Looks great so far! Can't wait to see the progress...
Looks great so far! Can't wait to see the progress...
Well, here goes...In these photos I show the reworked ear pieces and what they looked like after sparying them with a dark grey primer paint. I will sand them to smooth them out more (I purchased 1000 grit sandpaper for final painting) and then if I really like them and how they turned out, I will cast them with a casting kit I had bought about a month ago (yeah, I got a little behind on things!). I added more bondo to the cheeks and the spots where the ear pieces mount to the sides of the lid. This was needed to correct a minor alignment issue with the right side. Again, smoothing and sanding, sanding and smoothing to get it to my liking. I mentioned it before, the reason I want this to be as close to perfect as I can is so I can mold the helmet and cast it for a one piece - if that works, maybe I will share! Finally, as promised, I took a photo with a ruler from base to top, it appears to be a little under 10". Is that a correct size? did I make a monumental mistake??
you're makin' me drool... cant wait to see it 100% 1 day i will post when I start mine. I have Alan's templates and I'm gonna do the trash can armor first I think, then the bucket since I think it's the hardest (and most important) part.
Thanks, always appreciated!!
This weekend I was fairly busy getting some work done. I sanded quite a bit and was able to get a smooth finish for once. I had to remove the last bit of Bondo that I had added. I liked how it came out, so.....I decided to hit it with my first coat of primer. Now keep in mind that I still have quite a few steps before finalizing things (key holes, stalk and view finder stalk mount, as well as cutting out the visor - which will happen after I reinforce the inside of the helmet with some resin and fiberglass). So, yeah, still a lot to do. In any event, here you go!
Wow! That has come along well. It is so nice man. Great job!
Thanks very much!
I have run into something though that I am hoping someone else may have also and has a solution. I noticed that the primer does not mix well with the Bondo? In spots, like the cheeks for instance, there is Bondo and then Sintra in the same area. The Bondo is not really thick here because it was sanded down. But, the primer I used really brings out the Bondo areas a little more than I wanted it to. Will this go away when I actually get to painting? Or did I not sand it enough? Was there some kind of sealer I should have used? Also, I have a lot of small streaks from the sandpaper I used, I thought I had eliminated them with finer grits of sandpaper, but again, the primer really brings it out. Is this something that I need to sand again until they are gone or is there some kind of sealer that can be used to smooth things out more??
Any help is greatly appreciated, especially since I am so close to the end!!
Excellent job mate. I love the work on this helm. I can honestly say that you helped me out. My first helm looked good, but it wasn't very durable...just seeing some of the technique used (via pictures) really helped me out.
WOW! great job so far....I think I need to start over on mine now!
i think that there's no way to get away from a little more sanding on this project. same with the other problem. more sanding can only help it to look better.
other than what you're stating it looks pretty darn good from where i'm sitting.
Where does one find stencils of the Fett helmet?
I think he is saying the roughness of the bondo and sintra is showing through. Here is my suggestion. Sand until you turn blue. Go with 220 first to get the bumps out, move up to 400 and sand that sucker down like you have never sanded before. Then go up to 600, and to finish things off, primer it, wet sand it with 2000 grit, primer it again, feel it for any bumps, wet sand it again. Repeat the wet sanding process if you still can feel tiny imperfections and micro-bumps. When you are all done, primer it up again and start painting.
Just remember that if you want a really smooth finish on your helmet, then IMO sanding is the most crucial key and you should take the most time sanding it down to get it smooth!
That seems to really be the truth to this scratch building, sanding, sanding and hey - more sanding! I found some 1000 grit paper at a local hobby store, but 2000? I have not seen that high, did you purchase on line or at a local shop? I am hoping that I have not applied the first primer coat too soon, all the sanding that I have to do is going to be difficult from the primer paint "gumming" up the sandpaper. But yes, sounds like my work is still far from over!
I have up to 10,000 grit bud.
I got my 2000 at walmart actually. Its made by 3m. Just know that the higher you go up in grits like 1000 and above, then the paper gets more expensive. My projects that do not require a smooth finish like, my custom mando, are rough around the edges, etc. But if you want a professional finish, then it would be best to sand until you turn blue and pass out haha.
For such a nice scratchbuild you have made, it is worth it to sand that much.
looks really good:thumbup
Sorry gang, I have come under hte weather this weekend and have postponed any Boba work for now. Just for informational purposes though, I decided to take a couple of close up pics of the rough areas that I had mentioned in previous entries so that others can see what I am talking about and hopefully avoid these pitfalls. So, here you are! If you have had these spots as well, let me know.
If you are still looking for 2000 grit paper try the automotive section at Wal-mart or an auto parts store. If Wally World doesn't have it a parts store will.
I think everyone has had those spots when working with bondo. Unless after the bondo cured, they painstaikingly sanded with 10,000 grit. haha.