Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

New Helmet Templates WIP.

From
    Murrieta CA

Re: New Helmet Templates WIP.

Thanks for the info Guys I will give it a shot.

From
    Limerick, Ireland

Edited for consistency & housekeeping
    Last edited by mckenic; Aug 2, 2008 at 6:37 PM.

From
    Wales, UK

You're welcome buddy! Though you could have posted these in my Boushh thread instead of the Fett one. Still, not to worry.

It's looking good bro. I can see a few areas that may be mistakes or areas that need a little more shaping but overall you've done a great job. Thanks for letting me see it.

From
    Twentynine Palms, CA

Excellent work, SPC! Amazing, really. I'm going to use this for my bucket, i think. What do you suggest is the best medium to use for this? Obvious regular 8.5x11 paper is far too thin, but I don't think something thicker like photo paper would work well with resin, fiberglass, or bondo.

From
    Central Michigan University, MI

samlynn79 said: View Post
    Excellent work, SPC! Amazing, really. I'm going to use this for my bucket, i think. What do you suggest is the best medium to use for this? Obvious regular 8.5x11 paper is far too thin, but I don't think something thicker like photo paper would work well with resin, fiberglass, or bondo.
    Stepping in for a moment, as I have been researching all this stuff for a long while due to interest in Halo helmets, Fett, and Daft Punk... The general answer for this is "card stock". Card stock, however, comes in a variety of thicknesses, just like normal paper, and can also be bought in various sizes.

For my Daft Punk helmet I am working on, I am using 110lb cardstock, sized at 8.5"x11". I got 100 sheets or so in a package at Walmart for about $5. This should be more than enough for a few helmets.

I've also heard -- but not seen -- of cardstock in the 130lb weight range (!!!) and in A4 sizings. Again, heard, not seen. I wonder if the 130lb weight would jam a printer...

In any case, with careful folding, and plenty of careful work after the assembly (resin coat, fiberglasing, bondo'ing, etc) you should come away with a good helmet using 110lb card stock.

From
    Wales, UK

Thanks very much samlynn. I appreciate the compliments.

For the build of this, you can use regular cardstock. Once you have it put together, give it a coat or two of resin. This won't make the card helmet super strong, but it will strengthen it and help when you come to add the fibreglass on the inside of the helmet. Work carefully and make sure there are no bubbles when 'glassing.

I was a big skeptic when I first found this technique over at the 405th. I'm happy to say that it works really well. The fibreglassed card helmet becomes very strong. There was a video on youtube a while back of a guy standing on his glassed helmet and it didn't crumple! Then the bondo or filleris used to just smooth it all out and add some definition to the edges and contours of the helmet.

That said...

...I'm building my own bucket from my templates. For mine I wanted a stronger base to begin with to I laminated all of my sheets (except the dome parts)to thicker cardboard, 1mm thick. The helmet was still easy to make and the thicker card will help against warping or accidental damage before the fibreglass is added. To ensure a more stable model prior to glassing, I even triple laminated the flat plates inside the mandables.

It's looking really good so far IMO and hopefully will become a nice lid when I'm done.

From
    Wales, UK

I thought I'd post these here as well as my Custom thread. This won't be a Fett lid but it was built using my templates.

I improvised alot here as I wanted to use thicker card for it to form a tougher base. I pretty much explained it in my last post I think. Anyway, here are the pics:

dsc00204s-jpg

dsc00208s-jpg

From
    Twentynine Palms, CA

Is this "card stock" something that can be found at, say, Staples, or Office Depot?

From
    UK

samlynn79 said: View Post
    Is this "card stock" something that can be found at, say, Staples, or Office Depot?
    Yeah this is card stock... you should find it at 'Staples' easy...

Hey Skip - So where is that extra pic you sent me with the custom 'tongue' shot?

From
    Seattle, WA

Your templates make me want to play with maya again lol.

Just a question out of curiousity though, what got you into the whole paper modeling thing? I've found this alll to be pretty intersting and I'm just curious as to what got you interested in it.

From
    Wales, UK

Well, it goes back a long way. I was looking for a model kit online, my Google search brought a result for a papermodelling website. I had a look and was amazed by what you could do with paper. The models there were amazing! So I got hooked.

For the last few years I've been designing card models. Things like the BumbleBee Camaro, X-Jet, Star Trek and Star Wars ships, loads of things really. I was a member of costuming forums but never had the space to start any work myself. Then earlier this year I moved into a new house with a garage(and no car to put in it) and found the 405th, I discovered how they're using papermodel design to create Master Chief armor. I'd always wanted to get into costuming but never had the funds to buy anything outright so knew I'd have to make my own. So this merging of papermodel design and costume prop making instantly appealed to me.

So now I use what I know to design templates for armor and helmets for myself and others to enjoy. Models are cool to have and to display but they just sit there. With something like this it can be worn to cons and events, you can just get more out of it.

There's more to the story but that's the main jist of it.

Mojo, you mean this one?
    dsc00207s-jpg

From
    UK

Skupilkinson said: View Post
    Mojo, you mean this one?
    dsc00207s-jpg
    Yup....
    Looks like a Turkish headdress or something...

From
    Wales, UK

LOL! I see what ya mean now. Look kind of like a Mando/Turkish armored belly dancer with those clips hanging down! Well, those clips are off now.

I'm just glueing in my card visor place holder. It'll keep the front in shape while I fibreglass it. Then I'll cut it out again when I'm done.

From
    Horten, Norway

Hey Skup.
    You would'nt happen to have the keyslots on the back of the helmet in a pattern somewhere?

From
    Wales, UK

I'm afraid not. I didn't include the actual slots in my templates, I was thinking of making the templates more customisable for custom Mandos.

Though the WOF templates have them included if that helps?

From
    Horten, Norway

Skupilkinson said: View Post
    I'm afraid not. I didn't include the actual slots in my templates, I was thinking of making the templates more customisable for custom Mandos.

Though the WOF templates have them included if that helps?
    Hey
    Good idea. Why did'nt i think of that
    I'll give it a shot.
    Thanks.

From
    Wales, UK

Happy to help.

Hey, I just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the templates.

I've been using pepakura for a bit and i'm very impressed with it, so much that I purchased it.

I'm wondering if you've tried making your models with wings3d?

link: http://www.wings3d.com/

It's a very simple and free to use, I've used many modelers ( Milkshape, AutoCad, Mechanical Desktop, Solidworks, Blender, Alibre, etc...) and Wings3d is always the easiest...and it saves/exports in many different formats.

Anyhoo, thanks again for the templates.

From
    Wales, UK

I use Metasequoia. I find it superior to other programs for this sort of thing, easier to use for a start. I've tried Wings3D but never got on with the interface.

Anyway, thanks for the "Thanks".

From
    Essex

hey skip these are awsome but im having a bit of trouble printing them out i just keep geting black sheets of card :S any help

From
    Wales, UK

I'd say you have a printer problem bro as I've printed these myself and had no such trouble.

From
    Essex

i know lol that but i was wondering if anyone had the same problem and if they fixed it :/ might have to find another way around this problem

I have that problem if I check "print color as black" in my acrobat reader printer settings.

From
    Essex

do you know how to fix it ? each time i print it through the pep programe just black pages

From
    Long Beach,CA

Thank you Skupilkinson, I just printed these out and had no problem. I can't wait to make time to start working my new project. Again many thanks.