Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

New batting helmet bucket

Re: New batting helmet bucket

Wow! Thats amazing, that has really given me the inspiration and motivation to make my own scratch build.

Keep up the great work!

From
    Utah

NICE JOB!

My bucket goes off to those who scratch build.

From
    Perryville, MO

Just checking to see if anyone knew the answer to my MQ1 casting question I posted earlier. Would like to start the mount for it but need to know if I need to cut down my casting or not.

From
    Corbin, Ky

Just use the top portion of the MQ1. I cover the lower three keyslots with a smooth piece of plastic that I cut from a plastic drink cup from Krystals. It's already curved so it doesn't need to be heated or shaped. Just paint it the appropriate color and glue it in place.

You are doing an excellent job with this helmet.

They actually used the whole board, but since the lower half has so few features you really can't tell except in extreme close up pictures.

Alan

SD68 said:
    Just checking to see if anyone knew the answer to my MQ1 casting question I posted earlier. Would like to start the mount for it but need to know if I need to cut down my casting or not.

From
    Perryville, MO

wizardofflight said:
    They actually used the whole board, but since the lower half has so few features you really can't tell except in extreme close up pictures.

Alan
    Alan, are the ear pieces supposed to be mounted perpendicular and centered on the centerlines you have drawn in the top view of the helmet? I would like to get them mounted this weekend and any help would be appreciated. Thanks for the info on the circuit board.

From
    Hitchins, KY (Don't feel bad...no one else has heard of it either...)

Great work so far. I've seen a lot of impressive scratch-built helmets lately.

Yes, that is what I found from my research, they should be perpendicular to the band at the base of the dome and centered. Only in the front view do they flare out at the base.

Looking forward to more updates. I haven't found the time to start work on my own yet. Still working on the gauntlet templates.

Alan

SD68 said:
    Alan, are the ear pieces supposed to be mounted perpendicular and centered on the centerlines you have drawn in the top view of the helmet? I would like to get them mounted this weekend and any help would be appreciated. Thanks for the info on the circuit board.

From
    Perryville, MO

Its been a couple of weeks and here is my latest progress. I have been working on the ear pieces. I knew things would slow down considerably when I reached these detail parts. Constantly checking and rechecking the reference photos has proved invaluable as well as TDH members help and advice. The photos show the construction of the left earpiece out of styrene which I heat formed to obtain the shape. Later I will post a template for the U-shaped piece in order to form the part correctly.

Thanks Alan for the positioning info on the ear pieces! The last photos show the mounting of the left earpiece and initial coat of primer. Plenty to fill and sand yet. Finally, their is the lower section of the right earpiece which I completed today and applied the first coat of primer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails helmet-34-jpg   helmet-36-jpg   helmet-37-jpg  

helmet-40-jpg   helmet-42-jpg   helmet-43-jpg  

helmet-44-jpg   helmet-45-jpg   helmet-46-jpg  

Dude, sweeeeet earcaps! Please do post the template!
    The cheeks look wicked good too! Awesome progress on this!

Impressive work, go on bro !

From
    Perryville, MO

Thanks for the kind words. I wanted to thank Alan and TF for the info also on the depth of the vertical slot on the left earpiece.. TF your helmet is a masterpiece. I would like to do final shaping and filing on the visor opening. My question is this. Do I include the wavy brow or should I keep it straight? I am probably opening a can of worms on this one. Any help with the decision would be great.

The only word that comes to mind if "DAM!" They came out looking great. With your permission and proper credit I would like to add your ear templates to the helmet package. Do you have any in process pics?

As far as the brow is concerned, go with what looks good to you. I drew the templates based on a idealized version of the helmet that appeared on screen.

If you what to be 100% screen acturate go with the wavy brow. Most likely the only ones that will notice though are the folks on this board. Your right in that it is a "can of worms" everyone has an opinion on what is right, but it comes down to what looks good to you, after all you're the one that is going to be wearing it.

Great job!

Alan

P.S. If you want me to include you templates please send the info to wizardofflight@comcast.net
    Last edited by wizardofflight; Jul 10, 2006 at 11:20 AM.

Those ear pieces look great! Very sharp and clean. I would be tempted to leave out the wavy brow, you've gone for a symetrical scratchbuild i take it, not the warped approach, so i would say it's more in keeping with the helmets overall feel to keep the brow straight. It would be nice to see how those ears came together...

From
    Perryville, MO

Guys, I don't have any more in process pics of what I have completed but I will try to do a better job of taking more pics on the upper portion of the right ear piece. I decided to go with the straight brow and do the more idealized version of the Fett bucket. Was able to get the visor area sanded and filed and sanded the cheek areas. Also went with a squared off cheek corner like you suggested TF. I also have the lower ear piece mounted on the right side. Will post progress pics in the next couple of days. It is all coming together nicely and I'm getting more and more excited with the way it looks with each piece I add. Alan I will send you a dwg file of the left ear piece template shortly. I made it about 1/32" oversized to allow for final sanding to make sure the mounting surface is perfectly flat. TDH rules and thanks again for the help and inspiration. TF were you able to start your weathering yet?

SD, i've just got a selection of flints from the garden and started scratching through paint layers, does'nt show up on photos so no pics just yet, i shelved the coffee in favour of Teak furniture stain, watered down this stuff looks great! So have you started painting yet?

That would be great!! once I have them I'll add them to the PDF file. I will also tried to lay out any addtional pieces and maybe a 3D assembly drawing.

Great Job!

Alan

SD68 said:
    Alan I will send you a dwg file of the left ear piece template shortly. I made it about 1/32" oversized to allow for final sanding to make sure the mounting surface is perfectly flat. TDH rules and thanks again for the help and inspiration. TF were you able to start your weathering yet?

From
    Perryville, MO

TF, I have not started painting yet. I started work on the rangefinder stalk and mount so I can finish the earcap. Would like to motorize the RF and install lighting so I'm trying to devise a mount that I can get in place so it doesn't slow down finish work on the main helmet. Would like to get the earcaps mounted and have the entire helmet in primer this weekend. Will post pics tomorrow. Are you using a water based stain(brand) and what are you using for thinner? Can't wait to see progress pics on the weathering.

From
    Perryville, MO

Thought I would post some progress pics on the bucket before I left on vacation. Visor opening filed and sanded and cheeks almost finished. The right ear has taken a lot more time to get together than I thought. Will be making it out of styrene with a copper tubing core for the wiring. Alan, since I have templates for both the ears I will probably send them to you at the same time when I get back. Any feedback or comments would be appreciated. Will pick up a servo on vacation and tackle that when I get back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails helmet-48-jpg   helmet-50-jpg   helmet-51-jpg  

helmet-54-jpg   helmet-55-jpg   helmet-58-jpg  

helmet-60-jpg   helmet-61-jpg  

i'm just so amazed of what you've done.Your a talented person no doubt there.
    Have a safe and fun vacation!

From
    Muskegon, Michigan

Man this helmet is coming along great!!!!

From
    Central Upstate NY

Man, I love all these scratchbuilt buckets. Makes me want to give it a try. This bucket looks great, can't wait to see it finished.

From
    Kamino (also known as Seattle)

Wow! Amazing work man. You should be proud!

From
    Perryville, MO

Well it has been awhile since my last post. The servo mount along with getting the clearances and spacing right took more time than I imagined it would. With that solved I could finally move onto final prep work before painting. I still have some pinholes to fill and refine the upper and lower cheek transition. I am so indebted to this forum for all the inspiration and help on this project. WOF templates are dead on and a dream to work with as you probably know by now. Thanks to Kripps and Kibosh for the batting helmet idea as well as their own superb helmets and TF who took scratchbuilding to a whole new level. The kind words from all the members helped keep me focused. I still have a long way to go but the exciting part is just around the corner- The ESB paintjob. I hope to utilize the painting templates when evan gets them posted. Here is four views of the bucket with a dark grey primer suggested by TF for the base of the metallic undercoat. Duplicolor hot rod primer. Will post pictures of the servo mount a little later this week. I have a question has anyone used spray on bedliner to do the inside of their helmets? I am leaning toward this route to finish out the interior.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails helmet-62-jpg   helmet-63-jpg   helmet-64-jpg  

helmet-65-jpg