noob, helmet on a budget

update + colour? help

ok i know this is rubbish compared to the helmets on here, but for £30 all done i am quite happy. rubies off fleabay, i pot olive paint, 1 matt black, plus silver/gold paint pen which i already had. including motor bike visor which didn't really need was a fiver also.

gonna lighten the green with a repaint i think, but its given me the bug. are there any members that sell completed helmets, if so please pm me with prices ets.

ready for the onslaught..whaddya think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fetto-0061-jpg  
    Last edited by HUNTER; Jul 4, 2008 at 10:47 AM. Reason: update colour help

From
    South Elgin, IL

Re: noob, helmet on a budget

Not bad at all for a first try sir. A new visor would definitely make it better, and those only run maybe $10.

cheers, am i right in thinking i need to lighten the green?

From
    Greensburg Indiana

very good for your first attempt, but you will be so much happier believe me when you get a new t-visor installed as far as completed helmets go... they get sold on here all the time! but the really good ones don't stay on for long so ya got to be quick!!
    Last edited by vadr_h8r; Jun 25, 2008 at 4:42 PM.

From
    Greensburg Indiana

if it ROTJ your going after you need to paint your kill stripes an orange-yellow. very nice though!

From
    Greensburg Indiana

here is a pic of a MR ESB and SFG ROTJ. its crazy how many differences there are. What type are you going for?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mrvsmystery2-jpg  

vadr_h8r said: View Post
    if it ROTJ your going after you need to paint your kill stripes an orange-yellow. very nice though!
    there'd be more to it than the yellow stripes. the earcap there is ESB style as well, so i'm pretty confident that rotj is not the goal

thanks for comments vadr h8r, your right tk7602 i would def. b lookin at a esb version, but apart from visor with a bit more work i might just settle with it. but i could still be interested in "expertly done" version, depending on price.

HUNTER said: View Post
    thanks for comments vadr h8r, your right tk7602 i would def. b lookin at a esb version, but apart from visor with a bit more work i might just settle with it. but i could still be interested in "expertly done" version, depending on price.
    there was a thread 'round here recently about what a paintup goes for. i think the idea was $200 - $500+ for the painting, plus the cost of the helmet.

if you poke around on older threads you should find it

i think that really replacing the visor would be the thing that would transform it into a whole new helmet!

i saw the t visors for sale b4 i bought the bike visor, the problem is the helmet is pretty warped down the front and i had trouble sticking it, (hot melt but no glue gun) i can't see a new visor solving this problem as it will still look out of shape.

From
    Greensburg Indiana

im not sure what a bike visor looks like. but t-visors are shaped to fit to the helmet. and the newer Don Posts and Rubies are shaped weird But there is a thread on here that shows you how to reshape them its a method called flaring. check out this how-to!! http://www.geocities.com/mandalorian...etflaring.html

wow thanks for that, only problem is i tried yanking on it just to see if i could widen it and it split up side 1 of the ears, it superglued perfect but not sure it will hold up to any flaring, which is annoying! but cheers for the "heads up"

From
    houston

helmet looks good

From
    Greensburg Indiana

remember to heat it up before you do anything to it. plus with the t-visor cut out it will be able to expand. (you do have it cut out now, dont you?)

for the moment i am gonna concentrate on getting the paintwork right, eventually i might re-do the visor. but i will need to build up the vertical section of the T as its unevenness where the visor sticks is what is making the visor look wavey and a bit kakola.
    i appreciate all your input guys, cheers

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

just so you know man, the visor is mounted inside the helmet, behind the t-cut. not flush with the outer edge. and with the rubies, it's probably easiest to cut out the old visor when you have a new one in hand ready to install. also, if you get an 8 or 9 inch (don't know metric conversion off the top of my head) wood or metal ring, heat up the inside of the helmet with a hair dryer then kinda wedge the ring into the top part of the helmet and hotglue it in, that should give it a pretty darn good shape. it worked out pretty well on the two rubies helmets that i've worked on so far.

ah that would make a differnece dude, cheers for that, as i said previously though side of helmemt is superglued so heating and flaring is probably a no go.

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

you'd be suprised how resiliant superglue can be. and if it does come loose, you can always reglue after everything is in the proper shape.

ok i might get round to trying to flare it, not sure how acrylic paint will hold up to hot water though?

ok so i have redone the visor i cut out the T section and put new bike visor on inside. i think its an improvement but by no means perfect, and notice i have included "battle damage" on the visor which was done on purpose and not by a slip with the scissors. the helmet is damaged everywhere else so it follows the visor should be too i think(yeh right).

lightened the green and redid the silver weathering, but i still can't get the right colour aarrgh! (used light grey in olive)

I have acces to tamiya acrylics so if anyone would be kind enough to tell me what colour/s i needed it would be much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails update-jpg  

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

definatley a step in the right direction there. keep checking out reference pics, and keep working that bucket. when you feel your skills are ready, you should make the jump to a bobamaker helmet.

update finally got a better shade of green after mixing yet another wrong green (light us military) with regular emulsion!? seemed to work.

used hunmbrol red wine on mandible and have done half the weathering on the right side, taking my time for a more accurate finish, just free handed it on.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25925&stc=led121579951 4[/IMG]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails paint-jpg   paint1-jpg