Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

My Ugly Duckling Recasted MH Progress thread

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Re: My Ugly Duckling Recasted MH Progress thread

fettpride said: View Post

Uh huh, and that happens right before you lose consciousness, and pass out

Just kidding. Some people are like that. It never bothered me from day one years and years ago. Then, there are those that can't tolerate it in the least. I've always wondered how that can be, and does in mean that one person is genetically prone from the other to get cancer or something from it because they have too much tolerance, like a marker. "Tag, you're it " sort of thing

Just be careful. Don't get too used to it, without a mask or something. You're still breathing in styrene monomers. Ya know, "Known to the State of California to cause .... <insert disease here> ". At least make sure you've got a window open or something if the weather permits.

Sorry wasn't trying to hijack, it just makes me nervous seeing people get into this stuff for the first time

Good luck with the helmet. You've got quite the job ahead. But it sounds like you've got a good mind set about you.

FP
    Thanks, I appreciate your concern for the noobs at certain aspects of this hobby. I always make sure that I work outside and that I maintain some level of protection. Just certain things Ive worked with that are *dangerous* never seem to have an effect on me, like MDF dust, I dont breath it in or anything, but wearing a mask sometimes just became to combersome. I do an on and off thing when it comes to that.

To be honest, the only time Ive ever blacked out was after standing up to fast after practicing a very long tuba piece....man that was not fun..

From
    South Elgin, IL

U B crazy trying to re-hash that hunk of junk Can't wait to see it all perdy.

From
    UK

Hey mate, here's the shots of my ugly bucket with the rim during/after repair. It's kind of reassuring knowing someone else is scratchin' their noggin over similar problems around the same time as me!

Its cool to keep up with your progress, looks like its coming on nicely! I was going to FG the inside, but like you said previously its so messy I couldn't handle evrything in the garage sticking to my gloves and immovable fibres on the driveway which happened last time I experimented. So i just epoxy puttied it, with some body filler too.

I'm sure its been said many times about Fett but it really tickles me how much work you can put into a piece of **** just to getting it look like... a piece of **** I guess its just a very particular and charming piece of ****.

Which version Fett are you doing btw?

From
    The old center of Delft-The Netherlands

It takes a lot of guts to tackle a wasted bucket like this dude! And a lot of craftmanship, which you obviously do not seem to lack! Great stuff! More pics please!!

Peter8)

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

blipper said: View Post
    Hey mate, here's the shots of my ugly bucket with the rim during/after repair. It's kind of reassuring knowing someone else is scratchin' their noggin over similar problems around the same time as me!

Its cool to keep up with your progress, looks like its coming on nicely! I was going to FG the inside, but like you said previously its so messy I couldn't handle evrything in the garage sticking to my gloves and immovable fibres on the driveway which happened last time I experimented. So i just epoxy puttied it, with some body filler too.

I'm sure its been said many times about Fett but it really tickles me how much work you can put into a piece of **** just to getting it look like... a piece of **** I guess its just a very particular and charming piece of ****.

Which version Fett are you doing btw?

Oh wow man, thats an amazing result! You did an awsome job! Im just wanting an ESB style, however, Im going to have another member paint it up for me, cause I cant paint worth anything. Tried detailed painting, and failed miserably Great job again bro!

AntMan said: View Post
    It takes a lot of guts to tackle a wasted bucket like this dude! And a lot of craftmanship, which you obviously do not seem to lack! Great stuff! More pics please!!

Peter8)
    Thank you for your compliment, I really appreciate it. I think the fiberglassing was the easy part actually, the bondo is going to be the hard part of it, but I think I can handle it.

Hey Blipper, I think that both of our helmets came from the same recaster...you see on your helmet's mandibles, on the right side if your facing it, towards the bottom on the visor, is a long clump of fiberglass? That was on my helmet in the same exact spot.

As for an update, the fibergalss is still not dry. I have no other explanation for it, other then its probably the cold weather? It was really warm when I started and it the temp just droped.

Anyways, still waiting for it to set and cure, most of it did, just large parts havent. Its amazing now, that the helmet is about the same weight as my MR clone helmet, and I like it when it feels 'real' too. Will try to get more work done when I can lol Thanks guys

-tubachris

From
    UK

damn!... it's like looking in a mirror, blob for blob! Hope the FG sets mate. Nice choice on ESB, same here.

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

blipper said: View Post
    damn!... it's like looking in a mirror, blob for blob! Hope the FG sets mate. Nice choice on ESB, same here.
    Yea, they seem pretty identical from the pics you showed me, however, I think that you got a better casting then the one I have, but it may have been just as bad, because I know pics dont show how bad it truly is.

Also, the fiberglass is setting now, not 100%, but better then it was. Im thinking its either the cold weather, or that I may have possibly not put enough hardner into the resin. But I dont know, either way, it will harden out eventually.

Another 'also,' I will soon be getting more fettpride gear to beutify this thing, will be getting the keyslots and MQ-1 board casting. This thing shoud be a swan when Im through with it. Thanks everyone

-tubachris

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Yikes!

Well I just start a little more clean up of the visor area. Using files and such, I began grinding down the excess fiberglass and pieces that shouldnt be there. Its not 100% clean, but its ALOT better then it has looked. I trimmed the extra FG from my -re-inforcement, and left a little sticking out of the rim so that I have a "wall" to form the bondo onto.

Some areas, like the inside, top portion and bottom parts of the mandibles are partialy hollow, as I said before, some areas are either just too thick or too thin.

Well, Im going to see what else I can sand off, and Im going to start the bonoing phase

-tubachris

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

This thing just gained another pound or two.....

Anyways, its pretty self-explanatory, I applied the bondo to where I could right now, I was frantically rushing because it starts to set pretty quickly. I also choped off the ear that was already attached to it. Turns out that it was just one giant piece of solid fiberglass resin, nothing else. So I bondo'ed that up, and I just need to adjust it so that I can fit the FP ears that I have.

Im pretty sure Im going to have to sand and re-apply more bondo over time to get the rim the way I want it.

Thats it for now.

-tubachris

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Hmm..Since I cant sleep much right now, I figured I can update as to whats happening..

Ive been patiently waiting for the bondo to cure, and harden up...but apparently, weather is not allowing it too, there have been constant temp. variations, from really cold, dry air, so somewhat warm and humid air, since the time between applying the bondo and now.

I really really wanted to be able to have sanded it down yesterday, but this is happening.

Also, I got some more gear on the way to help turn this thing into a swan or at least in my attempt to. Much thanks goes to fettpride for helping me with these pieces. Will post *pics* when they arrive.

-tubachris

From
    Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Dude.. is that regular Bondo? Because the standard Bondo I got this week turns dark pink when you mix the hardening paste with it... it's the colour it is in your picture before you add the hardening paste to it.

It won't cure unless you mix the two together.
    It might be different stuff than what I got, but the Bondo I bought came with a tube too.

From
    Norwich UK

Hey Chris,

You have done an outstanding job on this lid buddy

I think your ugly duckling really is turning into a swan

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

stellardude said: View Post
    Dude.. is that regular Bondo? Because the standard Bondo I got this week turns dark pink when you mix the hardening paste with it... it's the colour it is in your picture before you add the hardening paste to it.

It won't cure unless you mix the two together.
    It might be different stuff than what I got, but the Bondo I bought came with a tube too.
    I just bought the auto body filler, its the one with the car on it, and has a reddish color to it. Im starting to think that I may have not added enough hardener to the mix...

I took that pic shortly after adding the bondo

Ronin677 said: View Post
    Hey Chris,

You have done an outstanding job on this lid buddy

I think your ugly duckling really is turning into a swan
    Thanks, but its only just begun!

yeah it looks too white. waaaay to white. you might wanna wipe off and try again.

I'm enjoying watching your progress with this. I ALMOST ended up with one of these buckets but SF saved the day for me lol. Its neat to see people fix stuff up.

From
    Ottawa, Ontario Canada

I agree... you're doing a fantastic job cleaning this bucket up! It's looking really great!

Yeah, so you did buy the one that came with the tube of hardener, eh?
    That's what I used... it will stay very soft if you didn't add enough. It should be a dark pink (have a look at the terrible job I did on my keyholes on my Budget Bucket thread... that's what it looked like when I used it... it was still curing when I took the picture)

From
    killinois

This is such a huge job! Kudos for getting right down to it, and such a great job at that.
    Chances are, I would probably try to build one from scratch before I tried to repair something like this.

Keep posting. I wanna see this thing when it's done. I bet it'll be beautiful!

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the compliments!

Well, Im afraid that Im going to have to scrape off the bondo :wtc:

Its been a really sunny day today, and I let it sit out there, but its still very soft. Im assuming that I miscalculated the amount of hardner I put into the mix...

Oh well, trial and error, go do it again!

From
    Ottawa, Ontario Canada

It's going to look amazing when it's done man!
    Could you do me a favour? Could you post a pic or two of the inside of the helmet? Around the visor area? I'd just like to see what you're working with... to compare.

It's all good with the bondo though... it could be worse! It could have been the other way and it could be too hard! At least it will be easy to take off, right?

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

It's going to look amazing when it's done man!
    Could you do me a favour? Could you post a pic or two of the inside of the helmet? Around the visor area? I'd just like to see what you're working with... to compare.

It's all good with the bondo though... it could be worse! It could have been the other way and it could be too hard! At least it will be easy to take off, right?
    No problem, I just gotta scrape off what I can first, and I'll take pics of the area you asked for. Just gotta find my scrapper now..

From
    Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Awesome!! Don't do too much work on it before you take pics ok?
    Before and after shots would be cool! lol

The reason I ask, is because mine is very thick and misshapen in that area.. I have to file and sand it down to make the grooves that the visor will fit into.

Sorry if I'm repeating anything someone else has said - not much time to read right now... This helmet fix-up is looking great. My only question/concern has to do with the auto putty applied inside the way you have it a few posts above. The stuff tends to shrink and pull inward as it cures. I wonder if this will affect the shape of your lid - particularly around the mandible area.

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Gypsyboy said: View Post
    Sorry if I'm repeating anything someone else has said - not much time to read right now... This helmet fix-up is looking great. My only question/concern has to do with the auto putty applied inside the way you have it a few posts above. The stuff tends to shrink and pull inward as it cures. I wonder if this will affect the shape of your lid - particularly around the mandible area.
    Well, most of the bondo did not cure at all, just leaving a really nasty, pasty mess for me to scrape and pick off. I will explain below, that some areas have actually cured, especially around the mandilbles, but so far, nothing had changed drastically from the bondo.

Continuing on, today has been a pain. It was like trying to pick off semi-dried epoxy all over it. Fortunatly, some bondo has actually cured, but were just beneath the non-cured paste.

Its been more work then I thought trying to pick off, scrape and sand what I could. For the most part, which Im a bit happy about, is that parts of the rim of the helmet are actually starting to look fairly decent, because those areas are where the bondo actually hardened up.

The only real area that Im concerned about is the inside of the vertical part of the mandibles, where you would place the visor in. The bond had dripped into the inside (my fault for not removing it at the time!) so it had hardened out. The issue I have with it, is that its hard for me to get a sander or even my files. My metal files are starting to go bad now cause of the pasty bondo getting into it.

Im still not done right now, just wanted to post whats going on right now, I gotta grab the dremel...

Stellardude-I'll get the pics after I spray primer over it in a bit

-tubachris
    (Screaming non-politically correct 4 letter terms at this helmet)

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Alright. Im done for the day, I can only take so much of it lol

Here it is right now, I used a dremel to reach in and sand off the excess bondo on the inner mandibles. It actually worked out for me in a way; I cut off the fiberglass re-inforcement where the visor is going to sit, so I now have sort of a lowered area to put the visor. for the top inner rim of the visor (where the forehead is) most of that is still too uneven and nasty. So im going to try a technique to get the bondo to stay in place, while making it all even. Im going to cut a strip of styrene plastic so that it run the length of the inner rim, from side to side. Since its uneven, the space between the fiberglass and the plastic should be somewhat open and have gaps. From that, I will apply the bondo to fill in the spaces and then sand it down until all is smooth. Thats the plan of course.

Anyways, here's a pic of it with the primer. Dont be fooled, theres a ton more work needed. I can never seem to spray an even coat of primer onto anything...

Stellardude, I promis I will get pics after this is dried. The temp is good right now, and I should be able to handle it a little later tonight.

-tubachris

From
    Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Looks like you got a good hard days work in there!
    It's looking very nice!

I know how you feel about getting progress pics... when you get momentum on your work, it's hard to pull yourself away in order to take step by step pics! lol

I'm going to post some pics tomorrow of progress over the past two days. I couldn't get any clear pictures of the latex mask of the damage (clear fluid barely shows to the naked eye, nevermind to the camera!). I've got my base colours applied and the mask is off to show all the damage... looks beautiful! (a tear comes to my eye!)

Keep up the great work! You seem a lot more patient than I am!

From
    Dark Side of the Moon

Looks like you got a good hard days work in there!
    It's looking very nice!

I know how you feel about getting progress pics... when you get momentum on your work, it's hard to pull yourself away in order to take step by step pics! lol

I'm going to post some pics tomorrow of progress over the past two days. I couldn't get any clear pictures of the latex mask of the damage (clear fluid barely shows to the naked eye, nevermind to the camera!). I've got my base colours applied and the mask is off to show all the damage... looks beautiful! (a tear comes to my eye!)

Keep up the great work! You seem a lot more patient than I am!
    Im trying to be patient, but I always gotta remember why I got this thing to begin with!

Anyways, the primer just finished drying for the most part. Its revealing aloooooooot of problem areas on the surface. there are alot of little bumps and whatnot that I need to sand off. The dome is another issue, there are several dips in it, and I need to fill with bondo and sand, so that I can get the dome somewhat more round then it is now.

Alot more work is going to be needed. Gimme a sec, and I'll post the visor pics for you