Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

NikNak's SgtFang Progress Thread (PIC Intensive)

From
    Los Angeles, CA

NikNak's SgtFang Progress Thread (PIC Intensive)

Hey guys and gals a few months back I purchased a SgtFang bucket as the start of my planned rotj/se Fett. I finally got some time to get started and I snapped a bunch of pictures with my new camera. I know this has been done a hundred times before but I know many of you, like me, love watching progress threads so here goes.

Here's my work space not exactly a workshop but it works:

Here's the tools that I used to start the clean up of my helmet:

This set of Hobby Files is one of the best things that I purchased. It comes with a 2 flat files 1 square file, 1 round file, 1 semi-elliptical, and 1 fully elliptical. You can find them at Home Depot in the tools section, I highly recommend them:

Remember kids always where your saftey gear:

I made my first cuts use my dremel with a carbon fiber reinforced cutting discs. I went really rough on my first cuts as I was terrified of screwing up. I think it was a good idea to do trimming of large areas and then cleaning up the closer details.

I then scored the thinner more brittle resin that was left over with my utility knife and was able to just snap it off with my hands:

I then moved to the top of the t-visor and again cut it out roughly:

Once the rough cuts where done I got a little bit bolder with my cutting wheel and started cutting some of the excess resin out of the visor:

I used a combination of the cutting wheel and a sanding drum to do more of the clean up.
    I then decided to switch to a normal Dremel cutting bit to clean out the narrower parts of the top of the T. I figured it would give me more control and allow me to clean up the detail easier. It worked out ok but unfortunately it got away from me a few times and left me with some areas that needed to be fixed. After the area was mostly cleaned I went back with my hobby files and cleaned the narrower areas up.

Screw up 1:

Screw up 2:

After the Visor was cleaned out I decided to start putting filler on the bucket. Here's the raw filler after it being put on the bucket. It's squadron white.

I was also able to use the filler to fix the areas that I had screwed up:

After 2 coats of filler I am pretty pleased with how the raised areas are looking:

Here's the bucket almost done with the prep work. All that's left is the (gulp) ketslots. My plan for those is to do a rough cut with the dremel and then finish the clean up with the hobby files.

Aside from the ketslots I also need to even out the width of the visor opening from the inside of the bucket so that the tvisor will sit correctly.

I'll add more pics as I have time to update this. It may be a while due to the fact I have to move out of my apartment soon.
    Last edited by NikNak_aka; Jan 29, 2007 at 4:39 PM.

I helped at SDCC '08 Jimmy BufFETT's Avatar
    From
    Phoenix, AZ

Re: NikNak's SgtFang Progress Thread (PIC Intensive)

Nice work so far. Just gotta question a little off subject because I really wanna know: what on Earth happened to your safety goggles in the second pic of yourself? Did ya spray yourself?

From
    Los Angeles, CA

Haha thats resin dust its a before and after pic of making my first cuts with the dremel.

From
    Roanoke, TX

Great work thus far bro!

Account Deactivated

Looking good so far Rob!! ....love the "workshop"..

great start!!

From
    Corbin, Ky

Yes, Great Start! You can never stress enough the importance of good prep work.

From
    Whitehorse, Yukon

Lookin good! Are you going to square up the corners on the cheeks like Justin did on ripcodes rotj bucket?

From
    Los Angeles, CA

No I dont think that I will as this one is gonna be ESB style paintjob. I have an MS3 on the way that will be 100% RotJ so I probbaly will with that one.

From
    Los Angeles, CA

Also, I have a pair of movie accurate ears coming in from Lee(RougeStudios) and Single Seat. So I will have to modify the RF ear to work with the new ear caps. I hope that I do a good job and people can use this as a guide for their mystery helmets.

From
    Corbin, Ky

NikNak_aka said: View Post
    No I dont think that I will as this one is gonna be ESB style paintjob. I have an MS3 on the way that will be 100% RotJ so I probbaly will with that one.
    Actually the cheek corners are squared on the ESB also. I think the rounded corners were a hold over from the DP 95 that was used as a guide in the sculpting process.

From
    Los Angeles, CA

Oh. Well I'll have to look at the ref pics closer and then figure out the best way to do that. Thanks for the info guys!

From
    Irvine, CA

I have that same hobby file set. Its a great set!

It is a bit nerving when doing cutting. But you did a nice job.
    So hows the wife dealing with the kitchen being turned into the shop! LOL!

From
    Newport News, VA

Also, I have a pair of movie accurate ears coming in from Lee(RougeStudios) and Single Seat. So I will have to modify the RF ear to work with the new ear caps. I hope that I do a good job and people can use this as a guide for their mystery helmets.
    Now that is something I'll be very interested to see!

Nice work so far.

From
    Whitehorse, Yukon

Oh. Well I'll have to look at the ref pics closer and then figure out the best way to do that. Thanks for the info guys!
    Justin told me he did it with an exacto knive and some bondo. Ask him for advise, he's really helpful when it comes to this kind of stuff.

From
    Los Angeles, CA

A disaster almost just happened. I was getting ready to go look at apartments and I had my bucket sitting on my bed. When I went to grab my jacket off the bed it knocked the bucket onto the ground right on to the mandible. It made a pretty nasty crack from the corner of the tvisor area to the rear of the bucket. Thank fully I was able to put some CA glue on it right away. I'll putty it up after the CA dries to cover the crack up.

Do you guys think I need to reinforce this any more than just the CA glue and putty?
    Last edited by NikNak_aka; Jan 28, 2007 at 11:07 AM.

From
    Whitehorse, Yukon

You can't reinforce too much, when in doubt, add more. It might even counter balance the wieght of the range finder.

I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    From
    California USA

I broke the mandible off my Sgt. Fang too. Be sure to use shims on the inside of the bucket to reinforce the two pieces together. No one sees the inside but you so it doesn't have to be pretty, but it needs to be functional and support the two pieces.

From
    Pennsylvania

JB Weld on the inside, Bondo on the outside.

You could always get some fiberglass and cloth and brush in some fiberglass gel and lay the swatch of cloth in and then brush a little more fiberglass on top. This will give an excellent reiforcement inside. But do this process out doors. Its stinky but very strong.
    Last edited by goldenrod; Jan 28, 2007 at 3:52 PM.

From
    The first state

Devilstar2k2 said: View Post
    JB Weld on the inside, Bondo on the outside.

Couldn't agree more......there's no such thing as building something too strong.

Steve

From
    Los Angeles, CA

I am pretty sure that I am gonna end up fiberglassing the inside of the bucket but I wont be able to until after I move. The mandible is stable now at least with the CA glue and filler on both sides. I have some really good industrial strength Expoy that I am gonna throw on the inside after I sand down the filler.

I also started squaring the "cheeks" with my exacto knife. You can see it a little bit in the pics with the broken mandible. I need to add some filler so that I can make the detail just a little bit sharper.
    Last edited by NikNak_aka; Jan 29, 2007 at 4:45 PM.

From
    Whitehorse, Yukon

Are you going to add missing details or just go straight onto paint? The corner you have shown looks good! I'm really looking forward to the rest of the progress.

From
    Chicagoland

Man that sucks, I'm sorry that happend! That is the bad part about resin helmets VS. Fiberglass, it tends to be alittle less durable.