what the mod podge does is seal it and make it water resistant as well as making it a little stronger and harder. I tried gently pushing in at the sides below the ears at the bottom, and it doesn't seem too much more flemsy than like a DP96/97. It will need to be more reinforced with a metal hoop around the bottom, but even without it's pretty strong.
I just finished putting one coat of primer on it after fixing the dome height. That really revealed how much more work needs to be done. I thought I was going to get away without having to bondo it or put any other sort of putty or anything on it. But with the primer coat, you can really see the ridges in the dome and gaps and bubbles in the glue around the dome.
look for more updates soon.