Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jul 2002
    Dec 3, 2002, 10:03 PM - My movie size helmet so far (pics) #1

I love this helmet, i've made the inside nice and smooth with body filler, the ears can be removed as i have bolted them in place, i've cut the keyholes out ready for detailing from the inside and i'm going to fit the visor like the original, so that can be removed too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1156075-lg.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	45978 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1156086-lg.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	45979 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1156352-lg.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	45980

Keith.
    Dec 3, 2002, 10:08 PM - Re: My movie size helmet so far (pics) #2

Say, that's a nice bucket I'm still waiting for mine to get here.

How'd you handle the ear bolting? Did you thread holes?
  3. Member Since
    Jul 2002
    Dec 3, 2002, 10:11 PM - Re: My movie size helmet so far (pics) #3

Click the link to read how i did it.

http://tdh.prop-planet.com/viewtopic...c=3171&forum=2

Thanks,

Keith
    Dec 3, 2002, 10:47 PM - Re: My movie size helmet so far (pics) #4

MaxPlague wrote:

Say, that's a nice bucket I'm still waiting for mine to get here.
    Yeah man, me too!!!! Two old men like us waiting, whats up with that??
    Dec 3, 2002, 10:51 PM - Re: My movie size helmet so far (pics) #5

Nice bucket Keith
    just wonderin how you cut the key holes out for one and exactly how do you intend to install your visor.
    Thanks
  6. Member Since
    Jul 2002
    Dec 3, 2002, 11:06 PM - Re: My movie size helmet so far (pics) #6

TK-Fett wrote:

Nice bucket Keith
    just wonderin how you cut the key holes out for one and exactly how do you intend to install your visor.
    Thanks
    I'm going to make some metal brackets for the visor, just like the real Fett helmets have.
    I cut the keyholes out by drilling lots of holes in the area to be removed, then i used the drill as a kind of cutter by pulling it from one hole to the next, i then used a modeling file to clean the holes up and make them nice and square.

Thanks,

Keith.
    Dec 3, 2002, 11:31 PM - Re: My movie size helmet so far (pics) #7

Who's bucket is that? PM me the info
    Mike
    Dec 4, 2002, 4:49 AM - Re: My movie size helmet so far (pics) #8

Can someone please PM me on how to get one of those. Plleeeaaaseee, thanks.
  9. Ego
    Dec 4, 2002, 6:53 AM - Re: My movie size helmet so far (pics) #9

Hi Keith,

Looks like we're about at the same stages on our buckets, I just did the keyholes on mine and am putting the finishing touches on it before painting.

I'm curious about how you're going to make the brackets. I hope you'll put up some pictures.

As well, any ideas on what paints you're going to use?

You're not going to become a blasphemer and put a ROTJ paint scheme on it are you?

Jer

Keith wrote:

I'm going to make some metal brackets for the visor, just like the real Fett helmets have.
    I cut the keyholes out by drilling lots of holes in the area to be removed, then i used the drill as a kind of cutter by pulling it from one hole to the next, i then used a modeling file to clean the holes up and make them nice and square.

Thanks,

Keith.
    Dec 4, 2002, 10:24 AM - Re: My movie size helmet so far (pics) #10

Lookin' good Keith! Add me to the waiting everyday by the mailbox for my new lid along with WPK and MP list! Soon...soon...soon...soon...soon...
  11. Member Since
    Jul 2002
    Dec 4, 2002, 2:53 PM - Re: My movie size helmet so far (pics) #11

Its going to be an ESB version, i will either try and buy some of the visor brackets, or cut them out of sheet steel, drill the hole for the screw and then bend them into shape.
    I will glue them to the inside of the helmet, then apply over them like the ROTJ version.

Keith.
  12. Ego
    Dec 4, 2002, 3:26 PM - Re: My movie size helmet so far (pics) #12

Glad to hear going ESB!

Where does one buy these visor brackets though? Are these just something standard out of a hardware store, or is someone custom making them (if you don't make them yourself that is)

Jer

Keith wrote:

Its going to be an ESB version, i will either try and buy some of the visor brackets, or cut them out of sheet steel, drill the hole for the screw and then bend them into shape.
    I will glue them to the inside of the helmet, then apply over them like the ROTJ version.

Keith.
  13. Member Since
    Jul 2002
    Dec 4, 2002, 4:12 PM - Re: My movie size helmet so far (pics) #13

I've never seen the brackets for sale, but then again i've never looked for them.
    I'm sure you will find brackets that will do the job at any hardware store, but i think you will have to bend them yourself to get the angle right.

Keith.
  14. Appolo_50
    Dec 4, 2002, 5:30 PM - Re: My movie size helmet so far (pics) #14

how do you guys screw things into the helmet its only 1/4 of an inch or so thick doesn't the screw go all the way through?
    Dec 4, 2002, 6:32 PM - Re: My movie size helmet so far (pics) #15

I was trying to figure that out awhile ago.

Well I have to look at the pics very closely again, but it could very well be that the screws merely clamp the visor in place, and they do not go all the way through. I can't say I have seem any definite pic supporting either the screw through or clamp theory. But I'll post some tonight.

16. Member Since
    Jul 2002
    Dec 4, 2002, 7:18 PM - Re: My movie size helmet so far (pics) #16

I've always just presumed the screws just clamped the visor in place.

Keith.
    Dec 4, 2002, 9:15 PM - Re: My movie size helmet so far (pics) #17

18. Member Since
    Jul 2002
    Dec 4, 2002, 9:35 PM - Re: My movie size helmet so far (pics) #18

Thats one thick visor, its thicker than the helmet!

Keith.
    Dec 4, 2002, 9:41 PM - Re: My movie size helmet so far (pics) #19

From that pic, it appears that the screw is merely clamping the visor in place, possibly going partially into the visor, but not through the helmet itself. The reason I say that is because if the screw was going all the way through the helmet and say cut off and puttied over, why wouldn't they have screwed the screw all the way flush to the visor rather than leave the gap between the two? Wouldn't the visor would be flapping back and forth?

The bracket is more than likely just epoxied to the helmet. This would make for easy replacement of a cracked visor without having to rip out any glue although I would consider possibly spot gluing a few areas (ends of the 'T', where the 'T' starts to go downward, and at the very bottom) just for a little insurance. I haven't installed the visor in my "movie size" helmet yet, so some collective opinions would be nice.
  20. Member Since
    Jun 2002
    Dec 5, 2002, 1:35 PM - Re: My movie size helmet so far (pics) #20

That does look great like the ear idea. Now all she needs is a little bondo for that dent and a nice coat of silver and blue!

21. Member Since
    Jun 2002
    Dec 5, 2002, 7:25 PM - Re: My movie size helmet so far (pics) #21

Bobafettish...
    Yes, I agree....the bracket was probably attached (glued or fiberglassed in) to the helmet and the screw is treaded through the bracket, against the visor to keep it in place. That way you just loosen or tighten the screw to remove or install the visor, respectively. Nice eye!!!
  22. Appolo_50
    Dec 5, 2002, 7:31 PM - Re: My movie size helmet so far (pics) #22

i don't quite understand. The bracket is glued onto the helmet and the screw goes through the bracket and the visor but not the helmet?
  23. Member Since
    Jun 2002
    Dec 5, 2002, 10:09 PM - Re: My movie size helmet so far (pics) #23

Yes....the bracket is glued/attached to the helmet. When you tighten the screw, it presses/clamps the visor against the front of the helmet (similar to a C-clamp). Am I making any sense??
  24. Ego
    Dec 5, 2002, 10:09 PM - Re: My movie size helmet so far (pics) #24

Never thought of doing anything like that but . . . sure makes a lot of sense.

Appollo: You got it. The bracket is permanently attached to the helmet. The screw goes through the bracket and presses tight up against the visor, which in turn is pressed up tight against the helmet. That way, the visor doesn't move, but you have a very easy way of removing the visor, and theoretically, for us, you could even replace it later with a visor of a different thickness even.

Jer
    Dec 6, 2002, 6:03 PM - Re: My movie size helmet so far (pics) #25

I hope nobody minds if this topic changed course just a bit, but it is topics like this that I like to see come up so we can put small but important details like this to rest.