Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    Oct 10, 2012, 11:52 AM - My New ROTJ #1

Hello, boys!

This is my first helmet paint job since my college days. I went with the ROTJ scheme (my favorite). I had thought that it would actually be easier than the ESB, but it's definitely just as challenging, maybe more so!

The base helmet is a wonderful Asok Cold Cast (I'm know it's not news, but Asok is a PLEASURE to deal with), because my second-hand FP Premium deal fell through (I won't name names, but UNBELIEVABLY disappointing - ugh).

I used a little bit of reference from some of the great paintups on here (dynamic1 and Jayvee), plus the templates and of course the gallery. As far as methodology and technique, well, it's nice to live down the street from deadland. I figure that it's turning out pretty well so far.

The previous paintups I did were all on Don Post lids, and it was well before the huge amount of reference that we have now. Although those older helmets turned out pretty nice (in my opinion), I'm hoping for this one to be way better.

I went with a rattlecan approach (I don't currently have the space necessary for an airbrushed job), which is the same method I used for my previous buckets. The colors haven't changed in the last 12 years (same ol' Spruce Green, same ol' Hunter Green, same ol' Sage Green, same ol' Cabernet), but I added Cobalt Cannon, which is a great color for some of the miscellaneous damage and scrapes on the dome and lower cheeks, in addition to the Flat Black, Gray Primer, etc.

Ordinarily I take nice photos of my subjects, but I just snapped a few with my phone this morning. I pulled some of the masking off of the dome (the paint wasn't quite fully cured), so here's what she looks like so far. LOTS more work to be done!

Comment/critiques welcome!

Oct 10, 2012, 12:58 PM - Re: My New ROTJ #2

Wow bro that is looking fantastic I cannot wait to see it in person. Hell you cannot even tell where that chunk was missing on the lower cheek!!!
    Oct 10, 2012, 6:23 PM - Re: My New ROTJ #3

Coming along nicely! Wish I had the skills haha
  4. I helped at SDCC '08 Fett Seven's Avatar
    Oct 10, 2012, 8:08 PM - Re: My New ROTJ #4

Rattle can?, Wow its looking great!
    Oct 10, 2012, 8:13 PM - Re: My New ROTJ #5

Looking killer bud, all the ROTJ love at the moment is awesome! Keep up the good work
    Oct 11, 2012, 4:52 PM - Re: My New ROTJ #6

WOW man...looking excuisite I must say!!! cant wait for glamour shots on her...slap some lipstick on and shes ready!!!
    Oct 13, 2012, 7:40 PM - Re: My New ROTJ #7

Lots more work to be done. I need to even the cutout on the non-rangefinder side of the helmet. Plus more paint, plus visor install, plus etc. etc. etc.

So much fun!
    Oct 17, 2012, 2:09 AM - Re: My New ROTJ #8

A little more progress. Temporary visor (just taped in). I'm happy with it so far.

Oct 17, 2012, 2:44 AM - Re: My New ROTJ #9

very good work, sir, very good indeed.
    Oct 17, 2012, 8:46 AM - Re: My New ROTJ #10

good work!
    Oct 17, 2012, 11:39 AM - Re: My New ROTJ #11

Thanks for the kind words, gents. It's nowhere near the level as many others' helmets on the site, but boy, I'm having fun with it!

I'm very apprehensive about the installation of the visor. Like dinykdarth, I'm concentrating heavily on evening out the interior of the mandibles for thickness and uniformity. That seems like the only drawback to the asok.

The visor currently 'installed' is a super flimsy face shield that was given to me by a fellow member. It's just taped in place right now, mostly for fitting purposes, plus it was easy to cut with just a pair of scissors. It's very important to me that it sits RIGHT UP against the inner mandibles. I want any gaps to be as miniscule as possible, if any.

As far as paint, I just have the kill stripes, forehead triangles and a back panel re-do (the first masking fluid that I bought was HORRIBLY THICK). Then clear coat, clear coat, clear coat!
    Oct 18, 2012, 12:26 PM - Re: My New ROTJ #12

Dude this is coming along nicely keep up the good work!!
    Oct 19, 2012, 11:54 AM - Re: My New ROTJ #13

Quick cell phone pic from this morning. Forehead triangles and kill stripes added. Gotta clean up the kill stripes.

Still much work to be done.

Last edited by rubio95; Oct 19, 2012 at 8:58 PM.
    Oct 19, 2012, 8:56 PM - Re: My New ROTJ #14

Did a little more work this evening before poker night. Coming along well.

Oct 19, 2012, 9:40 PM - Re: My New ROTJ #15

rotj like a boss!

you've got some options for installing your visor, as you probably know about; chicago screws, etc. with my recent helmet i didn't have time to do a proper visor installation before the troop i needed it for so i just duct taped it in place. once i get my electronics in though i'll do a real install for it.
    Oct 19, 2012, 9:58 PM - Re: My New ROTJ #16

Quote saint_nasty said: View Post
    rotj like a boss!

you've got some options for installing your visor, as you probably know about; chicago screws, etc. with my recent helmet i didn't have time to do a proper visor installation before the troop i needed it for so i just duct taped it in place. once i get my electronics in though i'll do a real install for it.
    Thank you, brother!

Yea, I've already picked up a bunch of the Chicago screws. I'm holding out, though, until I can get the right color visor. I'm of the belief that the ROTJ visor is not green.

Anyways, it doesn't even matter at this point, since I still have so much work to do, still.

Thanks for commenting!
    Oct 22, 2012, 9:35 PM - Re: My New ROTJ #17

Dude it just keeps getting better and better. Maybe we can get together this weekend and get the visor nailed down as I need to the same on a coupke of commissions I am working on.
    Oct 22, 2012, 11:46 PM - Re: My New ROTJ #18

[QUOTE=rubio95;587943]Thank you, brother!

Yea, I've already picked up a bunch of the Chicago screws. I'm holding out, though, until I can get the right color visor. I'm of the belief that the ROTJ visor is not green.

Agreed, I think the ROTJ visor is smoke black. Thats what I'll be going with in mine :-)
    Nov 4, 2012, 10:26 PM - Re: My New ROTJ #19

I haven't done much lately, but got some new photography gear and had some fun tonight, though Photobucket annihilates the resolution.

Nov 5, 2012, 5:15 PM - Re: My New ROTJ #20

Looks great man!!
    Nov 5, 2012, 9:00 PM - Re: My New ROTJ #21

That really looks great. Super job!!
    Nov 30, 2012, 1:51 AM - Re: My New ROTJ #22

Nothing much new paint-wise, but I dull-coated the dome, mandibles, and lower cheeks. Still have much to do, but I've also been busy acquiring other suit parts. Forgive the dramatic photos, but that's yet another pursuit. Killing two birds with one stone lol!

Lower half (cell phone pic):

Last edited by rubio95; Nov 30, 2012 at 2:14 AM.
    Nov 30, 2012, 2:57 AM - Re: My New ROTJ #23

Looks great bud, you have captured the damage really well, and those 'dramatic' shots look lovely! Fantastic mate, keep up the great work!
    Nov 30, 2012, 2:01 PM - Re: My New ROTJ #24

that right side pic is just insane!!
    Nov 30, 2012, 2:56 PM - Re: My New ROTJ #25

Thanks for the compliments, fellas.

Jayvee - It's hard to tell, but I finally got the smoke visor in the mail. It's not as dark as the green face shields, but it's still pretty dark. I'm interested in knowing what you think of yours. These things aren't as easy to get ahold of as one would think. It took quite a bit of searching for me to find one.

I have to redo the upper cheeks. They didn't turn out dark enough, blue enough, or with as much damage as I wanted. Hopefully I'll be able to get some real paintwork going this weekend. Add that to the ears and rear panels (notice I don't really show the back/sides all that much?)

I forgot to mention that I color-sanded the majority of the helmet. This was necessary mostly because I used spraypaint rather than airbrush, which tends to leave a somewhat textured finish in some places. The color-sand really evened out the paint, and the smoothness was awesome! Applying the dull coat was very quick. This was mostly necessary, again, because of the use of spraypaint (the colors are all satin/semigloss). Like I tell deadland all the time, I'm a car guy, so I believe in sanding (1200/1500/2000) and clearcoating EVERYTHING! The pictures don't do a very good job of highlighting the actual finish of the helmet, particularly the dome.

So between the sanding and dull coating, the helmet looks more like what I would imagine a real helmet would look like. deadland and I have had talks about how the screen-used helmet was painted, and it's doubtful that there is any sealant on any of them. So clear coat, for me, boils down to my personal taste and, above all, protection.

I will add several more coats of the dull coat when I complete the helmet, meaning my lid will be very well protected. My paintwork is about average, I suppose, but nevertheless, I'd like to keep it looking nice. I'm debating whether or not to wetsand the entire lid after the remaining paintwork is finished, but I'm a little leary of two things:

1. Is dull coat even sandable in the first place?

2. Wetsanding/polishing a gloss clear coat makes the surface into a mirror, basically, which is beautiful to behold. But that's not what we're going for with Boba Fett. Will it alter the finish? I know that it won't become as smooth as glass, but at the same time, I don't really know what it will do. Does anyone have any experience with sanding dull coat?

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by rubio95; Nov 30, 2012 at 9:15 PM.