My cardboard helmet

  1. #1
    dung0beetle's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    From
    Texas
    Posts
    306

    My cardboard helmet

    I just wanted to show my cardboard bucket.

    Here it is before sanding and painting.

    I was going to do more to it, like clean up the seams and edges, but I just had to get some paint on it. Here is the result:
    This is the inside.

    This is Front, Back, Left, and Right.

    Please excuse the bad lighting and cheap camera. I spent absolutely nothing on this helmet. The cardboard came from some old desk calendars, the hotglue was "stolen" from my mom. The filler is drywall joint compound with a bit of water added to it. The paint is stuff I had lying around. It is that Plaid brand acrylic paint that people paint birdhouses and stuff with. I used the only paintbrush I could find--the brush that comes attatched to the can of rubber cement. The details on the ears are ink pen marks. I messed up on the dent by putting it too far back and that is why there is no good picture of it. I will use a hacked-up 2liter soda bottle and some window tint for the visor. Not bad for a halloween costume, I think.

    By-the-way, I was not going for an accurate paint job. So no pointing out the obvious, ok?

  2. #2
    I helped at SDCC '08 Jimmy BufFETT's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2006
    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,861

    Re: My cardboard helmet

    Very nice. I know you don't want people point out the obvious, but I do have a question: are you planning on adding the kill stripes or no?

  3. #3
    dung0beetle's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    From
    Texas
    Posts
    306

    Re: My cardboard helmet

    oops! forgot something

  4. #4
    dung0beetle's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    From
    Texas
    Posts
    306

    Re: My cardboard helmet

    Here it is all stripey!

    Also, you can see the dent is in the wrong place But it is just a halloween bucket anyway.

  5. #5
    formerly LOPERO Scoutleader's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2006
    From
    Hartselle,Alabama
    Posts
    610

    Re: My cardboard helmet

    Cardboard??????????
    Nice job, sir
    You would not happen to have taken notes on your project that you could share like oh..maybe cutting templates
    Again great job on the result

  6. #6
    formerly LOPERO Scoutleader's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2006
    From
    Hartselle,Alabama
    Posts
    610

    Re: My cardboard helmet

    I am sorry about the double post
    I forgot to ask you
    What age level would you say could make this?
    I know of about 1500 Cub Scouts that would LOVE to make a helmet.Any suggestion and help to have this as a craft at one of my Cub Scout District events I organize though out the year.
    Seriously ...imagine all those "Mandalorian" Scouts

    HMMMM..going to post a new thread
    Thank you for helping me get some active ideas for the Scouts in my district.

  7. #7
    dung0beetle's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    From
    Texas
    Posts
    306

    Re: My cardboard helmet

    LOPERO said: View Post
    I am sorry about the double post
    I forgot to ask you
    What age level would you say could make this?
    I know of about 1500 Cub Scouts that would LOVE to make a helmet.Any suggestion and help to have this as a craft at one of my Cub Scout District events I organize though out the year.
    Seriously ...imagine all those "Mandalorian" Scouts

    HMMMM..going to post a new thread
    Thank you for helping me get some active ideas for the Scouts in my district.
    Do a search for helmet templates. Wizardofflight has made the templates that I used for this. He has just finished the gauntlet templates, and he has made others as well. Check it out.

    As for cub scouts building these, I dont know, I have a son in scouts and he is 10. I wouldn't let him do the cutting, I don't think. If you make them a pre-cut "kit" that just needs to be assembled, I think It might work.

  8. #8
    dung0beetle's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    From
    Texas
    Posts
    306

    Re: My cardboard helmet

    LOPERO said: View Post
    I am sorry about the double post
    I forgot to ask you
    What age level would you say could make this?
    I know of about 1500 Cub Scouts that would LOVE to make a helmet.Any suggestion and help to have this as a craft at one of my Cub Scout District events I organize though out the year.
    Seriously ...imagine all those "Mandalorian" Scouts

    HMMMM..going to post a new thread
    Thank you for helping me get some active ideas for the Scouts in my district.
    Do a search for helmet templates. Wizardofflight has made the templates that I used for this. He has just finished the gauntlet templates, and he has made others as well. Check it out.

    As for cub scouts building these, I dont know, I have a son in scouts and he is 10. I wouldn't let him do the cutting, I don't think. If you make them a pre-cut "kit" that just needs to be assembled, I think It might work.

    Also, check out all the other threads about cardboard stuff, the numbers are growing daily!

  9. #9
    formerly LOPERO Scoutleader's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2006
    From
    Hartselle,Alabama
    Posts
    610

    Re: My cardboard helmet

    I was thinking the same thing while typing my Thread.
    For the younger scouts that dont need to do the cutting maybe this could encourage some of the parents and adults (leaders) to get envoled and help.A win..win.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will try and keep you up todate on this.

  10. #10

    Member Since
    Apr 2006
    From
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    Posts
    1,094

    Re: My cardboard helmet

    I'd think it'd be cool to see someone print out the painting templates and glue them on to their cardboard bucket

  11. #11
    I helped at SDCC '08 Jimmy BufFETT's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2006
    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,861

    Re: My cardboard helmet

    dung0beetle said: View Post
    Here it is all stripey!
    Wow! That was quick ... nice work!

  12. #12
    Ghostsoldier's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    From
    Sunny Sarlacc Pit, NE Florida
    Posts
    374

    Re: My cardboard helmet

    Looks dang good, dung!
    Rob

  13. #13
    dung0beetle's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    From
    Texas
    Posts
    306

    Re: My cardboard helmet

    I added the visor. It is from a 3 liter soda bottle and window tint film.


    I need to buff the fingerprints and scratches

  14. #14
    Jango72's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    From
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    746

    Re: My cardboard helmet

    I like your soda bottle solution, very ingenious.

    I'm doing something similar with my visor, save that I'm using some plexi that I picked up at Home Depot. My wife picked me up some window tint film from Wally-World the other night. At 2.5, I'm hoping that it'll be dark enough... if not, I'll just have to tint both sides.

  15. #15
    Forcebewitya's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2007
    From
    Milwaukee Wisconsin
    Posts
    253

    Re: My cardboard helmet

    I really wish I was this proficient at working with cardboard great work!

    Forcebewitya.

  16. #16
    dung0beetle's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    From
    Texas
    Posts
    306

    Re: My cardboard helmet

    Forcebewitya said: View Post
    I really wish I was this proficient at working with cardboard great work!

    Forcebewitya.
    Paint hides a lot of mistakes!

  17. #17

    Re: My cardboard helmet

    Im also making this helm and i my self was wondering what to use for the visor thx

  18. #18

    Re: My cardboard helmet

    dung0beetle said: View Post
    I added the visor. It is from a 3 liter soda bottle and window tint film.
    ......
    using a soda bottle is so creative!!
    great jobs!!

  19. #19
    bigglesk's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2009
    From
    Australia
    Posts
    11

    Re: My cardboard helmet

    Good idea with the soda bottle visor

Similar Threads

  1. First helmet build: Cardboard -Fibreglass
    By Dirk Gently in forum Boba Fett Helmet
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Apr 28, 2012, 4:32 AM
  2. Quick Cardboard Helmet
    By Cewydew in forum Boba Fett Helmet
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Sep 28, 2008, 10:02 AM
  3. Showoff: My cardboard Boba helmet
    By Fettsgerald in forum The Sarlacc Pit
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: May 17, 2008, 10:19 AM
  4. Materials for cardboard helmet
    By dbarsun in forum Boba Fett Helmet
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Apr 6, 2008, 10:53 AM
  5. Cardboard Boba Helmet...Link...
    By Macantosh station 1138 in forum Boba Fett Helmet
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jan 1, 2005, 11:53 PM
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •