Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
    Nov 12, 2006, 3:04 PM - Re: My scratchbuilt progress: cardboard *PIC INTENSIVE* #26

what the mod podge does is seal it and make it water resistant as well as making it a little stronger and harder. I tried gently pushing in at the sides below the ears at the bottom, and it doesn't seem too much more flemsy than like a DP96/97. It will need to be more reinforced with a metal hoop around the bottom, but even without it's pretty strong.

I just finished putting one coat of primer on it after fixing the dome height. That really revealed how much more work needs to be done. I thought I was going to get away without having to bondo it or put any other sort of putty or anything on it. But with the primer coat, you can really see the ridges in the dome and gaps and bubbles in the glue around the dome.

look for more updates soon.
    Nov 15, 2006, 8:58 PM - Re: My scratchbuilt progress: cardboard *PIC INTENSIVE* #27

****UPDATE****

I've been working, and photographing, but I was having problems getting pics uploaded, I ended up doing one picture at a time, so here we go

primered, as you can see, I need to do some major bondoing to round out the dome. Gotta have daylight to do it though since I don't have a workspace inside for that sort of thing

rangefinder ear

start of the cover

top layer is one piece of cardboard cut and glued down at an angle

I did the arch by gluing several small triangles up and down and at the angle the arch needed to be and then gluing several bigger triangles curved and then angled down.

side view together with the stalk guide piece.

all the pieces cut and ready for gluing for the lower section of the rangefinder side ear

layers glued together ready for the top piece

the top is all one piece, together with the other 2 pieces

laying on the helmet unattached

angle 2

the other ear. I didn't take any progress pictures of this piece

you can't really see much fro this angle but I thought it was fun.

ears layed out together

I have since hot glued the ears on and am going to me mod podging them to seal and strengthen, then it's bondo time. No time this weekend unfortunately as I will be out of town most of it, but I'll see what I can do.

FYI for anyone wondering the strenght of the the helmet: the helmet and each of the ear pieces have all been dropped on the floor more than once and are still in tact with no damage done at all. You can also knock on it and get that nice, deep, hollow sound.

looking forward to painting and a little worried at the same time. I'm going for a ROTJ:SE so its all Gotta find and pick up the paints first.
    Nov 16, 2006, 2:30 AM - Re: My scratchbuilt progress: cardboard *PIC INTENSIVE* #28

this really astounds me,

i totally feel for you when it comes to cutting out all these individual pieces and layering things to make a 3d object.

just finished an orthographic mapping project last month for a class for school. cutting out dozens of layers of illustration board to make 3 views of the same object, i did a laser tag gun

nice work on this, can't wait to see it finished
    Nov 17, 2006, 9:46 PM - Re: My scratchbuilt progress: cardboard *PIC INTENSIVE* #29

As much work as you have put into this you could of just bought a bucket. BUT, I do respect you greatly b/c your starting from ground zero. So hats off to you! I will be watching this thread.
    Nov 18, 2006, 11:04 AM - Re: My scratchbuilt progress: cardboard *PIC INTENSIVE* #30

I see you're still going strong. I continue to watch and learn.
    Nov 25, 2006, 10:56 AM - Re: My scratchbuilt progress: cardboard *PIC INTENSIVE* #31

well, the long weekend has finally given me the chance to bondo. I'm waitng for it to set so it can be sanded. Then it's time to paint. I've got all the paints on RS list so except for the tanish color on the back I should be good to go. That and I need to do alot of studying of techniques and pictures of scratches etc. Oh and I need an airbrush. but i'll be putting up some more progress pictures soon so stay posted.
    Nov 25, 2006, 11:18 AM - Re: My scratchbuilt progress: cardboard *PIC INTENSIVE* #32

Wow that is some really kick A@# work. I'm very impresssed need to try that challenge.
  8. Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Nov 25, 2006, 11:31 AM - Re: My scratchbuilt progress: cardboard *PIC INTENSIVE* #33

Very nice work indeed, your thread is one of the threads that galvanised me into making a bucket of my own this way. Kudos on the hard work mate it's paid off in spades
  9. Member Since
    Aug 2006
    Nov 25, 2006, 4:18 PM - Re: My scratchbuilt progress: cardboard *PIC INTENSIVE* #34

wow... i made mine like this too but ures is perfect (mine got vry bad xDD)

i got vry bad when i saw thet ures is like this n mine is like a montain of nothin util... and i spend too mux money on that (im gettin depressed)

can i post some photos here?
    Last edited by ManjiBR; Nov 25, 2006 at 4:25 PM.
    Nov 25, 2006, 10:33 PM - Re: My scratchbuilt progress: cardboard *PIC INTENSIVE* #35

you may want to start your own thread for pictures of your own progress, but if you want to make some direct comparisons I have no problems with you posting them here.
  11. Member Since
    Aug 2006
    Nov 28, 2006, 10:43 AM - Re: My scratchbuilt progress: cardboard *PIC INTENSIVE* #36

ok xD i just wanna know wut is that gray material that u used in ur helmet
    Nov 28, 2006, 6:50 PM - Re: My scratchbuilt progress: cardboard *PIC INTENSIVE* #37

that's actually just primer paint. under that is something called Mod-Podge which is clear. It's a cardboard sealer. The bottle says you can put it over jigsaw puzzles to keep them together or whatever. My sister-in-law also uses it to decopodge which is some sort of girly crafty thing.
  13. Member Since
    Aug 2006
    Nov 29, 2006, 10:51 AM - Re: My scratchbuilt progress: cardboard *PIC INTENSIVE* #38

cool ... u used a glue to do it my helmet got some parts that arent very .. perfect xD how can i repair that?
    Nov 29, 2006, 1:23 PM - Re: My scratchbuilt progress: cardboard *PIC INTENSIVE* #39

lets see what you are talking about first, maybe I can suggest something, but without seeing it my best suggestion sadly is to start over
    Nov 30, 2006, 9:38 PM - Re: My scratchbuilt progress: cardboard *PIC INTENSIVE* #41

Wow, why did I not keep up with this thread? That is an amazing bucket. Now you can have the pride of wearing it and being being able to say you made that.

One thing I can see for improvement though, is the dome, right where it meets the brow. Instead of going strait down, it appears to curve inward. Kind of like a circle that is just short of being cut in half. Do you know see what I mean? I wish I could explain it better. This can be easily fixed in the bondo process.

The arrows also look like they could be straightened out a little.

Keep up the good work.
    Nov 30, 2006, 9:58 PM - Re: My scratchbuilt progress: cardboard *PIC INTENSIVE* #42

Absolutely incredible! This shows that anything is impossible. The only critique I have is that the dent is too high and far back. I can't wait to see some paint on this puppy. I'm in awe of your patience and skill.
  17. Member Since
    Jan 2007
    Jan 28, 2007, 7:04 PM - Re: My scratchbuilt progress: cardboard *PIC INTENSIVE* #43

im just finishing with the paper part of my first scratch build and i was wondering if you bondo'd the inside of the bucket??
  18. Member Since
    Jan 2007
    Jan 31, 2007, 10:44 PM - Re: My scratchbuilt progress: cardboard *PIC INTENSIVE* #44

That's a great bucket! I've almost got all the fabrication done on my cardboard bucket. Keep up the good work!
    Feb 1, 2007, 5:21 PM - Re: My scratchbuilt progress: cardboard *PIC INTENSIVE* #45

at the last time i touched it I had pretty much covered the whole outside with bondo and am working on getting it sanded. there's also a section of the dome that is kinda flat so i'm trying to build that up a little more with the bondo. I also filled in the dent and the arrows so that I can put them in more accurate places. I haven't worked on it in awhile because I live in an apartment and the only place to work is outside on my deck and it's been too cold for that. As far as the inside, i plan on leaving it cardboard so that if anyone asks how I made it I can say it's made of cardboard and if they don't believe it i can just show them the inside.

thanks for the kind words.
  20. Member Since
    Jan 2007
    Feb 2, 2007, 8:49 AM - Re: My scratchbuilt progress: cardboard *PIC INTENSIVE* #46

thanks, i have been wondering how you gort it stable without supporting the inside
    Feb 6, 2007, 10:07 PM - Re: My scratchbuilt progress: cardboard *PIC INTENSIVE* #47

the inside is covered with mod-podge, but other than that there's nothing. I've dropped it on more than one occasion with no real damage.
    Feb 8, 2007, 8:45 PM - Re: My scratchbuilt progress: cardboard *PIC INTENSIVE* #48

Bah, I can't see your pictures at work. I'll have to check it out again at home since Photobucket is blocked here. I'm really interested in seeing your pictures, hopefully I can get more inspiration. Cardboard, FTW!

I'm working on a cardboard bucket too. Thanks to Honus and WOF, as well.

I've used the Modpodge as on the outside to seal the surface and maintain the detail but I'm coating the entire inside with fiberglass and resin. Mostly because I have it but also partially to see how well this technique works.

The modpodge did add a little firmness to it but the fiberglass has turned it into a solid helmet.