Here's my helmet primed before painting, with the modding I've done to it I'm pretty happy with what I've got out of it. It's a Marrow Sun helmet (original version), with heavy modification to right earpiece area, keyslots, and making it overall less sharp and crisp to match the real helmets. This helmet was great to work with, big thanks to Jordy for that.
My goal is to make this more like an original film-used prop version, leaving it more asymmetrical and not perfectly trimmed, and painting as per Lee's recommendations and what I've noticed done on the originals (lines not perfectly masked, painting with the earcaps on the helmet, etc). In addition, the paintjob will be more of a reflection of it's appearance during the filming of ESB rather than after years of poor handling afterwards. Anyone who has studied the exhibit photos against ESB framegrabs and publicity photos should know what I mean.
My camera is awful so I have a hard time getting detail shots, and in the first shot it looks very narrow, so forgive me.
Real Borden connector
Newer version of the keyslots with seperate MQ-1 circuit casting (right after I snapped this photo I realized I had to fix it some more!)
Rangefinder earcap mount ground down, replaced with 2-piece version, and added the small mounting area for the lower earpiece. God what I would give for some good metal ears...
I can't thank Tylerdurden and Rogue Studios enough for their help so far...you guys have an unhealthy amount of knowledge and it's infecting me
I've been dragging this project out for months due to lack of time from work and school, so hopefully I'll be able to relax and get a fair bit of painting done over the holidays.