This is my first helmet paint job since my college days. I went with the ROTJ scheme (my favorite). I had thought that it would actually be easier than the ESB, but it's definitely just as challenging, maybe more so!
The base helmet is a wonderful Asok Cold Cast (I'm know it's not news, but Asok is a PLEASURE to deal with), because my second-hand FP Premium deal fell through (I won't name names, but UNBELIEVABLY disappointing - ugh).
I used a little bit of reference from some of the great paintups on here (dynamic1 and Jayvee), plus the templates and of course the gallery. As far as methodology and technique, well, it's nice to live down the street from deadland. I figure that it's turning out pretty well so far.
The previous paintups I did were all on Don Post lids, and it was well before the huge amount of reference that we have now. Although those older helmets turned out pretty nice (in my opinion), I'm hoping for this one to be way better.
I went with a rattlecan approach (I don't currently have the space necessary for an airbrushed job), which is the same method I used for my previous buckets. The colors haven't changed in the last 12 years (same ol' Spruce Green, same ol' Hunter Green, same ol' Sage Green, same ol' Cabernet), but I added Cobalt Cannon, which is a great color for some of the miscellaneous damage and scrapes on the dome and lower cheeks, in addition to the Flat Black, Gray Primer, etc.
Ordinarily I take nice photos of my subjects, but I just snapped a few with my phone this morning. I pulled some of the masking off of the dome (the paint wasn't quite fully cured), so here's what she looks like so far. LOTS more work to be done!