My first bucket

From
    Massachusetts

My first bucket

...or: how I spent my summer vacation.
    Hello,
    This place has been great giving me a kick in the pants to start a project (or several). I wasn't sure I was going to do a progress thread, but I'm just too proud of my work so far not to show it off.

This is a mystery helmet from Sarge. I squared the corners on the cheeks, added extra scratches/dings, fiberglassed the inside (which was a pain, someone should make a tutorial for fiberglassing). Everything done with a small handsaw and a mat knife and elbow grease. Painted using AFFO$'s spray paint guide.

Next up this week: paint touch ups, de-shining the dome, and detail! I won't be able to post regular progress as I'm heading back to school, but I'll do what I can.

Thanks for looking!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_1807_1-jpg   img_1834_1-jpg   img_1837_1-jpg  

img_1835_1-jpg   img_1838_1-jpg  

From
    Hartselle,Alabama

Re: My first bucket

GOOD WORK SUMMER WELL SPENT
    :thumbup

What fiberglass questions do you have?

From
    Whitehorse, Yukon

After you touch up what you have I suggest giving the whole thing a semigloss or a flat coat, it's easier to apply paint to thatn a gloss surface.

From
    Massachusetts

Thanks LOPERO! I've had so much fun with this project so far, lost a few too many hours of sleep worrying about what still had to be sanded/putty-ed/touched-up, but it's all been worth it.

A hint for what I was getting into with fiberglassing would have been nice, I went through two pairs of gloves wrestling with the stuff plus making a complete mess. I have an idea of how I'd do it better next time, and I guess practice makes perfect.

Thanks zombie, I bought some dull cote and plan on spraying down the whole helmet.

New photos:
    I touched up the paint job, especially at the seams between colors and where the painters tape had chipped some of the underlying paint. I also added the kill stripes and touched up the detail around them with just the dome green. More detail to come whenever I have a break.
    It's killing me not working on it now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_1857_1-jpg   img_1858_1-jpg  

From
    The Netherlands

Looking good