Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Subscribe
    May 5, 2005, 1:00 AM - Re: MY MS2 #26

Nice pics bud! I tried the 'scratch off' method with a toothpick, and it kept going down to the gelcoat, even after much sanding, priming, chrome, and drying. I've started using liquid mask on most parts now, and I cant wait to see how it turns out for you on the helmet.
    May 5, 2005, 9:19 AM - Re: MY MS2 #27

Thank you ! Thank you !

Keep the updates coming, I'm watching every step.
    May 5, 2005, 9:25 AM - Re: MY MS2 #28

where do you get the mask, and in what isle?

what stage are you doing first, just the chrome parts that show?
  4. Member Since
    Apr 2005
    May 5, 2005, 2:08 PM - Re: MY MS2 #29

Thanks very much for documenting your work step by step. The visuals will be very helpful for my noobly self.
    May 5, 2005, 3:08 PM - Re: MY MS2 #30

Exactly what I was thinkin Broken.

-Tony Vida; TK 3204; Austin, Tx
    May 5, 2005, 4:31 PM - Re: MY MS2 #31

Hey Spidey, We met at the Wal-Mart during the 48 hours of SW. I have the same bucket and was about to offer it back up for sale but yours does not look as "tall" as mine does. How did you correct the shape on top? I have not touched mine yet.
    May 5, 2005, 4:43 PM - Re: MY MS2 #32

Quote MARROW SUN said:
    It's coming bud! Hang tight! Its on its way.
    I thought he MS2 was a limited run of 10? Are you making more now?
    May 5, 2005, 5:48 PM - Re: MY MS2 #33

I made 15 in total. 3 for me, 2 for friends and 10 for sale. I've sold all that I've made now. I do believe I remembered to number all the helmet on the inside?! Is yours not numbered? By the way I have someone wanting a MS2 so if you don't want your helmet anymore I have a potential customer that would like it.
    May 5, 2005, 6:16 PM - Re: MY MS2 #34

MS2s are nice wishi could get ahold of one.. lol is it me or doesa solid chrome boba just sound sexah? (i know my ex would love it.. shiny.. and boba) i might chrome one someday for the hell of it. helms lookin good man.
    May 5, 2005, 6:17 PM - Re: MY MS2 #35

Ummm shiny Boba helmet sounds alittle like Jango doesn't it??
  11. May 5, 2005, 7:00 PM - Re: MY MS2 #36

Quote MARROW SUN said:
    I sale. I've sold all that I've made now. I do believe I remembered to number all the helmet on the inside?!
    BAM!!!! #5 of 15 for mine woo-woo thanks again, just sent it off to get painted...post pics soon
  12. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    May 5, 2005, 7:19 PM - Re: MY MS2 #37

Quote bobafett669 said:
    Hey Spidey, We met at the Wal-Mart during the 48 hours of SW. I have the same bucket and was about to offer it back up for sale but yours does not look as "tall" as mine does. How did you correct the shape on top? I have not touched mine yet.
    Hey , I should see you at Dallas Comic-Con Too...

I did A LOT of Sanding ...Different Grades of sand paper......No wet sanding. STILL COULD USE a Little MORE.
    Those that own one of these know that the thickness of the MS2 is SO MUCH MORE compared to the MS....
    Once I started to see VERY Tiny BUBBLES on the top I knew it was time to stop sanding.....I ended up filling them with Bondo though...
    AND if you haven't noticed I moved in the Mandibles in to make the visor not So wide and more parallel......With a Heat GUN, (be careful with that, could distort your Helmet)

P.S MARROW I'm # 11
  13. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    May 5, 2005, 8:24 PM - Re: MY MS2 #38

Quote cal196 said:
    where do you get the mask, and in what isle?

what stage are you doing first, just the chrome parts that show?
    Michael's Arts and Craft...Any Craft's store that has a Water Color Section...
    I use Winsor & Newton's "Colourless" Masking Fluid...It's been posted somewhere here before..
  14. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    May 5, 2005, 9:13 PM - Re: MY MS2 #39

THE FUN PART...PAINTING.

I want to Say that I use ROGUE STUDIOS :thumbup stuff as a Guide when it comes to paint selection and methods...It's proven THE MOST ACCURATE. And anyone who has seen his Helmets knows what I'm talking about.

So Before I start Posting All these pics of the Painting Process you need to know what the heck kinda paints to use...It also includes some methods to use. Check it out.

Here's the Link: http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=3630&highlight=ROTJ+Paint

HERE ARE JUST A FEW OF THE THINGS I USE TO PAINT WITH...
    INVEST IN A GOOD AIRBRUSH.....Or TWO.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S5300010.JPG 
Views:	2249 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	2902  
  15. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    May 8, 2005, 4:33 PM - Re: MY MS2 #40

Now that we know what we are using to paint with......the Painting.

MASKING with a LOW TACK Tape will allow you to tape right over the masking fliud areas...If it lifts off when it's time to remove then you can always reapply....I LOVE this stuff.
    I Mask and paint the DOME and under Cheeks first...as every one seems to do.
    I like to use NEWS PRINT to help mask...It bends really easy.

I use Panzer Olive Green right out of the Bottle for the 1st Coat...a little Acrylic thinner if it's too thick.
    I apply only 2 to 3 SOLID coats ..Waiting at least 20-30 minutes between coats.

The Panzer Green Color tends to dry DARK.....This is a Good thing because we will then spray a "MIST" of Panzer Green and Ital. C GR MIX. This gives it that "light look" in some areas per the Reference Photos..
    The MIST of this mix should not be thick, and Spraying should be a good distance away and low pressure on your Air Brush..a well lighted room will enable you to see the application.

CHECK IT OUT!!

Name:	MS2maskgreen1.jpg 
Views:	2208 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	2957   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MS2maskgreen3.jpg 
Views:	2178 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	2960   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MS2maskgreen4.jpg 
Views:	2163 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	2961  

Last edited by Spideyfett; May 8, 2005 at 8:47 PM.
    May 8, 2005, 10:30 PM - Re: MY MS2 #41

Well I've been checking these forums out for quite awhile now and figured I should just register allready.. but anyway..

You couldn't have started this thread at a better time for me, since I'm getting ready to paint my Bobamaker Helm.. Looking forward to the updates.. This should help out alot..

Lookin nice so far.. Although I did kinda like that Chrome look.

Tension
  17. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    May 9, 2005, 12:15 AM - Re: MY MS2 #42

After removing the Masked Area I found that some of the panzer green lifted .
    Mistakes happen....Learn from them I say.

SO rather than remask for the lower cheeks I just decided to paint them by hand....YES by hand.

I use a Grayish Black mix....More to my liking.....Not to dark and not to light..
    I try to stay very close to the Ref Photos...all the one's I've seen look really DARK GRIMY GRAY....HINT HINT .

Rogue Studios calls for a "* PRR Green (Inside cheeks)" (Looks DARK), that works good too.

Name:	MSBlkcheek.jpg 
Views:	2136 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	2964  
    May 9, 2005, 1:36 AM - Re: MY MS2 #43

the lifting happened around the WHOLE crown of my blasted helmet, so don't feel alone. I painted by hand a thin layer first. I waited until that dried then came at it again, for about four layers (waiting in between to dry). After the washes, you don't even know its there and that's even with my OWN eye !
  19. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    May 9, 2005, 6:34 PM - Re: MY MS2 #44

OOPS..... ...I forgot to take pictures of the "Masked" Red Mandibles....
    Just mask as I did the green and spray at least 2 Coats of Box Car Red. I like to Darken it up a little then Spay a Mist Color of the Box Car RED Color straight from the bottle... as per the HIGH RES REF Photos..

Any hoo...I started to Remove some of the Masking Fluid... **THIS STAGE CAN GET VERY MESSY.
    I USE A RUBBER CEMENT PICK UP.( It's the Ugly thing I'm holding)
    Right away I started to Lift more than just the masked areas....(I've Highlighted the main areas I MESSED-up on)...
    Then the rest of the pics show where I fixed them by Hand painting.

I then, as stated earlier, MISTED (sp) with the lighter tone of red....I USED AN AIR-BRUSH FOR THIS PART....My air Brush gets really tight and small, so not to get on the other painted areas...

Name:	MS2RED1.jpg 
Views:	2159 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	2997   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RC1.jpg 
Views:	2125 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	2998   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MS2RED3.jpg 
Views:	2129 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	2999  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MS2RED5.JPG 
Views:	2099 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	3003   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MS2RED7.jpg 
Views:	2123 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	3004  
    Last edited by Spideyfett; May 9, 2005 at 6:45 PM.
  20. May 9, 2005, 7:03 PM - Re: MY MS2 #45

Awesome job SPidey, it;s comming along nicely.Due to my total lack of artistic talent I had a fellow member ( thanks AFFo$s ) do a bang up ESB job for me. heres a few snaps of my MS2

The FINAL product

May 9, 2005, 7:35 PM - Re: MY MS2 #46

cool AFFOD can do a comparison of the MS2 and MS. mine is the one next to yours
    May 9, 2005, 7:38 PM - Re: MY MS2 #47

Looks great, now I've seen both the ESB and ROTJ themes completed. Now get that visor in place!
  23. May 9, 2005, 7:50 PM - Re: MY MS2 #48

Quote MARROW SUN said:
    Looks great, now I've seen both the ESB and ROTJ themes completed. Now get that visor in place!
    SIR , YES SIR !!!!......
    Ive been in contact with BobaMaker in regards to one
  24. May 9, 2005, 7:53 PM - Re: MY MS2 #49

Quote BobaFettSlave_1 said:
    cool AFFOD can do a comparison of the MS2 and MS. mine is the one next to yours
    Niiiiiiice . $'s sent me a comparison shot just the other week. my fat head will fit nice with a hardhat liner or something.
  25. Spideyfett is offline Spideyfett
    May 13, 2005, 12:07 AM - Re: MY MS2 #50

Once I paint the Green I tend to get bored so I start painting some of the Detail Scratches....Mainly the "GRAY Scratches".....
    I paint these TOPICALLY with a ZERO Sized Sable Brush...It gives me the different Gray thickness I'm looking for on each Scratch.
    I like to Copy straight from the REF Photos, But It's recommended that you Draw them on if your painting skills aren't the best. This way you don't get lost and paint the same thing twice...

*** Be sure to use the Lighter GRAY on the Mandibles/ Red Area. DUH!!

And don't worry the Back of the Bucket is coming....

Name:	MSGRAY1.jpg 
Views:	2044 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	3072   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSGRAY2.jpg 
Views:	2037 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	3075   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSGRAY5.jpg 
Views:	2021 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	3076