Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    Apr 18, 2010, 6:50 AM - Re: Newbie needs some guidance! #26

if you want to get in touch try this: info@wayneashworthart.co.uk
    Apr 22, 2010, 10:56 AM - Re: Newbie needs some guidance! #27

Work is incredible. I hate to do this, but I question wether the darth maul up close is a painting (looks like makeup on person. Can't help but notice hem around horns and no signature).

Great work on helmet.
    Apr 22, 2010, 12:13 PM - Re: Newbie needs some guidance! #28

Hi GraphiX, you are in your rights to question the Darth Maul portrait, this remains my best painting to date which is quite a depressing fact given I painted it so long ago now. The details are all indeed painted, and I painted it over the course of a week, everynight after I finished work and then finishing it at the weekend. I sold the painting a few years ago now but recently caught up with the owner, an old friend, via Facebook. I have been unsuccessful in convincing people I actually did paint this since the very day I completed it, it is only until you get up close can you see the brush strokes and I will be getting photos of these details and uploading them to my art website and also my bits an bats pages on Deviantart: www.evarcha.deviantart.com. (browse gallery button)

There is a sig in the bottom left hand of the painting but not on the photo of it due to cropping, this was a scan of a photo I took not long after I finished work on it. When I obtain multiple photos of the painting I will have to show them to you, you will see it is indeed a painting. But thankyou, I got lucky with that painting and have since not been able to capture that level of photo-realism, apart from my Hellboy painting (which hangs in my living room, proof of that is easier to obtain ) http://evarcha.deviantart.com/art/Hellboy-138692269

Trust me, I am no fraud.

Since discovering TDH, I have learned that it's probably fortunate I haven't attempted a Boba Fett painting, (well, I have a w.i.p, but it's ugly and shall be trashed, it's also lacking accurate details, something I am a stickler for but the reference photo looked ok to me at the time, until I actually learned the various scratches and places of the scratches)

I intend to do a painting of Fett, maybe even several now I have grown in confidence with the details, with a view to releasing the images as Deluxe limited edition prints, each one giving a donation to TDH.
    Last edited by Evarcha; Apr 22, 2010 at 12:21 PM.
    Apr 22, 2010, 6:14 PM - Re: Newbie needs some guidance! #29

When you put the hem around horns, were you thinking about the way that lucas would actually attach them? By the way, WOW! thats a good painting! Seeing that yes you could easily mistake that painting for a picture, you could take a picture from the side so people could see the texture (wait, it's in oil right?) Also, when you paint it, will you paint the weathering on, or apply through layer and scrape away?
    Apr 23, 2010, 6:49 AM - Re: Newbie needs some guidance! #30

I had a reference photo I worked from, from Empire magazine, and yes, I figured the horns had a base of latex and so I included them in the painting, that kind of thing adds to realism I find.
    I will try to obtain a set of photographs from various angles, this all depends on if my old friend has a camera she can take pictures with! I may just have to arrange a visit, after all, I haven't seen the painting in over 5 years now. It is acrylic paint on stretches canvas, VERY large, 100 cms x 80cms.

As for the weathering, I don't know which to go for, this is my first bucket I have made, and looking at it I can't decide which to do, I will probably paint on the weathering and then should I make a second (which is likely) then I'll look into masking the weathering with latex so I can peel away the paint to reveal the metal etc. I sanded and filled the ear sections last night, just needs a bit of re-filling and stuff, I will be uploading more pictures probably tonight.
    Apr 24, 2010, 6:42 AM - Re: Newbie needs some guidance! #31

Actually now that I think about it....... I would suggest painting it on. Assuming you make armor though, I would use layer and sandpaper for that.

Oh, and keep us updated if you have any more paintings. Love to see them =)
    Apr 25, 2010, 3:35 PM - Re: Newbie needs some guidance! #32

hi Evarcha , your helmet is looking really good , put some more pic please when you start painting , I'm going to be ready to paint my scratch build very soon , i choose layering and scraping method :] however not sure if i know exactly how do it correctly :] it may not be easy :]]]
    Apr 25, 2010, 4:24 PM - Re: Newbie needs some guidance! #33

Well, you should layer A LOT, and I personally use a fine grit sandpaper but other people prefer other methods. And, I would suggest (never seen it before) an extremely watered down ink applied to creases with a que tip in order for it to look aged. Just an idea.
    Apr 25, 2010, 7:52 PM - Re: Newbie needs some guidance! #34

I wish you luck on the painting of your bucket, I am still unsure as to the best way to go about painting my first bucket, but I know I will produce a nice ornament in the end, which is what I was after...
    Thnakyou so much for your kind comments SnakeThorn, I wish you thr best on your project and pleas upload photos, we like a good photo selecton here
    Apr 26, 2010, 3:38 PM - Re: Newbie needs some guidance! #35

Assuming that you paint the battle damage on, I would just attack the thing with the raw colors first. Then for the battle damage I would build up the out side of each "tear" and than move on to the more central part of the "tear" with different colors and slowly build up the colors inwards.
    Apr 27, 2010, 1:55 PM - Re: Newbie needs some guidance! #36

Hi SnakeThorn! (cool name)
    I bought new batteries for my camera, so I can take better photos. I only have the rear grille to make and install, the Vidor to do and the top of the Range Finder then I shall start painting, but knowing how impatient i can be i might start the painting sooner rather than later.

I shall indeed be posting pics, and at the moment I don't know which technique I will be using....because the helmet is far from movie accurate I shall probably go with painting the weathering on...if I ever make another helmet I might try the latex-masking method to produce a nice layered look....
    Apr 27, 2010, 1:57 PM - Re: Newbie needs some guidance! #37

Thats a good idea....I might try that. The thing is, I am colourblind, i am having trouble recognising the colours...i tend to load an image into photoshop and use colour picker to show me if red is present, if it is I know what to do, same if it's not...
    Apr 27, 2010, 4:05 PM - Re: Newbie needs some guidance! #38

You're colour blind? Do you mean that you can't see colours at all or just what colour they actually are. How do you paint normally? Maybe you could have someone nearby tell you if it's the right colour?
    Last edited by GraphiX; Jun 20, 2010 at 8:42 PM.
    Apr 27, 2010, 4:14 PM - Re: Newbie needs some guidance! #39

Yes unfortunately, although it doesn't really affect my life too much, I am red/green colourblind, which affects stuff like purple (blue+red, I am sure you know) looks blue or purple....(it gets confusing here my friend!)
    Mostly I just have to hope I am not mixing stuff up wrong....when I painted my Wolverine portrait I was convinced the paint was green, I still am to be honest, but I only used a tube of black and a tube of white paint....so my eyes play tricks on me. It's an interesting affliction, one I have read a lot about.

I do tend to ask my girlfriend a lot, when I am painting, what colours I am mixing look to her, so that I don't make a huge gaff and paint green where red sould be. I have done things like that when I was a kid, coloured stuff in wrong, green is still brown to me. Apart from when it's green.
    Apr 27, 2010, 4:23 PM - Re: Newbie needs some guidance! #40

Yes I am very familiar with the primaries (red, blue, yellow) mix to create the secondaries (purple, orange, green) and two opposites on a color wheel to make brown (sorry to point out the obvious but just to prove my understanding). Back on topic: Hmmmmmm.......... That's not a very good situation. Can you match the colors of a picture of boba fett for the colors you see to the colors that they look like when you're mixing?

BTW, I am an artist as well except mostly graphite. Unfortunately, I do not have any college education in art due to the fact that I am still in school, but I can post some pics of my more impressive drawings if you like.
    Apr 27, 2010, 4:30 PM - Re: Newbie needs some guidance! #41

I wasn't sure if you knew colour mixing, please forgive me, I didn't mean to sound like a arse.
    Yes, it's a tricky one. I just hope I don't mix too much yellow into the shoulders, or get the red wrong on the mandibles.
    I am gonna have to just wing it I'm afraid. I'll probably start a thread called 'Colourblind noobie needs some help!!' (keep an eye out for that one)

I would love to see your work!
    I have no formal education in art save for what I learned in high school....
    Apr 27, 2010, 4:35 PM - Re: Newbie needs some guidance! #42

I'll sure do. Here, let me switch to my not school computer. And good luck on winging it.
    Apr 27, 2010, 5:09 PM - Re: Newbie needs some guidance! #43

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eggplant Animation.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	407.7 KB 
ID:	43309 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img009.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	910.5 KB 
ID:	43310 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img007.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	43311 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Google.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	520.1 KB 
ID:	43312 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Balrog.gif 
Views:	135 
Size:	711.2 KB 
ID:	43313

Okay, I think you'll be able to figure out which one is which. The balrog drawing (big beast from lord of the rings) is my original drawing and the one in color is for a game that my buddy at eggplant animations is going to turn into a game. The one that is all the fruit in stuff is my doodle 4 google (search it if you've never heard of it. The eggplant is the black and whits symbol I drew for eggplant animations. The mando looking guy is my own design but then I figured out that no one's head would fit in that helmet.
    I would show you some even better ones that I made but they are currently not scanned into the computer. Maybe some other time though.
    Apr 27, 2010, 5:17 PM - Re: Newbie needs some guidance! #44

I checked out your Eggplant stuff, the games etc, I was impressed, there's a lot of passion an talent there!
    I loved the anatomy of the Balrog, both versions in fact and you have created a very powerful image in the last Balrog picture, I like it.
    The custom Mando would fit my pin-head...trust me.
    Ah, the google image is great! (I googled eggplant animations, and yes, very impressive. )
    Are you on deviantart?
    Apr 27, 2010, 5:23 PM - Re: Newbie needs some guidance! #45

No, I'm not on deviant art..... I just don't make enough drawings and such that people would find interesting..... Oh, you're going to really like our balrog game when we're finished with it. You will be a balrog that basically be a balrog that ransacs a city!
    Any way, back on thread topic: How's the helmet going?

P.S. Love the sig.
    P.P.S. I have some really simple animations that I can pm to you if you like. I don't want to goop up this thread with my stuff.
    P.P.P.S. BTW, the paint program that I use is literally called paint.net if you want to check it out
    Last edited by GraphiX; Apr 27, 2010 at 5:25 PM. Reason: to add Post Post Post Script
    Apr 27, 2010, 5:47 PM - Re: Newbie needs some guidance! #46

Actually I don't know how to do video on pm. So I'm sorry but here you are Click image for larger version. 

Name:	man being cut up.gif 
Views:	109 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	43314 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ninga corp.gif 
Views:	83 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	43315 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eggplant animation.gif 
Views:	99 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	43316
    Apr 27, 2010, 5:48 PM - Re: Newbie needs some guidance! #47

I think your stuff will go down well on there, there are groups of guys who do the gamedev stuff.
    My page is www.evarcha.deviantart.com/gallery if you get on there give me a shout.

The helmet is shaping up. I have been working on the visor tonight, clear perspex with window-tint to create the look, or similar...(I tried 2 layers of tint which made BLACK black, great to look at, nearly impossible to see through!) I'll re-look at this in the morning. Working on the rear-grille, wondering should I fabricate the circuit board too...I probably will cos I am a sucker for detail. I went through Antman's thread, his first bucket and was blown away, it was that thread that inspired me to start work on my own helmet.

I'm dying to paint it now....but must continue prepping.
    (thanks man, I want this sig on a t shirt)
    (please do!)
    (I will look it up, but I am a photoshop user, I have been for about 8 years now....can't use anything else, g.i.m.p is good though)
    Apr 27, 2010, 5:49 PM - Re: Newbie needs some guidance! #48

hahaha!!!
    I love them! Brilliant!
    Apr 27, 2010, 5:55 PM - Re: Newbie needs some guidance! #49

If you do get your sig on a shirt make 2 and I'll buy one. And I'm glad you like em. I also have a hand drawn animation which is just me gradually drawing the eggplant animation symbol but the file size is too large. And from what I read, I would say that you need some 2 way glass (can see through one side but not the other)

JFK, what time is it in the big kingdom when you had your last post? for me it was at 6:49 in the evening.
    Apr 27, 2010, 6:14 PM - Re: Newbie needs some guidance! #50

Haha, I am glad u like the Sig. I am sure if I make the shirt I won't be making profit from you, I know a guy who makes stuff, a good guy, I will get a good price, I'll pass that generosity on.
    That sounds interesting, 2 way glass...I need to know more...

Yes, it's getting late here, 00:12 a.m. no more work on the lid for tonight....photos to come soon though.