Subscribe
    Apr 17, 2009, 3:27 AM - My cardstock/foamboard bucket build. #1

So where to start?First off I'm not a scratch builder,this is the first time I've ever attempted to do such,and I have to say that I am quite pleased with the results.

So now onto the good stuff,I printed off WOF's bucket templates on plain white cardstock,which I bought today when I got my paycheck,and I began cutting.I cut the round portions with a normal pair of scissors,whereas I cut all the straight lines with a ruler and a razor knife,this made for nice crisp cuts and that helps a ton!

So once I got the templates cut out I decided to start on what I though would be the easier of the parts(heh,yea right!),which is the ear pieces,IE: Range Finder cover,ear piece below Ranger finder,and opposite ear piece.

So here are the pics of my progress as of 10 mins ago,I hope you enjoy them,thank you.

I will pick back up where I left off sometime tomorrow before I go to work,and I will be sure to post pics as I go.Again thanks for looking.
  2. Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Apr 17, 2009, 12:38 PM - Re: My cardstock/foamboard bucket build. #2

Looks like a nice start. Stupid question but I am new here. Is cardstock the same thing as tag board?
    Apr 17, 2009, 2:54 PM - Re: My cardstock/foamboard bucket build. #3

Quote Yakface said: View Post
    Looks like a nice start. Stupid question but I am new here. Is cardstock the same thing as tag board?
    Go to Wal-Mart and look in the office supplies by all the paper. There you will find cardstock. It is a really thick paper that easily goes through the printer but isn't flimsy!
    Apr 17, 2009, 3:00 PM - Re: My cardstock/foamboard bucket build. #4

So I managed to get the Rangefinder piece all cut out and bondoed,and I managed to get one of the cheekbone's assembled.

Here is a pic of the cheeckbone,pics of the bondoed earpieces later after I sand them.

I'm not sure if I have the cure right,but I think may wind up turning into a custom build instead of a Boba build.Also,the final helmet will be bondoed,resined,and fiberglassed to make it one sturdy bucket.
    Apr 23, 2009, 11:20 PM - Re: My cardstock/foamboard bucket build. #5

Yay for more work/updates!

So I had to scrap my cheekbones and mandibles as I assembled them wrong,but I did get the main base of the helmet cut out and assembled to the bucket base.So here are the pics of that:

And the bondoed and sanded earpieces:

It's a slow process but I want to make sure I have a top notch bucket when I'm done!
    Apr 24, 2009, 10:36 AM - Re: My cardstock/foamboard bucket build. #6

you've started well.

keep it going and don't loose heart.
    We do these thing's to test our ability's.

made mine out of large plastic paint tubs and it took me awhile

Jason
    Apr 24, 2009, 1:13 PM - Re: My cardstock/foamboard bucket build. #7

Thanks.

Also,here is another update:

Got the new mandibles set in,now just have to get the new cheeks in,and I've got the dome cut out and ready to be assembled,it's getting close now,I will probably start glassing it tomorrow.

Here are the pics:

Apr 24, 2009, 5:25 PM - Re: My cardstock/foamboard bucket build. #8

Got the dome assembled today,now have to figure out a way to get it attached to the rest of the bucket.

Apr 25, 2009, 8:24 PM - Re: My cardstock/foamboard bucket build. #9

This ever get completed....
    Apr 25, 2009, 8:25 PM - Re: My cardstock/foamboard bucket build. #10

Oh never mind... I'm slow... Looks great! I'm very excited to get going on my sons Bucket!
    Apr 26, 2009, 12:52 AM - Re: My cardstock/foamboard bucket build. #11

Lol it's cool man,it's a very fun but tedious project to work on.This thing has taught me a big lesson in patience.

Anyways,here is a small update,the dome is a separate piece from the rest of the bucket,the ring I mounted it on was a solid piece of foamcore,I had to constantly cut rings out of the board until it fit down where I felt it should sit.Here are of the pics of it before and after I finally got it to fit right.

The initial bucket is done,it's ready to be fiberglassed now.
    Apr 26, 2009, 7:50 PM - Re: My cardstock/foamboard bucket build. #12

Ok reason for my miss post is the dates on your camera...

Anyway! Hey Bro My name is Thomas and I'm like two steps behind you on this build I just joined a few day ago this project has been on the back burner for me and when I asked My son what he wanted to be for Halloween he said Boba Fett... so I may have a few ?'s for you since this is fresh in your mind! Would you mind Mr picking your brain!?

I have ?'s on the ear piece builds your other pics explain the rest pretty dam well!

Do You have more pics could you just explain or show me where the instructions for building this is.... Am I blind was it in the file? Is there a thread I didnt see/read?

Your help is much appreciated!

Peace!
    Apr 26, 2009, 8:14 PM - Re: My cardstock/foamboard bucket build. #13

What a coincidence,my name is also Thomas.

I just sent you a PM.
    Apr 30, 2009, 12:09 PM - Re: My cardstock/foamboard bucket build. #14

WOAH!! STOP HIT THE BREAKES!!! You got a MAJOR PROBLEM with the dome... See the area I circled in yellow, that part is overlap, it needs to be trimmed off or the dome will be WAY TOO HIGH, see mine, I cut off the extra like everyone else, you can use a little of it for head room if necessary, but it will throw off the hight.

Just wanted to help

You will be so happy with your bucket when you finish it, that you'll probably go crazy like most of us and make more.

I got 5 sets of armor plates, and 2.5 buckets (1 of 'em was made for me by SAZ), its lots of fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dome problem.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	33277   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dome hight.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	33278  
    May 3, 2009, 5:43 PM - Re: My cardstock/foamboard bucket build. #15

Lol yea this was caught over on the Mando Merc forums,and as I said over there,I caught it in time and it will be fixed later today.

But yea I'm ready to make more already and I'm not done with this one yet.
    May 3, 2009, 6:53 PM - Re: My cardstock/foamboard bucket build. #16

looks good dude , keep it up man
    May 3, 2009, 6:56 PM - Re: My cardstock/foamboard bucket build. #17

Lookin really good Just a thought may want to open the vision hole a wee bit.
  18. May 3, 2009, 7:11 PM - Re: My cardstock/foamboard bucket build. #18

I wanted to do something along the same lines so I built a cardboard and duct tape helmet. cost about 10.00 all together. but came out really well. This was just to see how my finished bucket would look.
    May 3, 2009, 7:35 PM - Re: My cardstock/foamboard bucket build. #19

remember not to cut the whole visor out until all the 'glassing is done or it will warp, look in my profile and find my post on my first bucket to see what went wrong (its the same bucket I use as my avatar).
    May 3, 2009, 9:19 PM - Re: My cardstock/foamboard bucket build. #20

I cut my visor out before I glassed it and I haven't had a problem with warping yet.
    May 3, 2009, 11:16 PM - Re: My cardstock/foamboard bucket build. #21

I guess mine was the odd one out. It warped pretty bad when the resin dried, it must have shrank a little. I obviously fixed it, but I'm not gonna risk it on my new custom.

I like the color scheme in your avatar, is that the color your real bucket will be? I think it'll kick shebs.
    May 4, 2009, 7:29 AM - Re: My cardstock/foamboard bucket build. #22

For the most part,it'll be a tad darker on both colors.
    May 11, 2009, 4:36 PM - Re: My cardstock/foamboard bucket build. #23

Awesome work! amazing, Foamboard?
  24. May 11, 2009, 8:16 PM - Re: My cardstock/foamboard bucket build. #24

This is awsome, i just created an acount on these forums today but i have been using this site for a build a started a month ago. To bad it went horribly wrong since i didnt know realy where to begin.So i have to start over now, but i do have a question, when u made the ear piece,what is the substance you used to hold all the pieces together?