Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Wolfi's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    107
    Oct 28, 2008, 10:13 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #51

    Looks great so far! Can't wait to see the progress...
  2. kebh020727's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    130
    Oct 29, 2008, 4:48 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #52

    Well, here goes...In these photos I show the reworked ear pieces and what they looked like after sparying them with a dark grey primer paint. I will sand them to smooth them out more (I purchased 1000 grit sandpaper for final painting) and then if I really like them and how they turned out, I will cast them with a casting kit I had bought about a month ago (yeah, I got a little behind on things!). I added more bondo to the cheeks and the spots where the ear pieces mount to the sides of the lid. This was needed to correct a minor alignment issue with the right side. Again, smoothing and sanding, sanding and smoothing to get it to my liking. I mentioned it before, the reason I want this to be as close to perfect as I can is so I can mold the helmet and cast it for a one piece - if that works, maybe I will share! Finally, as promised, I took a photo with a ruler from base to top, it appears to be a little under 10". Is that a correct size? did I make a monumental mistake??

    Enjoy,
    Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02978_resize.JPG 
Views:	292 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	28677   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02980_resize.JPG 
Views:	279 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	28678   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02986_resize.JPG 
Views:	298 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	28679  

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02987_resize.JPG 
Views:	295 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	28680   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02988_resize.JPG 
Views:	281 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	28681   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02989_resize.JPG 
Views:	329 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	28682  

  3. ivansith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    93
    Nov 1, 2008, 11:14 AM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #53

    Nice work
  4. adonian's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,882
    Nov 1, 2008, 4:06 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #54

    you're makin' me drool... cant wait to see it 100% 1 day i will post when I start mine. I have Alan's templates and I'm gonna do the trash can armor first I think, then the bucket since I think it's the hardest (and most important) part.
  5. kebh020727's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    130
    Nov 2, 2008, 8:44 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #55

    Thanks, always appreciated!!

    This weekend I was fairly busy getting some work done. I sanded quite a bit and was able to get a smooth finish for once. I had to remove the last bit of Bondo that I had added. I liked how it came out, so.....I decided to hit it with my first coat of primer. Now keep in mind that I still have quite a few steps before finalizing things (key holes, stalk and view finder stalk mount, as well as cutting out the visor - which will happen after I reinforce the inside of the helmet with some resin and fiberglass). So, yeah, still a lot to do. In any event, here you go!

    Enoy,
    Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02994 resize.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	28828   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02995 Resize.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	28829   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02996 Resize.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	28830  

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02998Resize.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	28831   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03000Resize.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	28832   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02997 Resize.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	28833  

  6. I helped at SDCC '08 987654321a's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    760
    Nov 2, 2008, 10:20 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #56

    Wow! That has come along well. It is so nice man. Great job!
  7. kebh020727's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    130
    Nov 3, 2008, 8:56 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #57

    Thanks very much!
  8. kebh020727's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    130
    Nov 3, 2008, 9:02 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #58

    I have run into something though that I am hoping someone else may have also and has a solution. I noticed that the primer does not mix well with the Bondo? In spots, like the cheeks for instance, there is Bondo and then Sintra in the same area. The Bondo is not really thick here because it was sanded down. But, the primer I used really brings out the Bondo areas a little more than I wanted it to. Will this go away when I actually get to painting? Or did I not sand it enough? Was there some kind of sealer I should have used? Also, I have a lot of small streaks from the sandpaper I used, I thought I had eliminated them with finer grits of sandpaper, but again, the primer really brings it out. Is this something that I need to sand again until they are gone or is there some kind of sealer that can be used to smooth things out more??

    Any help is greatly appreciated, especially since I am so close to the end!!

    Thanks,
    Eric
  9. Strife's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    101
    Nov 3, 2008, 9:49 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #59

    Excellent job mate. I love the work on this helm. I can honestly say that you helped me out. My first helm looked good, but it wasn't very durable...just seeing some of the technique used (via pictures) really helped me out.

    Awesome thread.
  10. llogwalker's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    76
    Nov 4, 2008, 3:31 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #60

    WOW! great job so far....I think I need to start over on mine now!
  11. Nov 4, 2008, 3:48 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #61

    Quote kebh020727 said: View Post
    I have run into something though that I am hoping someone else may have also and has a solution. I noticed that the primer does not mix well with the Bondo? In spots, like the cheeks for instance, there is Bondo and then Sintra in the same area. The Bondo is not really thick here because it was sanded down. But, the primer I used really brings out the Bondo areas a little more than I wanted it to. Will this go away when I actually get to painting? Or did I not sand it enough? Was there some kind of sealer I should have used? Also, I have a lot of small streaks from the sandpaper I used, I thought I had eliminated them with finer grits of sandpaper, but again, the primer really brings it out. Is this something that I need to sand again until they are gone or is there some kind of sealer that can be used to smooth things out more??

    Any help is greatly appreciated, especially since I am so close to the end!!


    Thanks,
    Eric
    are you saying that the line where the sintra and bondo meet is showing too much? if so, i think that adding a little more bondo in a thin layer over the whole cheek and sanding it smooth will eliminate that problem. i use a spatula, or credit card to put a thin layer over the whole area that needs fixing... if that's not what you want to do, you could just keep working that line by adding a very little bit of bondo over it sanding and repeating until it goes away... working it from its source to the opposite edge.
    i think that there's no way to get away from a little more sanding on this project. same with the other problem. more sanding can only help it to look better.
    other than what you're stating it looks pretty darn good from where i'm sitting.
    good job!!!!!
  12. Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    42
    Nov 4, 2008, 4:28 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #62

    Where does one find stencils of the Fett helmet?
  13. I helped at SDCC '08 987654321a's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    760
    Nov 4, 2008, 7:59 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #63

    I think he is saying the roughness of the bondo and sintra is showing through. Here is my suggestion. Sand until you turn blue. Go with 220 first to get the bumps out, move up to 400 and sand that sucker down like you have never sanded before. Then go up to 600, and to finish things off, primer it, wet sand it with 2000 grit, primer it again, feel it for any bumps, wet sand it again. Repeat the wet sanding process if you still can feel tiny imperfections and micro-bumps. When you are all done, primer it up again and start painting.

    Just remember that if you want a really smooth finish on your helmet, then IMO sanding is the most crucial key and you should take the most time sanding it down to get it smooth!
  14. kebh020727's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    130
    Nov 4, 2008, 9:56 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #64

    Quote Dream Inspired said: View Post
    are you saying that the line where the sintra and bondo meet is showing too much? if so, i think that adding a little more bondo in a thin layer over the whole cheek and sanding it smooth will eliminate that problem. i use a spatula, or credit card to put a thin layer over the whole area that needs fixing... if that's not what you want to do, you could just keep working that line by adding a very little bit of bondo over it sanding and repeating until it goes away... working it from its source to the opposite edge.
    i think that there's no way to get away from a little more sanding on this project. same with the other problem. more sanding can only help it to look better.
    other than what you're stating it looks pretty darn good from where i'm sitting.
    good job!!!!!
    You know, that was what I was afraid of, that I would have to use more Bondo and keep sanding, but hey, if I want it to look as real as I can, I have to do what I have to do! Well, you can be assured that there will be more photos and tutorial to go along so that anyone else that has the inspiration to create their own lid, they will see first hand that Bondo and sanding are a Boba crafters best friend!!
  15. kebh020727's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    130
    Nov 4, 2008, 9:57 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #65

    Quote Dream Inspired said: View Post
    are you saying that the line where the sintra and bondo meet is showing too much? if so, i think that adding a little more bondo in a thin layer over the whole cheek and sanding it smooth will eliminate that problem. i use a spatula, or credit card to put a thin layer over the whole area that needs fixing... if that's not what you want to do, you could just keep working that line by adding a very little bit of bondo over it sanding and repeating until it goes away... working it from its source to the opposite edge.
    i think that there's no way to get away from a little more sanding on this project. same with the other problem. more sanding can only help it to look better.
    other than what you're stating it looks pretty darn good from where i'm sitting.
    good job!!!!!
    You know, that was what I was afraid of, that I would have to use more Bondo and keep sanding, but hey, if I want it to look as real as I can, I have to do what I have to do! Well, you can be assured that there will be more photos and tutorial to go along so that anyone else that has the inspiration to create their own lid, they will see first hand that Bondo and sanding are a Boba crafters best friend!! If anyone has used any other sealer/smoother, please let me know.

    Thanks,
    Eric
  16. kebh020727's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    130
    Nov 4, 2008, 10:01 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #66

    Quote 987654321a said: View Post
    I think he is saying the roughness of the bondo and sintra is showing through. Here is my suggestion. Sand until you turn blue. Go with 220 first to get the bumps out, move up to 400 and sand that sucker down like you have never sanded before. Then go up to 600, and to finish things off, primer it, wet sand it with 2000 grit, primer it again, feel it for any bumps, wet sand it again. Repeat the wet sanding process if you still can feel tiny imperfections and micro-bumps. When you are all done, primer it up again and start painting.

    Just remember that if you want a really smooth finish on your helmet, then IMO sanding is the most crucial key and you should take the most time sanding it down to get it smooth!

    That seems to really be the truth to this scratch building, sanding, sanding and hey - more sanding! I found some 1000 grit paper at a local hobby store, but 2000? I have not seen that high, did you purchase on line or at a local shop? I am hoping that I have not applied the first primer coat too soon, all the sanding that I have to do is going to be difficult from the primer paint "gumming" up the sandpaper. But yes, sounds like my work is still far from over!
  17. kebh020727's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    130
    Nov 4, 2008, 10:03 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #67

    Quote Iron Forge said: View Post
    Where does one find stencils of the Fett helmet?
    Welcome, you will want to check out the TDH Wiki for all your tutorial/template needs! Have Fun!
  18. Nov 4, 2008, 10:12 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #68

    Quote 987654321a said: View Post
    I think he is saying the roughness of the bondo and sintra is showing through. Here is my suggestion. Sand until you turn blue. Go with 220 first to get the bumps out, move up to 400 and sand that sucker down like you have never sanded before. Then go up to 600, and to finish things off, primer it, wet sand it with 2000 grit, primer it again, feel it for any bumps, wet sand it again. Repeat the wet sanding process if you still can feel tiny imperfections and micro-bumps. When you are all done, primer it up again and start painting.

    Just remember that if you want a really smooth finish on your helmet, then IMO sanding is the most crucial key and you should take the most time sanding it down to get it smooth!
    this is good advice right here.wet sanding is what you want to be doing towards the end to give it that finished smooth, wasn't done with sandpaper look.

    and yes, sanding sucks but it is what seperates us from the cavemen!!!
    now get to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  19. kebh020727's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    130
    Nov 5, 2008, 5:08 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #69

    Quote Dream Inspired said: View Post
    this is good advice right here.wet sanding is what you want to be doing towards the end to give it that finished smooth, wasn't done with sandpaper look.

    and yes, sanding sucks but it is what seperates us from the cavemen!!!
    now get to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Will Do!! Oh happy day!!! Sanding!!
  20. kebh020727's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    130
    Nov 5, 2008, 5:08 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #70

    Quote Dream Inspired said: View Post
    this is good advice right here.wet sanding is what you want to be doing towards the end to give it that finished smooth, wasn't done with sandpaper look.

    and yes, sanding sucks but it is what seperates us from the cavemen!!!
    now get to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Will Do!! Oh happy day!!! Sanding!! But hey, all for a smooth Boba then!8)
  21. I helped at SDCC '08 987654321a's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    760
    Nov 5, 2008, 5:44 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #71

    I have up to 10,000 grit bud.

    I got my 2000 at walmart actually. Its made by 3m. Just know that the higher you go up in grits like 1000 and above, then the paper gets more expensive. My projects that do not require a smooth finish like, my custom mando, are rough around the edges, etc. But if you want a professional finish, then it would be best to sand until you turn blue and pass out haha.

    For such a nice scratchbuild you have made, it is worth it to sand that much.
  22. Member Since
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    43
    Nov 5, 2008, 8:44 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #72

    looks really good:thumbup
  23. kebh020727's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    130
    Nov 9, 2008, 9:59 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #73

    Sorry gang, I have come under hte weather this weekend and have postponed any Boba work for now. Just for informational purposes though, I decided to take a couple of close up pics of the rough areas that I had mentioned in previous entries so that others can see what I am talking about and hopefully avoid these pitfalls. So, here you are! If you have had these spots as well, let me know.

    Thanks,
    Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03001-resize.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	29033   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03002-resize.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	29034   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03004-resize.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	29035  

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03005-resize.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	29036  
  24. t_bone9600's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    856
    Nov 9, 2008, 11:06 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #74

    If you are still looking for 2000 grit paper try the automotive section at Wal-mart or an auto parts store. If Wally World doesn't have it a parts store will.
  25. I helped at SDCC '08 987654321a's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    760
    Nov 10, 2008, 12:38 AM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #75

    I think everyone has had those spots when working with bondo. Unless after the bondo cured, they painstaikingly sanded with 10,000 grit. haha.

Similar Threads

  1. Scratch Build Helmet
    By Jango 425 in forum Expanded Universe Bounty Hunters
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Jan 6, 2010, 11:58 AM
  2. Helmet from scratch..
    By HuntressTane in forum Expanded Universe Bounty Hunters
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Aug 1, 2006, 11:15 AM
  3. Scratch built helmet
    By BestBountyHunter???? in forum Boba Fett Helmet
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Jan 26, 2006, 9:47 PM
  4. Helmet From Scratch
    By Son of Knight in forum Prop Building Workshop
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jul 17, 2005, 8:49 PM
  5. Beginning a helmet from scratch
    By AoErat in forum Boba Fett Helmet
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: Jan 6, 2003, 11:07 PM