Hey guys and gals a few months back I purchased a SgtFang bucket as the start of my planned rotj/se Fett. I finally got some time to get started and I snapped a bunch of pictures with my new camera. I know this has been done a hundred times before but I know many of you, like me, love watching progress threads so here goes.
Here's my work space not exactly a workshop but it works:
Here's the tools that I used to start the clean up of my helmet:
This set of Hobby Files is one of the best things that I purchased. It comes with a 2 flat files 1 square file, 1 round file, 1 semi-elliptical, and 1 fully elliptical. You can find them at Home Depot in the tools section, I highly recommend them:
Remember kids always where your saftey gear:
I made my first cuts use my dremel with a carbon fiber reinforced cutting discs. I went really rough on my first cuts as I was terrified of screwing up. I think it was a good idea to do trimming of large areas and then cleaning up the closer details.
I then scored the thinner more brittle resin that was left over with my utility knife and was able to just snap it off with my hands:
I then moved to the top of the t-visor and again cut it out roughly:
Once the rough cuts where done I got a little bit bolder with my cutting wheel and started cutting some of the excess resin out of the visor:
I used a combination of the cutting wheel and a sanding drum to do more of the clean up.
I then decided to switch to a normal Dremel cutting bit to clean out the narrower parts of the top of the T. I figured it would give me more control and allow me to clean up the detail easier. It worked out ok but unfortunately it got away from me a few times and left me with some areas that needed to be fixed. After the area was mostly cleaned I went back with my hobby files and cleaned the narrower areas up.
Screw up 1:
Screw up 2:
After the Visor was cleaned out I decided to start putting filler on the bucket. Here's the raw filler after it being put on the bucket. It's squadron white.
I was also able to use the filler to fix the areas that I had screwed up:
After 2 coats of filler I am pretty pleased with how the raised areas are looking:
Here's the bucket almost done with the prep work. All that's left is the (gulp) ketslots. My plan for those is to do a rough cut with the dremel and then finish the clean up with the hobby files.
Aside from the ketslots I also need to even out the width of the visor opening from the inside of the bucket so that the tvisor will sit correctly.
I'll add more pics as I have time to update this. It may be a while due to the fact I have to move out of my apartment soon.