to see it with that and the visor in!!!
    Got about $4.00 left in the bank But I get paid Friday (full 40 hours finally) So I will order it then, I am off tomorrow so I hope to have the rest of the interior glassed and bondo'd (if thats a word) I will need to get my hands on some mirror tint to make the red visor reflective before I install it because you'd be able to see my ugly face behind it :o . Then I need to find a way to put the LED's for lighting up the night on Halloween next year (dont wanna get hit by a car).

From
    Montgomery, PA

hey adonian could you tell me the name of the seller that sold u your visor?
    thanks

From
    San Diego

300252159784 <<<< the item number on Fleabay for the one you will want (if you want green)

From
    Montgomery, PA

adonian
    i used a baseball helmet for the dome i got the idea from WOF
    thanks for the item #!!