Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

MY MS2

Account Deactivated

MY MS2

UPDATED SATURDAY 09/03/05
    [font=Comic Sans MS]Well, this is my newest Baby...Just getting her ready for PRIMER...
    I've done a couple of modifications here and there, lots of Bondo. It had a higher than normal dome but I did some severe Dremeling and Sanding on the top of this thing..Still could use a little more, but over all this the BEST MOST BEAUTIFUL Bucket I have ever owned. Well Worth it...(Thanks Marrow)

I will be Posting updated pics through out....
    Ready or not here it goes...

[/font]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms2d-jpg   ms2h-jpg   ms2f-jpg  

ms2j-jpg   ms2i-jpg  
    Last edited by Spideyfett; Sep 3, 2005 at 8:08 AM.

From
    The first state

Re: MY MS2

I'll look forward to seeing the finished product,but I don't envy you on the in between Those paintjobs are a killer to ones spare time.

Steve

I enjoy the painting. Mostly touchups and weathering though. It gives me something to do. What sucks is waiting for coats to dry. Yep.

Great bucket, though. I love it. I actually kind of like the higher dome, too. It definately doesn't make it look worse!

From
    Austin, Tx

Wow, very nice... I envy you!

-Tony Vida; TK 3204; Austin, Tx

From
    Tatooine, New Mexico

I can't wait to see it all finished up. It already looks like the MS_2 needs alot less bondo than the MS_1. I can really see how he cleaned everything up. Awesome bucket.

I am currently working on my MS_1 and it is just eating up the bondo for dinner (a little over exaggeration there). Filling all the seams and pock marks is tedious work. I gotta say I love it though. I love it so much I just ordered my second MS_1 bucket. Wish I had jumped on the MS_2 when I had the chance. Maybe more will be offered. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Andrew

That is a nice looking helmet

Account Deactivated

AHHH Primer!!!8)
    Thought I'd keep up with this thread with more pictures...

My Goal is to show every stage."Hopefully".....Mainly to give, those that need it most, a "visual aid" if you will.
    I should start painting this weekend...or later this week. Of Course ESB scheme .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms22-jpg   ms21-jpg  

From
    Newport News, VA

That paint job looks. . . I dunno. . . a little bland. Maybe some greens and dark reds?
    Just a suggestion.

From
    Athens, Ga

If your doing the Layering methode you might want to use a black primer before the metallic paint for better effect. I was given this suggestion and does seem to make a more realistic metal look.

From
    Earth

Spideyfett said:
    AHHH Primer!!!8)
    Thought I'd keep up with this thread with more pictures...

My Goal is to show every stage."Hopefully".....Mainly to give, those that need it most, a "visual aid" if you will.
    I should start painting this weekend...or later this week. Of Course ESB scheme .

Thanks alot for doing that, I am going to try this. My first helmet paint job isnt so good I think mainly because I used U.S. medium green and its to dark. But thats all I had at the time and after I did my armor I figured why not, that was before I wanted to be more accurate.

Account Deactivated

[font=Comic Sans MS]"HOUSTON... WE HAVE A VISOR!!!!"... [/font]
    [font=Comic Sans MS]Did some additional work on some rough spots and installed the VISOR...
    I like to install the visor at this point, before the real painting begins.
    To me the mess of cutting through fiberglass after you have painted everything is not the way to go..I'd rather just Mask the Visor off and do all the Structural work now. Kinda like body work on a car. For those who have done that before.
    Anyway....

[/font]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms2visor-jpg  

From
    Hitchins, KY (Don't feel bad...no one else has heard of it either...)

I was wondering at what point I needed to dremel out the visor and install it. This helps! BTW, great looking helmet so far! Judging from your previous work, I can't wait to see the finished product!

Account Deactivated

[font=Comic Sans MS][font=Comic Sans MS]Can you say "Chrome Dome".. [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]I put two costs of Testors Chrome #1209..[/font]
    [font=Comic Sans MS]You must be very careful with this stuff, as it builds up quickly and **over spraying is a very easy mistake...[/font]
    [font=Comic Sans MS]I like to use Testors Chrome because it hardens very well....[/font]
    [font=Comic Sans MS]Of course this is the base color of the topical paint scheme I'll be doing...and I use chrome instead of Bright Silver because at the end will go a flat coating...... and well the chrome just holds that "Shine" better..[/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]I've included a pic of the reworked dent I did...the Lighting makes it really hard to see..[/font]
    [font=Comic Sans MS]So please excuse my bad photography skills..[/font]

[/font]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms2-chrome1-jpg   ms2-chrome2-jpg   ms2-chrome3-jpg  

Excellent work,

Im jealous !! ...some day soon I will have my own. I hope

From
    Earth

Ok, I'm with you so far I got my helmet and cleaned it up, added the scars for the ROTJ version. Sprayed it chrome with Duplicolor engine enamel chrome. I used that for my guantlets to and it seemed to be tougher than regualr paint for the chipping process.

From
    Athens, Ga

I like to get that started on my MS2 my self, however it's been over a month and I still haven't gotten mine.

From
    B.C.

It's coming bud! Hang tight! Its on its way.

From
    Athens, Ga

Holding my breath...I've heard nothing but great things about your helmet MarrowSun

From
    Ontario Canada

Hey Marrow .... dont forget me !!!

Mike

Marrows helmets are definitely worth waiting for, trust me

From
    Newport News, VA

I've just ordered one too! Can't wait.
    I have a question for those who've built up fiberglass helmets before.
    What's the main reason you guys install the visor prior to painting? Seems like there would be a lot greater chance of messing up the visor when it's installed during all the painting/weathering.
    Is there anyone who has waited to install it until after painting?
    Just curious about different viewpoints.
    Eric

From
    B.C.

I personally never install the visor until I'm totally done painting.

Account Deactivated

superjedi said:
    I've just ordered one too! Can't wait.
    I have a question for those who've built up fiberglass helmets before.
    What's the main reason you guys install the visor prior to painting? Seems like there would be a lot greater chance of messing up the visor when it's installed during all the painting/weathering.
    Is there anyone who has waited to install it until after painting?
    Just curious about different viewpoints.
    Eric
    [font=Comic Sans MS]FOR ME since I've done four of these...Mainly THREE Reasons:
    1. For Durability..there is potential for the Fiberglass to Crack when there is no support in the visor area once cut...That's my biggest reason, because it happened to me TWICE.
    2. And as I stated before it can get very messy to try and cut the visor and install after you have painted your bucket..intern poetically ruining your paint job with all the Grabbing while hot glueing or screwing , which ever method you choose to use...
    3. I've done it this way for three of the four helmets and It's worked out every time...With NO Scratches. Of course I masked with lots of LOW TACK Masking TAPE ON BOTH-SIDES , in and out.

I guess its all on what works for you..
    I say try what's easiest for YOU, because I don't think there is a WRONG or Right way on something like this...
    Does that help.????
    [/font]
    Last edited by Spideyfett; May 4, 2005 at 8:12 PM.

Account Deactivated

[font=Comic Sans MS]Okay Moving On..

MASKING FLUID...I say NO to mustard...Just my opinion.

THIS IS WHERE THE HIGH RES REFERENCE MATERIAL COMES IN.

This, to me, is the most under-rated steps..
    Normally I would draw the the scratches first, but for this I'll just apply it Per the REF PICS with different size paint brushes..I do recommend drawing them on lightly first though.

The fluid does tend to build up on the brush...remove the build up throughout, making sure your brush is pretty clean..This makes each application easier..

The reason I like this stuff is because:
    1. It dries fast
    2. If you mess up or don't think it looks right then just let it dry and take it right off and reapply.
    3. And the detail you can get with this stuff is great.
    [/font]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails masking1-jpg   masking4-jpg  
    Last edited by Spideyfett; May 5, 2005 at 8:43 PM.

From
    Newport News, VA

Thanks Marrow and Spidey!
    Now I know I will absolutely install the visor either before or after painting!
    Wait. . . that's not right.
    I guess I'll prolly do it before, because of the "support" factor.
    Eric