Subscribe
  1. 1 Week Ago - May 16, 2015, 9:52 PM - Newbie - Fett Helmet #1

Hey there, I started this thread over at the RPF, but thought I would duplicate it here in hopes of getting more feedback and advice. I hope this is ok.

Hi all, complete newbie here embarking on my first prop and pepakura build. I'm using firefeks file and having a good time giving the pep thing a go. I have nearly got it at resin/fibreglass stage but I am unsure if I should pep the 'ear pieces' or not. I have looked at several build threads and it appears the consensus is it may be easier to leave them off at this stage. What do you think?

So I finished up the pep leaving the ears off. I've started the resining and will post pics off that soon.

I've made a little more progress.. this has been my first experience with fibreglass and bondo. I have read heaps on the forums and checked out lots of youtube vids, so I think I am going the right direction, however please let me know if you have any advice or comments or can help me do things better...

First of I resined the inside and outside and then fibreglassed just the inside:

Now was time to start my adventure with bondo, I gave the resined helmet a light sand and then jumped in. I didn't get as smooth an application as I was trying for, but I guess that will come with practice.

After a bit of sanding:

Lots more work to do... Please let me know if you think I am on the right track. I am just going to keep going with filling the gaps and sanding and filling the gaps and sanding etc... Try to get a consistent shape and then worry about the details later.
  2. 1 Week Ago - May 16, 2015, 9:56 PM - Re: Newbie - Fett Helmet #2

I am in the process of sanding/bondo today, as I work I am trying to figure out how to build the ridge around the helmet. I read in my research of another builder using cardboard and then filler over the top. What have others done?
  3. 1 Week Ago - May 17, 2015, 12:28 AM - Re: Newbie - Fett Helmet #3

I'm lost! More bondo and sanding today, but I am feeling lost as to getting the right shape into the cheeks and creating the straight edges for the eye section. My thoughts are that is should start by putting the ridge (above the eyes) around the helmet and work from there. But I'm not sure how I am going to do that. Any ideas and what my next step should be?

4. 42 Minutes Ago - May 25, 2015, 2:28 AM - Re: Newbie - Fett Helmet #4

Last edited by KraftyKaracters; 32 Minutes Ago at 2:38 AM.