Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Subscribe
    Apr 20, 2012, 1:43 AM - Re: NEW DP 95 WIP #101

Looks good so far!
    Apr 20, 2012, 1:16 PM - Re: NEW DP 95 WIP #102

Looks good bro now get some lark gray on that bad boy.
    Apr 21, 2012, 4:53 PM - Re: NEW DP 95 WIP #103

Amazing work ! can't stand to see next steps
    Apr 21, 2012, 8:31 PM - Re: NEW DP 95 WIP #104

Thanks guys...Gonna work on masking some more silver this evening
    Apr 23, 2012, 9:59 AM - Re: NEW DP 95 WIP #105

Alright guys- Finished masking the silver and layed the lark grey. Here are some shots in the natural light. Next, the 1943 then kill stripes

6. Apr 23, 2012, 11:11 AM - Re: NEW DP 95 WIP #106

Awesome!!!
    Apr 23, 2012, 12:40 PM - Re: NEW DP 95 WIP #107

Dynamic- Thanks for the in depth pics! I'm new to all this and recently acquired a lid (my 1st purchase) off the bay for a whopping $20. Figured even if it was junk it would be a great test piece. Through my research, I think it's a DP 96 that some one started on. They filled in the print on the back and primed it grey, so I'm not sure. I have been tormented by which way to paint, topical or layered and your pics and posts have given me the confidence to do attempt a layered application. Keep up the great work! You're an inspiration for us newbies!
  8. Apr 23, 2012, 12:51 PM - Re: NEW DP 95 WIP #108

Dechels - Welcome to TDH! Dynamic will be a great resource for you and your paint-up, as will many other talented individuals here. He (Dynamic) has really established himself as an AWESOME painter in the past several months.

Good luck with your first lid. If you catch the bug (as we all have) I'm sure there will be MANY MORE in your future!!
    Apr 23, 2012, 3:28 PM - Re: NEW DP 95 WIP #109

OBrother- I'm sure I will. It seems like I scourer the boards non stop in my spare time, or not so spare ... I'm finally ready to get my feet wet on a lid. Can anyone here point me in the right direction for the masking fluid? I went to Hobby Lobby at lunch and wasn't quite sure what I'm looking for. I think I saw that someone used tooth paste? Does this work?
    Apr 23, 2012, 4:30 PM - #110

Quote dechels said: View Post
    OBrother- I'm sure I will. It seems like I scourer the boards non stop in my spare time, or not so spare ... I'm finally ready to get my feet wet on a lid. Can anyone here point me in the right direction for the masking fluid? I went to Hobby Lobby at lunch and wasn't quite sure what I'm looking for. I think I saw that someone used tooth paste? Does this work?
    Hey Dechels-thanks so much for your very kind words! Doesnt hurt to have deadland in your backyard as he has been a phenominal resource. For the detail your seeking i would go for "liquid frisket" brand as i have tried it all including mustard. Used toothpaste on my lil guys armor which was ok but the fluid is much better for that level of detail. Keep me posted as i look forward to your paint up!
    Quote Quote Posted from iOS app
    Apr 23, 2012, 4:31 PM - #111

Quote OBrotherRacing said: View Post
    Dechels - Welcome to TDH! Dynamic will be a great resource for you and your paint-up, as will many other talented individuals here. He (Dynamic) has really established himself as an AWESOME painter in the past several months.

Good luck with your first lid. If you catch the bug (as we all have) I'm sure there will be MANY MORE in your future!!
    Thank you sir!! Looking forward to that TK!
    Last edited by dynamic1; Apr 23, 2012 at 4:42 PM.
    Apr 23, 2012, 5:07 PM - Re: NEW DP 95 WIP #112

Thanks for the lead! I saw the "liquid frisket" and wasn't sure that was correct. I'll take pics of my progress and post them as soon as my "newbie" status is lifted! Thanks for the help. Curious what you used/ color for your visor?
    Apr 23, 2012, 5:49 PM - #113

Quote dechels said: View Post
    Thanks for the lead! I saw the "liquid frisket" and wasn't sure that was correct. I'll take pics of my progress and post them as soon as my "newbie" status is lifted! Thanks for the help. Curious what you used/ color for your visor?
    Hey buddy...just the standard green welding visor
  14. Member Since
    Feb 2012
    Apr 23, 2012, 11:19 PM - Re: NEW DP 95 WIP #114

Amazing job man, I'm just about done with my first ever painting job on a DP97, I know is a ****** helmet but think is the best way to practice your painting, specially when you have never done anything like this in your life, is nice to see it come alive...

Have a couple of rookie questions too:

1. How much do you wait after the masking dries to apply the next layer?

2.Do you help the drying process of the paint (hair dryer) or just let it dry by itself?

I realized 3 things about painting.... 1. I have no patience for letting stuff dry. 2. Not letting it dry properly can mess the masking.... and 3 I need to learn to use a stencil to have a more accurate damage design....

Keep up the great job and keep posting pics...
    Apr 24, 2012, 12:48 AM - Re: NEW DP 95 WIP #115

Quote pistolpete7408 said: View Post
    Amazing job man, I'm just about done with my first ever painting job on a DP97, I know is a ****** helmet but think is the best way to practice your painting, specially when you have never done anything like this in your life, is nice to see it come alive...

Have a couple of rookie questions too:

1. How much do you wait after the masking dries to apply the next layer?

2.Do you help the drying process of the paint (hair dryer) or just let it dry by itself?

I realized 3 things about painting.... 1. I have no patience for letting stuff dry. 2. Not letting it dry properly can mess the masking.... and 3 I need to learn to use a stencil to have a more accurate damage design....

Keep up the great job and keep posting pics...
    Hey Pete- Thanks buddy. Yes 1. ENORMOUS amount of patience 2. Ive painted 45min to an hour after masking, but no less. 3. At deadlands discression I wait a full 24 hours prior to moving forward w/ stenciling. Hope this helps as I definatley understand the learning curve...Take your time and study the heck out of the reference pics. I look forward to seeing your progress.
    B
    Apr 24, 2012, 3:34 AM - Re: NEW DP 95 WIP #116

Another for pistolpete if I may, for the stencils/accurate damage design- carbon paper works great for tracing your stencils onto the helmet.
    Apr 24, 2012, 3:35 AM - Re: NEW DP 95 WIP #117

And its looking great Dynamic!
    Apr 24, 2012, 9:09 AM - #118

Quote Armydad said: View Post
    And its looking great Dynamic!
    Thanks armydad!
  19. Member Since
    Feb 2012
    Apr 24, 2012, 11:58 AM - Re: NEW DP 95 WIP #119

Quote dynamic1 said: View Post
    Hey Pete- Thanks buddy. Yes 1. ENORMOUS amount of patience 2. Ive painted 45min to an hour after masking, but no less. 3. At deadlands discression I wait a full 24 hours prior to moving forward w/ stenciling. Hope this helps as I definatley understand the learning curve...Take your time and study the heck out of the reference pics. I look forward to seeing your progress.
    B
    Thanks B, I'm at the bottom of the curve but this is a fun hobbie and have enjoyed every part of it, yes even sanding... thanks I'll post some pics when I'm finished...

Another for pistolpete if I may, for the stencils/accurate damage design- carbon paper works great for tracing your stencils onto the helmet.
    Thanks armydad I will give it a shot on my next lid, I have another DP97 in line for practicing before my ASOK budget arrives....
    Apr 24, 2012, 12:02 PM - #120

Quote pistolpete7408 said: View Post
    Quote dynamic1 said: View Post
    B
    Thanks B, I'm at the bottom of the curve but this is a fun hobbie and have enjoyed every part of it, yes even sanding... thanks I'll post some pics when I'm finished...

Thanks armydad I will give it a shot on my next lid, I have another DP97 in line for practicing before my ASOK budget arrives....
    That asok fp budget is a beautiful lid man!
    Apr 24, 2012, 1:59 PM - Re: NEW DP 95 WIP #121

Dude, now that I can see those pics of yours on a bigger screen instead of on my phone all I have to say is WOW. That lid is looking fantastic and you should be proud, and just wait until you lay that green layer down and start removing the masking fluid from the cat scratch. I will tell you right now it is going to blow your mind. As always bro keep up the good work and I cannot wait to see this bad boy in person.
    Apr 24, 2012, 3:33 PM - Re: NEW DP 95 WIP #122

Quote deadland said: View Post
    Dude, now that I can see those pics of yours on a bigger screen instead of on my phone all I have to say is WOW. That lid is looking fantastic and you should be proud, and just wait until you lay that green layer down and start removing the masking fluid from the cat scratch. I will tell you right now it is going to blow your mind. As always bro keep up the good work and I cannot wait to see this bad boy in person.
    Thanks so much brutha!!! Gonna mask out the lark stencil tonight and hit green manana!
    Apr 24, 2012, 4:04 PM - Re: NEW DP 95 WIP #123

Impressive work! you're a talented painter!
    Apr 25, 2012, 12:35 AM - Re: NEW DP 95 WIP #124

Quote StrumFett said: View Post
    Impressive work! you're a talented painter!
    Thanks so much Strumfett....Just finished masking the dome so ill be laying the green tomorrow evening...next, the kill stripes
    Apr 25, 2012, 6:12 PM - Re: NEW DP 95 WIP #125

Ok guys- Rule number 1...When using a Pasche airbrush be sure to hold the paint bottle into the spicket

Last edited by dynamic1; Apr 27, 2012 at 12:13 AM.