Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Mar 3, 2008, 4:08 PM - Need Custom helmet, details as follow #1

Hey there Guys, i have a special need and have no idea how to go about making the following item(s) so i thought i might post this here

I am looking for the Helmet from the following character to be cast & fitted with some form of padding as the helm needs to fit for a convention!
    (with lense if possible) Also, Shins & Forearm guards would be brilliant too if possible ( these need to be usable )

Obviously i am willing to pay for such work and not expecting anything to fall from the sky but serious replies would be brilliant

Mar 3, 2008, 4:11 PM - Re: Need Custom helmet, details as follow #2

Shins and gauntlets could be made out of sintra.
    Mar 3, 2008, 4:15 PM - Re: Need Custom helmet, details as follow #3

I pretty much love this costume/film and it would be brilliant if you could pull it off. My only suggestion is that the helmet could be created with clay, cast (with fiberglass perhaps?) and then covered with rub and buff. Then it would have the appearance of metal without the weight.
  4. Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Mar 4, 2008, 11:41 AM - Re: Need Custom helmet, details as follow #4

do you know anyone/where that might be able to pull this off for me? i have no knowledge or experience in this sort of thing so im rather out of my league!
    Mar 4, 2008, 12:27 PM - Re: Need Custom helmet, details as follow #5

Just from my own prop experience to do a awesome custom molded set of armor and helmet your looking at around $2000-4000 in time and materials, most of that being time but at least $800 in supplies (silicone, fiberglass, ect)

I am sure you can cheat it with sintra, but there again, time is the most expensive thing there.
  6. Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Mar 4, 2008, 12:48 PM - Re: Need Custom helmet, details as follow #6

what is sintra & how does it work?
  7. Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Mar 4, 2008, 1:10 PM - Re: Need Custom helmet, details as follow #7

It's sheet pvc, get it from a sign shop. You score and snap it, heat it and bend it. Even the most inexperienced people have had great results. Just be sure to heat it in a ventilated area.
    Mar 4, 2008, 1:12 PM - Re: Need Custom helmet, details as follow #8

Sintra is a plastic that comes in flat sheets and in a variety of thicknesses and colours. It can be cut with an exacto knife and bent by placing it in boiling water or using a heat gun. It would take some considerable work to create this costume (esp. the helmet) but it is possible. If you search "sintra" on the boards you can see what is usually done with it.