Subscribe
    May 17, 2015, 2:37 PM - My scratch build and thanks... #1

Its taken me about 5 months to get to this point and there are still some details I need to deal with but here is the nearly complete bucket.

bf_complete1-jpgbf_complete2-jpgbf_complete3-jpg

Special thanks to Wizardofflight, Rafalfett, Teminal fettler, Antman, Superjedi and others who blazed the trail here. I had no idea what I was getting into, but it's been a fun project. My wife hasn't kicked me out yet, but she was close (kidding but seriously). Everyone who sees this thing is in awe, and I really owe everyone here my gratitude.

I managed to build everything from scratch using frame matting board, bondo, fiberglass, CNCed mdf and plastic for the ears & rf stalk, plexiglass and sintra for the rangefinder (which isn't really done yet). I used my dremel to cut a T-visor from a face shield thing from Lowes with some cheap window tint (which was a bit of a pain and needs some rework)

I wish I would have photographed my process more but here are a few post build pics I do have.

bf_scratch1-jpgbf_scratch2-jpgbf_scratch-1-jpgbf_scratch-5-jpgbf_scratch-2-jpgbf_scratch-6-jpgbf_scratch-4-jpg

I used terminal fettler's esb paint up guide with airbrush Humbrol paints & maskol, etc.

Some pics from my painting process. Also thanks to Lewis-White FX channel. He really lays out the painting process in a concise way.

bf_paintup-3-jpgbf_paintup-4-jpgbf_paintup-5-jpgbf_paintup-10-jpgbf_paintup-8-jpgbf_paintup-11-jpgbf_paintup-12-jpgbf_paintup-13-jpgbf_paintup-16-jpgbf_paintup-1-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bf_paintup-15-jpg   bf_paintup-6-jpg  
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
    May 17, 2015, 6:49 PM - Re: My scratch build and thanks... #2

Looks like it coming along pretty good from what I see.
    May 17, 2015, 11:34 PM - Re: My scratch build and thanks... #3

An amazing scratch build. I find projects like this inspiring where there is an incredible amount of hard work and skill involved. Keep up the good work
  5. Member Since
    Jan 2015
    May 20, 2015, 4:15 AM - Re: My scratch build and thanks... #4

awesome!!!

can I ask what template you used?
  6. May 20, 2015, 6:46 AM - Re: My scratch build and thanks... #5

Quote Mutley said: View Post
    awesome!!!

can I ask what template you used?
    Would have been wizard of flight templates.

- - - Updated - - -

Great build, your helmet looks awesome
    May 20, 2015, 8:36 AM - Re: My scratch build and thanks... #6

Yep WoF templates.

I wish I would have used Rafalfett's templates though. My reason being that as I researched the original prop photos and the pro casting photos like FettPride I began to see problems with the visor cutout, mandibles and dome shape of the WoF templates. I ended up going back several times and re-applying bondo to get my some of my lines looking better. If you look through his template post he has gone through great lengths to get the all of his measurements correct...even down to the asymmetrical imperfections in the original prop.

I would recommend going with Rafalfett at this point. My sons are dying for their own Fett helmets so I'll use some scaled down rafalfett for those.
    Jun 25, 2015, 7:17 PM - Re: My scratch build and thanks... #7

ToEleven:

Excellent work. I have used picture matting board on projects too. My previous helmet was based on the WOF templates and I discovered the same issues you did. My current helmet is based on Rafal Fett's work and his template are much more accurate.
  9. Member Since
    Jun 2015
    Jun 26, 2015, 8:53 AM - Re: My scratch build and thanks... #8

Really nice! Do you have any more details on how you built your ears? I'm getting close to finishing the bondo stage on my bucket and need ro start my ears.
    Jun 26, 2015, 9:35 PM - Re: My scratch build and thanks... #9

Quote beetle said: View Post
    Really nice! Do you have any more details on how you built your ears? I'm getting close to finishing the bondo stage on my bucket and need ro start my ears.
    My father has a cnc router he uses for wood carving, so I imported the WoF pdf template into the software for the machine (basically a 3d design program) and carved them out of MDF (medium density fiberboard).

The bottom angle part is a piece of a maple strip cut at an angle on a table saw. I did this to get a sharper look than the cnc carving could produce.

I WAS going to use antman's method from the scratch build sticky threads in the helmet forum. He used a layered up cardboard method. I would recommend going with his method, since most people don't have cnc machines to play around with. Plus his finished product looks pretty legit.
    Jun 26, 2015, 9:43 PM - Re: My scratch build and thanks... #10

Quote SPY007 said: View Post
    ToEleven:

Excellent work. I have used picture matting board on projects too. My previous helmet was based on the WOF templates and I discovered the same issues you did. My current helmet is based on Rafal Fett's work and his template are much more accurate.
    Thanks, I just started a 92% scale rafalfett which I'm going to attempt to cast for my sons (hopefully in time for Halloween). They're so into my helmet...maybe this will appease their little Fett appetites.
  12. Member Since
    Jun 2015
    Jul 15, 2015, 8:30 PM - Re: My scratch build and thanks... #11

Any pics of your son's helmet?
  13. Jul 15, 2015, 9:57 PM - Re: My scratch build and thanks... #12

Looks fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jul 16, 2015, 12:58 PM - Re: My scratch build and thanks... #13

This is where I am with my son's bucket...92% scale. It will be a little big but should last him a while.

I'm working with expanded pvc (sintra etc). It's really nice with super glue and a heat gun. The dome is driving me crazy though. I got it almost all in and realized I had uneven heights in my sections. It always happens when I get in a hurry.

0704151340-custom-jpg0707152043-custom-jpg
  15. Member Since
    Jul 2015
    Jul 16, 2015, 2:48 PM - Re: My scratch build and thanks... #14

this is so awesome!
    Jul 17, 2015, 1:47 AM - Re: My scratch build and thanks... #15

That's such a cool scratch! I can't wait to start mine.
  17. Member Since
    Sep 2011
    1 Week Ago - Aug 23, 2015, 6:46 PM - Re: My scratch build and thanks... #16

Wow this is amazing. Great job.
    1 Week Ago - Aug 24, 2015, 7:29 AM - Re: My scratch build and thanks... #17

Thanks for the kind words.

I started another thread for work on my son's bucket here http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/t...ild-wip-52997/
  19. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    1 Week Ago - Aug 24, 2015, 3:13 PM - Re: My scratch build and thanks... #18

That's amazing work your son is a very lucky lad. I have 3 of my own and they are all giving me the 'I want one too' look lol
    1 Week Ago - Aug 24, 2015, 8:51 PM - Re: My scratch build and thanks... #19

Quote RichHFB said: View Post
    That's amazing work your son is a very lucky lad. I have 3 of my own and they are all giving me the 'I want one too' look lol
    I know! My 5 year old is going to give me fits until HE gets one.
  21. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    1 Week Ago - Aug 25, 2015, 2:01 AM - Re: My scratch build and thanks... #20

Tell me about it my youngest is the same age and has been 'helping' at different stages which has made things a bit more interesting than they need to be lol