This is my second helmet that I have painted. The first one was painted with MB's choice of paints and it worked for awhile, but once I decided to make it as accurate to ESB as much as possible, I sold the helmet and bought this fiberglass one that I have airbrushed with RS colors. I am not done painting it yet, I still have to touch up the scratches and do the window cleaner wash. All the large scratches I have I used the tape technique. I drew the scratch on the painters masking tape and then cut it out. it took forever, but it worked. I just have to go over the lines to get rid of the straight-look it sometimes created. I am trying to keep the scratch details closer to the ESB movie photos, as the ESB helmet from MOTM seems to have developed additional scratches since the movie.
My first attempt using an airbrush too. I will post more as the helmet progresses. I am open to any tips for making it more movie accurate.