Many thanks go to Alan for his templates and to Honus for the inspiration that a cardboard bucket can be done, and done well.
The work you see here in the first post was all done in a few hours on a saturday. I'll try and explain step by step what each picture is and how it was done for those who have never attempted a scratch build with Alan's templates and maybe it can be used as a "how to" guide to go along with Honus' guide.
* FYI to help match things up, descriptions of each picture will be below the photo
I made the mistake of using packing tape for most of the helmet, which you will see in most of the pictures. In this case I would recommend using tape because this inner form gets removed later, using tape made it easier to take out.
A top down view of the same step: both of which show the helmet base and the inner form.
Inner surface and dome base attached. To curve the pieces, first I attached them end to end, then I rolled them like a newspaper, if that makes any sense.
outer surface attached, inner surface cut into to make room for the cheek, 1 piece of the cheek attached.
learning from the first side, I traced the cheek onto the inner surface to be cut out before attaching anything.
inner surface cut out.
attaching the outer survace
continuing to attach the outer surface
outer surface attached, cheek attached.
brain surgery, Hannible Lecter style. Needed to open the lid to ge the other parts of the cheek in.
removed to bottom, leaving a ring to hold the form, removed the inner form pieces, which folded and popped out easily due to the fact that I was using tape. attached the 2 pieces of the cheeks together and attached it to the upper cheek area and to the bottom ring.
without the flash to see the 3D form a little better w/o flash washing it out.
looking down through the top
dome form cut and attached, Kinda. I made a second dome base, so that the dome and the rest of the bucket are seperate pieces, to make working on the inner parts easier.
here you can see the 2 seperate pieces
my formerly headless manaquin now has the start of his head.
I have since completed the dome, taking pictures along the way of course. Pictures have not been uploaded yet.
More to come.