We had a couple warm days here in Alberta last week, so I thought I'd take advantage of them. I've had a FPH2 sitting in my closet since I received it last summer, and an old Asok/FP Budget helmet that I never really got around to working on. The Asok helm has a pretty severe crack in the left cheek from the visor halfway down the cheek. So far, it's only in the cold-cast layer and not the resin underneath.
I reinforced both helmets around the visor with a little steel epoxied between the cheeks. This should keep them from doing funky things, like warping or cracking, I hope. I then cut out the visor on the FPH2 and cleaned it up with a Dremel, just in time to lay down some Floquil Concrete through the airbrush on the rear panels of both helmets.
The next warm day, I resized the RafalFett ESB helmet paint templates to both helmets, went to town with the tracing paper and maskoid, and put down superjedi's recipe for the green: 60-70 drops of BAR Blue and an entire paint pot of Testors Model Master Acryl Euro Dark Green. After removing the masking fluid...
By the end of the evening, I was pretty flippin' cross-eyed.
Try as I might, I can never get the masking fluid to peel off nicely; I get tiny flakes of the top colour all over the bottom colour! Everyone swears by the Humbrol Maskol, but I can never find it around here. I've tried a few peeling techniques, including mastic and gum erasers.
I went in with a small brush and thinned versions of the Concrete and green blend to touch up any mistakes and get rid of the random green flakes. One week later...
The FPH2 is on the left, and the Asok Budget is on the right. Cheers!