Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

NEW DP 95 WIP

From
    Murrieta Ca.

NEW DP 95 WIP

Hey guys...well, after searching for a slightly smaller BF lid Asok supplied me w/ his super nice DP 95. From what I hear, not the most accurate but a piece of fett history to say the least. The size seems perfect for my frame as I am 5'9". Although it is cc I will probablly hit it w some metallic once Im finished sanding and priming (also used some body filler on some of the crevasis) as this baby needed some TLC . Anyhow, here are some prelim pics before this thing becomes my first ESB paintup...and first paintup w/ an airbrush.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dp951-jpg   dp952-jpg   dp953-jpg  

dp-sand1-jpg   dp-sand2-jpg   dp-sand3-jpg  

From
    Murrieta CA

Re: NEW DP 95 WIP

Looking good brother, it may not be accurate for wise but we will make it look accurate and then know one will be able to tell the difference. Well maybe some but the average person won't!!!!

From
    Murrieta Ca.

Ok...After some filler and sanding I hit this guy w/ the first coat of primer. I fig after a bit more filler and wet sanding this baby is ready for stenciling!

dp-primer2-jpgdp-primer3-jpgdp-primer1-jpg

keep us updated, working on my dp95 aswell

From
    Murrieta Ca.

Kcr7pr said: View Post
    keep us updated, working on my dp95 aswell
    Will do buddy.....just finishing the final prep work. Almost ready for the silver coat

From
    Murrieta Ca.

Hey guys- Met up w/ deadland and fett7 this evening for a little SW powow. Thanks to deadland I was able to get this airbrush thing going and slap down the silver layer as well as size Raf's back panel templates to 106% in order to match the DP95 size accordingly. This week I plan on cutting out and mounting the T-visor, followed by racking my brain w/ the silver stenciling. Wish me luck!

silver-base-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails silver-base-jpg  

From
    Galati, Romania

Good luck! I already want to see the next updates!

From
    Murrieta Ca.

Alright guys...had a little "learning tutorial" AKA mishap lol..Anyhow, after spending sometime w/ deadland and fett7 on Tuesday night in order to prep and hit the first coat of silver (above), I then proceeded to cut the visor section out (word of advice, do this prior to any painting). In doing so, I noticed that on the DP molds the visor section sits further back from the edges of the areas that surround. To make a long story short I ended up w/ some goudges...not too bad, but being the perfectionists that we all are, I decided to putty and chalked it up to recieving more experience w/ the mouse sander and airbrush. Below are some shots of the filling, sanding along w/ visor fitting. I needed to do a bit more work dremmeling down on the inside of the "T" as it seemed fairly thick. Another bit of advice from deadland (after the fact ) was to cover the surrounding areas w electrical tape prior to trimming out the visor in order to prevent this LOL! This eveining, after some wet sanding, im going to primer then mount the visor sometime tomorrow. Stay tuned...

redo1-jpg redo2-jpg thick-zygomatic-jpg

From
    Murrieta CA

Looking good bro now get some primer on it and then hit it with some silver already. I figured you would be half way done by now.

From
    Murrieta Ca.

deadland said: View Post
    Looking good bro now get some primer on it and then hit it with some silver already. I figured you would be half way done by now.
    LMAO!!!....Gonna hit silver tomorrow night after I mount and tape off the Visor. Ill be completely done by next week

From
    Perth, Western Australia

See how you go with the silver, but I found doing ESB, it was actually well worth doing the base colour after the primer, but before the silver layer. For me, I used Terminal Fettlers example, and also used Humbrol enamels, so for this colour, I used Humbrol light grey 147 (of course, this colour may change depending on the brand of paint you will be using through your airbrush). I only mention this as there are MANY of these light grey highlights throughout the helmet (Rafs stencils point these out beautifully), and it seems easier to mask out these small areas first. Ultimately, it will depend just how pedantic you want to be about it, and you can always add them down the track topically later if you feel it needs it. In any case, looking great mate, keep the progress shots coming!

From
    Murrieta Ca.

Jayvee said: View Post
    See how you go with the silver, but I found doing ESB, it was actually well worth doing the base colour after the primer, but before the silver layer. For me, I used Terminal Fettlers example, and also used Humbrol enamels, so for this colour, I used Humbrol light grey 147 (of course, this colour may change depending on the brand of paint you will be using through your airbrush). I only mention this as there are MANY of these light grey highlights throughout the helmet (Rafs stencils point these out beautifully), and it seems easier to mask out these small areas first. Ultimately, it will depend just how pedantic you want to be about it, and you can always add them down the track topically later if you feel it needs it. In any case, looking great mate, keep the progress shots coming!
    Hey Jayvee...You know deadland did mention this as well! Looks like im going base metal first! Thank you bud

From
    Perth, Western Australia

very welcome mate. See, the little hiccup you had where you had to re apply the silver worked out beautifully brother!

From
    Murrieta Ca.

Sure did..thanks buddy!!! Keep checkin in on me ill need the guidance

From
    Murrieta Ca.

And away we go!...OK guys, layed the base metal color (LB RLM 76), stenciled it, and masked this out. Tonight is a late night for me at work so I may or may not get to hit the silver but ill try. As deadland said to me.."now the real fun begins LOL".

Last edited by dynamic1; Mar 17, 2012 at 10:56 PM.

From
    Murrieta CA

Dude that's not SP Lark Dark Gray that is Lichtblau RLM 76. Cause if that is SP Lark Dark Gray it is way to light!!! Just giving you S@#t bro keep up the god work, and it is never to late in the night to work on Fett.

From
    Murrieta Ca.

Got some more work done at lunch guys! That silver masking was a B _ _ CH! Low and behold the SP dark lark grey I was missing showed up on my door step as well so Ill be laying that down tonight!

Last edited by dynamic1; Mar 17, 2012 at 10:43 PM.

From
    Galati, Romania

It looks good! I might say that with the finish of the black plates the rest of the helmet will be a piece-of-cake... But I won't say it, because it isn't!

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

In your rush for paint you have forgotten to add the physical damage to the helmet...there are gouges that need to be there.

From
    Murrieta Ca.

Fett 4 Real said: View Post
    In your rush for paint you have forgotten to add the physical damage to the helmet...there are gouges that need to be there.
    Yep, I figured I would do it after...I dont plan on this being my last one as I will get a more acurate lid in the future, maybe a GMH : )? Thanks Fett and I look forward to your input throughout man!
    B

From
    Murrieta Ca.

RafalFett said: View Post
    It looks good! I might say that with the finish of the black plates the rest of the helmet will be a piece-of-cake... But I won't say it, because it isn't!
    LOL...thanks! Yes, I am already going crazy. Although once I get going along w/ some espresso its very euphoric

From
    Murrieta Ca.

Alright- Heres an update guys. Layed the concrete, stenciled and masked (not my favorite layer) and am going to hit the RLM at lunch this afternoon.

Let me know what you guys think so far!?
    B

From
    Galati, Romania

It looks good to me!

From
    Murrieta Ca.

RafalFett said: View Post
    It looks good to me!
    Thanks Raf!

From
    Murrieta CA

Looking good bro can't wait to see this thing up close and personal. Man that sure is a lot of masking fluid!!!