Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My new helmet

My new helmet

I just got my new helmet. And I saw somthing that was strange. It is a rubies helmet that has the date 2002 on it. I didn't know that there was such a thing. I thought that there was only '95, '96, '97. Anyone else seen one of these? Are they any better/worse than anything else?

From
    VIRGINIA BEACH...VA

Re: My new helmet

Don Post made the helmets in the 90's. Rubies makes the newer "versions" that can be found at most halloween costume shops

So are the rubies ones not good for costuming? Or at least to our standards? I did notice that it was rather large. I hope it isn't ridiculously big. I’ll post pictures later today.

From
    VIRGINIA BEACH...VA

A Rubies is a decent start. I have seen some that went under HEAVY transformations, but came out looking very cool. The only problem that I have seen is that they have a really flat looking dome, and the sides have almost no flare at all...and don't get my started on the paint job.

There are several threads here that explain what needs to be done to make it look better, try the search option with RUBIES as your main querry.

Good luck!

From
    Palatine, IL

Plenty of info on helmets if you use the "search" feature. In a nutshell, most of us stay away from Rubies unless that's all we can afford. They are actually undersized an quite inaccurate. If it's all you can afford, you can make it look OK with a new paintjob and visor, but if you have a little money, much better helmets are available if you look around.

Thanks, I'll do that. Yeah I guess it is all I can afford, but with a new paint job and visor (not to mention some elbow greese) it will look good. I hope.

Is it a Rubies Jango or Boba helmet?

It's a Boba. I think it looks pretty cool, but it is the first Fett helmet I've seen up close. I can't wait to mod it.

From
    Nampa, Idaho...the Outer Rim

And this helmet isn't anywhere near undersized. With some modding I think it will turn out pretty darn good.

I heard it has a recessed visor like the DP 95. Is this true?
    Last edited by BobaN00b; Jun 15, 2005 at 8:37 PM.

From
    Massachusetts

DarkFlipDog said:
    And this helmet isn't anywhere near undersized. With some modding I think it will turn out pretty darn good.
    I'm sure with modding it will turn out good as well... one thing though... if its a Rubies or Don Post it most definitely is undersized. As compared to the real helmet its about 3/4 its size. Course... depending on the size of the person wearing it that makes a difference in how big it really should be. We're just comparing it to the size of a movie sized bucket.

From

No...no recessed visor.

And also, no...as I said before it is not undersized. I have about the same measurements as JB and it fits perfectly fine. It sits low enough and everything is sized correctly. And even un-modded (yeah, its a little uncomfortable cause its just plastic) its actually a little loose.

From
    Massachusetts

You're not getting my point... my point is that a standard Rubies or Don Post is in fact smaller than the REAL movie bucket.

It may not be undersized for you but it IS smaller than the real helmet worn in the films. Some members here have casts from the real bucket and others have handled the real deal and compared those to a Don Post and to a Rubies.

From
    Palatine, IL

To Webchief you listen...I've owned two or three Don Post 97's (same as current Rubies) and a couple Don Post 95's. I've also owned, and still own, Mystery helmets (which are believed to have their origin from a screen used ROTJ helmet). Mystery helmets are about 20% bigger I'd say.

DP 95 are a good option for smaller folks who tend to look like bobbleheads in one of the larger helmets.

Yep, unfortunately that is the truth. The standard DP/ Rubies helmets are noticably smaller compared to the real ILM helmets.

I'd also like to take a moment and clarify that that I am 99% sure the Mystery Helmet is not a derivative casting of the Jedi helmet but rather another helmet.

From
    St. Catharines, ON

tylerdurden said:
    I'd also like to take a moment and clarify that that I am 99% sure the Mystery Helmet is not a derivative casting of the Jedi helmet but rather another helmet.
    Can you elaborate?

From
    VIRGINIA BEACH...VA

Yes, please do...

He means that he believes the Mystery helmet is NOT cast from one of the movie helmets but is instead made using measurements taken from a movie helmet. It's still bigger and more accurate then a Rubies or DP though, this has something to do with Lucas not licencing completely accurate helmets. NONE of the mass produced licenced helmets are accurate, although some are better than others.

From
    Earth

Don Post had a stunt helmet in there possesion and they put out the DP with all its inaccuracies anyway. Lucas never produced a Helmet, He let other companies do it and He lent them the Helmet what more can He do?

http://people.nnu.edu/tamcknight/images/fett.jpg

Here is a pic of my helmet next to my Star Wars Triligy DVD box. It not very warped. It just needs some TLC. Heh Heh

From
    Palatine, IL

Best of luck Son of Knight with your helmet. Just remember to take your time and follow all of the great advice on this board and it'll turn out fine!

Now for you tylerdurden! I'd love to hear your reasons for bursting our bubble on the conventional wisdom concerning the origin of the Mystery helmet. Normally I wouldn't buy it, but your credibility on these matters is without question so...what do you know about the Mystery helmet that I don't?

First, I'd like to say without the help of several good friends and associates, I would not have half the knowledge of Fett's back history.

Perhaps my post came off slightly more controversial than I had intended. To reiterate, I am extremely positive that the Mystery Helmet is not cast from the ROTJ helmet. I do believe that the Mystery Helmet and the Don Post Deluxe are derivatives, in one way or another, of a real helmet, though not a screen-used helmet nor a "stunt helmet."

I'd also like to add that through conversations will various people who were involved at Don Post studios and also LFL licensing that the long-held belief that LFL "required certain pieces to be altered and inaccurate" appears to be largely unsubstantiated.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; Jun 16, 2005 at 5:26 PM.

From

And back to my original point. After much researching, this helmet, which is stamped 2002 Rubies, is in measurements only a few mm's off from the original measurements. And if by any chance is still "too small in comparison to the movie helmets" then I don't want anything to do with it because it would make anyone, with the exception of a 450 lb man, look like a bobble head.

No one is disputing that the "standard DP is smaller than the movie helmet." This one is different. The olny thing wrong with this helmet, with the exception of the picture above out of focus and for some reason really squished to the vertical...is that it does need to be widened a little to match the width of the original helmet.

From
    Massachusetts

I'm sorry to break this news to you but the real Fett WAS a bobblehead.

I'm not going to tell you to do something you don't want to do... just trying to make sure you understand all the options and reasons for most going with a larger, fiberglass version. I'm sure you can mod it out and make it look cool.

From
    Flagstaff, Arizona

Yeah, Fett was a bobblehead in that thing. Just watch the movies with that in mind and you'll realize how big that bucket really is. I didn't even notice it was that big until someone pointed it out.