Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My ESB Helmet

My ESB Helmet **UPDATE**

This is where the fun begins.......again

Ok after a short break and a period of swearing blind I would never do another ESB helmet I am having another go and this one will be (hopefully) better than the last, This is following on from my paint up of my old FPH #16! which is now in the posession of our very own Bobby Fett Uk, at the time I was backed into a financial corner so I had to let go of my FPH, not an easy thing to do trust me! But now thanks to a good friend I have got ahold of this helmet casting which I intend to paint up to form the crown of my 12.53% complete ESB suit, here is a pic, the only one I have so far to show where I am, basic trimming done, lots of dust down the back of my shirt etc etc, stay tuned for this as I will be again following the advice of Lee Rogue Studios as far as colours go, with a few little twists here and there, thanks guys and girls
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image020-jpg  
    Last edited by HeadlessHunter; Sep 19, 2009 at 6:54 AM. Reason: update

From
    UK

Re: My ESB Helmet

Nice start Joe... look forward to the updates!

That my clone....

Ha no my friend that is the OSCS helmet I told you about, yours is covered in filler at the moment!

From
    Middlesbrough UK

no they are all mine!!! MINE i tells yer?!?! MIINNNEEEEEE

*curls up in a slobbery mess*

lookin fwd to this mate

Nate

From
    UK

HeadlessHunter said: View Post
    Ha no my friend that is the OSCS helmet I told you about, yours is covered in filler at the moment!
    I know... was only jesting ya!
    go get sanding...

From
    Fishers, IN

Are you sure that it is FPH #15? If it is, the helmets have learned to spawn themselves...or maybe a little mitosis for all you biology nerds. Thing is, I have a FPH #15 in my possesion at this very moment. Could it be from a different run?? Weird...

From
    Deliverence, Indiana

As soon as I saw #15 I was like huh?

ShocKNurse said: View Post
    Are you sure that it is FPH #15? If it is, the helmets have learned to spawn themselves...or maybe a little mitosis for all you biology nerds. Thing is, I have a FPH #15 in my possesion at this very moment. Could it be from a different run?? Weird...

Ha ha oh dear my mistake it was #16!!! apologies!

Edited original post

formerly old_jedi_mind_trick Bobby Fett UK's Avatar
    From
    Manchester, England

Better than the last

that will be a tall order indeed and yes it is 16.............just here.............................................. .......................... I

Thanks Rob, oh and thanks for the number confirmation! Getting sloppy in my old age...

From
    Fishers, IN

Whew!!! Too bad though, I thought maybe we had a Nobel Prize in order or something...

More trimming and primer coat #1, going back for a second all over sanding with some finer grit wet and dry to get any imperfections dealt with
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image034-jpg   image035-jpg  

Account Deactivated

This should be good... can't wait to see your work on this one Joe.

Thanks Alex, I'm excited to be painting another bucket, on the road to improvement hopefully

From
    Ohio

I'm looking forward to seeing this progress.

Oh My Lord!! What have I done? All becomes clear, drilled out the cast Borden to fit the real one
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image001_1-jpg   image007-jpg  

Account Deactivated
    From
    Spain

Oh My Lord!! What have I done? All becomes clear, drilled out the cast Borden to fit the real one

What have you done!?!!?!?!? It should be glued on!!!!

Nah, I'm kidding, nice work!

Ha ha nice try

Where'd you get the purdy MR casting !!! I want one

I'm sure you're going to do her up dandy brother Can't wait to see the progress on this !

FP

Chris you got a PM I was hoping to get a little paint down on this helmet over the weekend but another project took all my primer, cheers Gav So I have spent my time going over details like the keyslots again, just to make sure its all ship shape, as well working out a nice method to secure my Borden, I managed to make it removable for painting - method to follow

From
    UK

but another project took all my primer, cheers Gav
    Me? nice work buddy...

Ok my step by step guide to fitting my Borden Connector, firstly you need to grind away the old cast borden so I whipped out my 'trusty' dremmel and fitted the smallest sanding drum, I then ground away about 75% of it leaving the last25% to be done by hand, I didnt want to risk sanding into the main part of the cheek after its all sanded smooth I took a 7mm drill bit and drilled through, but before you go drilling through your helmet its important to make a 'spot' to guide your drill through, otherwise your drill may slip and either hurt you, or hurt your helmet, what I suggest is getting your drill bit and holding it over the center of the area you wish to go through, then apply some pressure and give it a few light twists, this should creat a small spot face where you can later position your drill, you will also find you are less likely to shatter your helmet unlike if you just drive a drill through with a lot of force Lesson over Anyway the diameter of the real borden is 9.5 mm so I file out the remainder of the hole by hand, I am not making it a size hole as I just want the borden to sit in the hole, not go all the way through, from what I can tell there is about 2.5mm of borden sticking out on the original helmet, the rest is glued through the helmet. Next step I got some 5 minute epoxy and fixed my borden to an M5 bolt, I held it in place with a small g-clamp until the epoxy had cured (see picture) Next up I reprimed my helmet where I had removed the cast borden and made my hole (see picture) The borden, now attached to the bolt now simply drops into the hole and sits in the slight recess, I then used 2 washers and a nut to secure it from the otherside (see picture) the helmet is now ready for paint and I can remove the borden at anytime during the painting process, hope this is of some benefit to you guys

Big thanks to Gav MojoFett for the real Borden
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bordenclamp-jpg   re-primer-jpg   likeso-jpg  

secure-jpg   ready-jpg  

From
    uk

Great tutorial and great helmet, this is going to turn out really nice. Nice clone lid in the background too

From
    UK

Nice... and a great tutorial bruv!

Account Deactivated
    From
    Spain

Well done!

Mojo, Email sent