Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
    Sep 21, 2008, 10:15 AM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #26

Hi Brent, that is actually eight pieces of 2mm Sintra to form the "upright" and angled edge (one whole piece and then trimmed and sanded to form the angle), then it was glued onto another 2mm piece as the base of the lower ear cap piece.
    Sep 21, 2008, 10:20 AM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #27

You got some crazy skillz dude! This is a treat to spectate! Keep it coming

Peter

"With great power comes great responsibility"
  3. Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Sep 21, 2008, 11:25 AM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #28

I'm definitely going with Sintra. I'll have to get some foam board as well now.

Going to follow this thread and Antman's. This Forum has changed my life forever...
    Sep 21, 2008, 3:14 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #29

Hey Brent, your question prompted me to take a look at my lower ear cap again and I noticed that I needed to add another 2mm layer to it. I do not know if that was the intent of your question, but thanks for getting me to look at it again!

Eric
    Sep 21, 2008, 9:03 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #30

OKay, today was a busy day so I was not able to get as much done as I had wanted; however, I was able to add one layer to the back of my lower ear piece and complete initial construction of the left ear piece. I blocked together five pieces of Sintra and tomorrow I will widdle away and do some more sanding to create the angle of the lower ear piece. These pieces will actually need a little refinement (in my opinion) before they are attached to the helmet. I am also debating about casting the lid and whether I should cast it with the ear caps on or off. I am also debating before attaching them whether I should make a mold of them as well, depending on the final result! Enjoy the photos, any comments or thoughts on today's post, let me know!

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc02950_resize-jpg   dsc02951_resize-jpg  
  6. Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Sep 21, 2008, 10:58 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #31

My question about the Sintra layers was only for my benefit once I get to this step... I am no where near there yet but thought it would be good to know when that happens.

I have no idea what order you should do with the helmet and the ear pieces... I hope it goes well for you and you dont wreck your ears. Maybe just use your Sintra ears for a mold... I want to see how you mold these things in photos.

Good luck!
    Sep 25, 2008, 7:37 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #32

Sorry gang, not much time the last couple of days for scratch building. I was only able to get a couple of things done. I whittled down the left ear cap piece for the proper angle, however I found some imperfections. SO, same as I am going to do with the other two pieces, I need to Bondo them and then sand them into a perfect shape before priming and finally casting a mold. This week I purchased a kit by Allumilite for molding and casting small items (such as ear caps!) - $70, at a local hobby shop here in CT -. I will either add that to this thread or make a new one once I get to it. But, after the weekend, I am working at a local University (Wesleyan) and I may have an opportunity to use some of their shop machines to sand, cut etc. for professional looking results!! COOL!!

More to come soon!
    Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc02952_resize-jpg  
    Sep 25, 2008, 8:36 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #33

Your making great progress with this. I've used W.O.F's templates for my sintra bucket. They are so good and the finish was so tight that I've ended up casting it in UPVC resin. Do you intend to cast it? Or is it just going to be a one off? Either way, The use of a cycle helmet for the dome seems to be a good idea, as to make the dome out of 3mm sintra, sand it to shape, blather it in bondo and sand, sand and sand again was a S.O.B to do. Looking forward to see how this turns out
    Sep 25, 2008, 9:11 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #34

Thanks, appreciate the comments! My goal is to cast it. I need to learn more about doing it though before I get to that point. I have watched a lot of you tube vids and seen multiple web sites on it, but I have not seen someone go from mold to cast in one complete shot. SO, naturally I have a lot of questions. There was a great video on making the 300 helmet, but there was no video I saw on making the actual mold and how to get to the point of casting the helmet. So, I have a lot to learn still. But, yes, that is the ultimate plan. Then, hopefully as I continue with the rest of the costume, I can mold and cast multiple pieces!

Eric
    Sep 25, 2008, 9:34 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #35

those ear caps look awsome. if you do make casts of the ear caps i would be interested in buying some....i am new here and was wondering where you guys get all the sintra from i can't semm to find any.
    Sep 26, 2008, 3:04 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #36

I picked mine up at a sign shop called FastSigns here in CT. I am not sure if they have locations in Alabama, but, you can get Sintra at just about any sign shop I believe. It can get pricey though depending upon the thickness. I purchased a 2mm 4' X 8' sheet for $65. and so far I have used a little less than half so far. The Jet Pack will use a lot, I am sure.
    Sep 27, 2008, 1:35 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #37

Okay, today I decided that it is time to get back to correcting the helmet in preparation for adding a strengthening layer of fiberglass to the inside of the helmet. To do this I need to add the craft ring into the lid. I purchased a 10" and a 12" ring and decided to hack up and slightly bend the 12" into place and see how that works. In the photos that I have, I took before and after so that you can see if there is a difference. Once I have eliminated the irregular shape, I will then hot glue the ring into place and then add the fiberglass.

E
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc02953_resize-jpg   dsc02954_resize-jpg   dsc02955_resize-jpg  

dsc02956_resize-jpg  
    Sep 27, 2008, 5:14 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #38

craft ring?
    never seen one before, is it basically a metal band?
    where did you get them?

ty
    -Mad
    Sep 27, 2008, 8:33 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #39

I bought it at a local craft store here in the US. Called Joanne's Fabric. It is called a craft ring (from what I was told). Some people use them to make "Dreamcatchers". It is a brass ring basically. The tag on the ring gives a web address of www.darice.com. A company from Ohio. The item number on the tag is #17158. Hope that helps!

E
    Sep 27, 2008, 9:16 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #40

its coming out really good
    Sep 28, 2008, 1:33 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #41

Today was a Bondo day. I needed to catch up on adding the ear pieces to a solid surface as well as patching up some rough areas on the front as well as the back, and of course the ear pieces themselves. Now I can sand them to perfection! I basically added some bondo under an earpiece and then removed it. I later added more and leveled it out some so that when I am ready, I will attach the ear caps to a level area. My intent with the ear cap for the rangefinder was to try the same approach, but it would not come off and so, I am stuck with it being attached! Which is okay, I kind of like it. However, this may cause a major problem when I try to mold and then cast my helmet later. So, then next challenge is sanding and lots of it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc02958_resize-jpg   dsc02959_resize-jpg   dsc02960_resize-jpg  

dsc02962_resize-jpg   dsc02963_resize-jpg   dsc02964_resize-jpg  

dsc02965_resize-jpg  
    Oct 4, 2008, 9:41 AM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #42

Okay, ran into some trouble and had to take evasive action. THe ear pieces on the right side did not line up correctly after my "accident" by leaving the upper piece attached to the Bondo for too long. So, I have had to cut it off using a coping saw, and now I will have to add some expoxy putty to the sides to make a correct alignment in preperation for attachment. But, before I do, I will now have to remake one piece of the ear cap since I had to cut it off. Which is okay since I am going to make resin copies of the ear pieces before I attach them. This also works out well since I am planning to make a mold of the helmet before attaching them also. I did some research this wek at a local arts supply store and found the info I need to make a mother mold of my helmet. Once I get there, I will most definitely add that to the thread so people can se how I did it and any mistakes or pitfalls I created that can be avoided! More to come as the weeknd goes on.

E
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc02966_resize-jpg   dsc02967_resize-jpg   dsc02968_resize-jpg  

dsc02969_resize-jpg   dsc02970_resize-jpg   dsc02971_resize-jpg  

Oct 10, 2008, 4:46 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #43

Well, sorry to those who follow this thread, I have been very busy these days instead of DEVOTING time to my Boba Lid. I have done some work on it when I can. This week so far, I have been able to sand down some spots where there was excess Bondo and it looks okay. I still want to do some more refinement on my ear pieces though before I mold and cast them. You'll see that on the left side, I added that thin layer of Bondo and sanded it flat so there was a more vertical look to the mounting of the ear piece. Then, I was able to cut off the other piece of the ear cap and sand that flat as well for more of a vertical look. I need to re-check the reference picks though for the lower ear piece to make sure I have that mount correct as well. But anywho, here is where I am at. Hopefully more to come this weekend!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc02972_resize-jpg   dsc02973_resize-jpg   dsc02974_resize-jpg  

dsc02975_resize-jpg  
    Oct 27, 2008, 7:48 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #44

My appologies to all who have been watching my thread with interest. I have been occupied recently with many things going on around here and I have not really devoted the time to building my lid. This weekend I tried to get some work done, I have found, as one other scratch builder here once stated, the ear cap pieces are really tricky to get them to line up and look just right. I have spent a lot of time looking at the reference pics and then trying to make adjustments; at times it can be truly frustrating. Maybe my distractions were welcome ones. At any rate, I will be posting more once again as the process comes along, I was able to coat the ear pieces with primer over the weekend and found some spots that need touching up, once that is done I will reveal them and my progress to all.

Eric
    Oct 27, 2008, 7:54 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #45

Looking Great! Keep at it!

Alan
    Oct 28, 2008, 3:00 AM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #46

Wow, you're doing an amazing job so far! The helmet looks sweet!
    Oct 28, 2008, 4:22 AM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #47

Great job Eric!

I am curious how it works out afterwards. Your bucket seems to be big ... what are the measures of it?

Manuel
    Oct 28, 2008, 6:27 AM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #48

I somehow missed this thread until now. This build is looking awesome.
    Oct 28, 2008, 8:23 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #49

Thanks to all for the fedback, it is really appreciated. Alan, if it weren't for your templates, I am not sure what my lid would look like at this point, so for the way it looks now, I have your hard work to thank! In regards to the size, I used the templates from Alan and when I printed them, I made sure that the scale was correct before cutting them out. I guess I could take a photo with the lid next to a ruler for scale and then determine if the size is correct or not. I will post the photos tomorrow!

Eric
    Oct 28, 2008, 8:29 PM - Re: New Scratch Helmet #50

This is shaping up really nicely! I can't wait to see it in primer!

-C