Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
    Jan 2, 2005, 2:57 PM - Re: My Altmann's bucket... #26

Also pillbury, an introduction would be nice. You show up like an authority figure, but nobody knows who you are. Welcome to TDH, let's hear a little about who you are.
  2. Jan 2, 2005, 3:11 PM - Re: My Altmann's bucket... #27

I thought the "rant" posted in response to my "look at my altmanns bucket" thread was at the time...
    completely un-called for...
    I have no problem hearing any thoughts on the subject by anyone...
    new or old member...
    Soooooooooooooooo.....
    If its ok for the goose (to attack with allegations)...
    then its ok for the gander (to defend allegations)
    isn't it?

Hell it only supposed to be a thread to show people what the altmanns boba looks like...
    Nothing more than that...

Not a...

QUOTE" Lemme say lads and lasses,if I sent my clients a lid that looked like the 'bloody ugly altmann's' paint job,I'd probably get beaten up.........
    I'd bloody well deserve it,too,if I sold a lid that looked like that! " UN-QUOTE.

in my eyes, this is not why people come here and completely against what I thought this forum/website was intented to be about.
    To be honest, his post offended me...

Just my opinion on the post "I" started...

Mason...
    Jan 2, 2005, 3:52 PM - Re: My Altmann's bucket... #28

tylerdurden wrote:

However, his helmet does come under harsh scrutiny because of the nature of the board: seeking accuracy in all things Boba Fett.
    Sorry TD but I have to take a degree of exception to this statement. I was not aware of this being the official or even unofficial nature of this board. After all, accuracy can be measured in terms of cost.

Research time to achieve "accuracy" costs.
    Achieving the level of skill to create the MSH for example costs.
    Paying someone to make props for you costs.

In the end, not everyone on this board has the currency required to achieve the ever elusive accuracy. We do our best with the resources we have - for some that means damn near screen accuracy but for others it simply means creating or collecting items which we love as they represent the things we love about Fett and the Mandalorians. IMHO, this board is about far more than accuracy. This board is a forum for Fett and Zam fans worldwide whether they have the time, skill, cash or even the inclination to achieve screen accuracy.

I don't want to come accross as overly critical of your particular passion for accuracy but simply ask that you contemplate if that is the shared understanding of the nature of this board. If this "nature" is included in a statement by TDH hiomself or some other official statement then please accept my humble apology.
    Jan 2, 2005, 4:09 PM - Re: My Altmann's bucket... #29

I'm gonna have side with TD on this one. Accuracy is the official purpose of this board. Accuracy is why we go to the ends of the earth to find that Borden device which was used as the "beauty mark" on the Fett helmet. Accuracy is why we have the threads broken down in different sections. It's also why we have the Boba reference CD. Whereas you are right when you say not everyone has the funds to create a "screen accurate" suit, in the end, the purpose of the board is showcase the Fett suit and exactly how it was made and what was used to make it. Everyone should be proud of the suits they have made, no question there. But here, accuracy *is* measured on the screen suit.
    Sorry to digress and get off track of this thread.

Wes
  5. Jan 2, 2005, 4:26 PM - Re: My Altmann's bucket... #30

I agree this forum is about making fan made helmets/costumes as accurate as possible...
    sometimies expensively and sometimes in-expensively
    but...
    no amount of "screen accuracy striving"...
    should condone talk of violence ...
    (quote:should be beaten up :un-quote)
    for not meeting the standards of one member?...
    thats just not sane behaviour for such a subject I think...

Am I wrong???

Maybe it was just posted in the wrong manner and prevoked a response from someone taking it the wrong way...

But does anyone else not think that the comment was a bit over the top?

Mason...
    Jan 2, 2005, 4:32 PM - Re: My Altmann's bucket... #31

MJA,

Your quote is wrong. He said if he sold something with a crappy paint job, he'd probably get beaten up. He didn't say someone should be beaten up over it. It was a tounge-in-cheek comment. General consensus on the board is, the Altmann's Fett helmet is OK, but far from accurate. I don't think his comment was over the top.

Wes
    Jan 2, 2005, 5:00 PM - Re: My Altmann's bucket... #32

Jango_Wes wrote:

I'm gonna have side with TD on this one. Accuracy is the official purpose of this board.
    Wes
    Okay Wes, I appreciate your perspective but do not agree. Your reference to the "Borden Connector" is a great example - not everyone on this board gives a rip about whether thier helmets have authentic borden pcs in them. Just because those who seek accuracy above all else have done this quest does not show that the Board as a whole shares this passion.

I just looked through the Code of Conduct and there is nothing about accuracy being the official purpose. Unless of course you are implying that the accuracy guru's comprise the "Board" and the rest of us are just guests? I know that's not your heart on this but it's starting to come across that way.
  8. Jan 2, 2005, 5:11 PM - Re: My Altmann's bucket... #33

fair comment on it maybe being tounge-in-cheek Wes...
    just sounded a bit over-the-top and rude to me...
    enough said on the matter now i think...

Mason.
  9. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Jan 2, 2005, 7:23 PM - Re: My Altmann's bucket... #34

Jodo_Kast wrote:

I just looked through the Code of Conduct and there is nothing about accuracy being the official purpose.
    Jodo_Kast is correct. The purpose of this board is to provide ACCURATE information about the real costume and provide information regarding how to recreate the real costume as closely as possible. What each memeber decides to do with that information is up to him/her. As has been mentioned, in some aspects, accuracy can only be attained by copious amounts of time and/or money, things not everyone has. With that in mind, those who are striving for screen accuracy MUST be respectful of those who are more than happy with a relica that is not perfectly screen accurate. On the other hand, just because someone is willing to mortgage their home and children to attain the most screen accurate parts does not automatically make them "eltist"... crazy perhaps, but not elitist.

This is not a competition and the choice of one is not better than the choice of another. As I mentioned in the Sarlacc Pit, respect of EVERY member is the key.
    Jan 2, 2005, 7:28 PM - Re: My Altmann's bucket... #35

I think a number of comments by several of us, myself included, have been misconstrewn.

In my earlier post about the "nature of the board," I meant that many TDH members seek a high-level of accuracy, hence the intense scrutiny of Fett item.

I was not making any blanket statements regarding the official purpose or mission of the board, which is currently being discussed in the Sarlaac Pit.

Everyone is free to persue their own level of accuracy, but we should be respectful regardless of which path each member takes.

Jan 2, 2005, 10:01 PM - Re: My Altmann's bucket... #36

That story about Altmann recieving a helmet from LFL goes completely against what he told me face to face a few years ago.
    He maintained that he had to do a prototype of each helmet he made, send it to LFL for feedback, and then make any adjustments they suggested.
    He then had to send the adjusted helmet to them etc, etc, etc until they were satisfied.

Seems to me that the guy can't get his story straight.
  12. pillbury
    Jan 3, 2005, 5:14 AM - Re: My Altmann's bucket... #37

darthbish, this what altmanns passed on to me , altmanns were sent helmets to take molds off, a fett was one, once altmanns had made a prototype from the molds TAKEN from the LFL helmet they then sent that one to LFL for aproval or modification,
    altmann were sent are fett, scout, red guard. all the others were altmanns own scuplts which I was told went back to 1983 when the first was done/developed,the only reference that altmann had back then was videos of the three films and any stills that were available,
    altmann also has the PANTONE colors for ALL the colors used on film productions, this included fett. altmanns get a book from LFL as part of the licence, this has all the PANTONE colors for each character, space ships,helmets, logos....blablabla.
    steve was interested in the LFL story about the lawyers and paying up "fees"? any more on that? and to sum up, darthbish hasnt got his story right as steve tells evryone about receiving helmets from LFL to take molds off which he is ALLOWED to do as part of the licence.
    If you know steve that well how come you dont know this to be true
  13. pillbury
    Jan 3, 2005, 8:25 AM - Re: My Altmann's bucket... #38

if I can arrange to steve altmann on line here, anyone interested in a "meeting" ?, he is approachable.
  14. Member Since
    Mar 2003
    Jan 3, 2005, 8:31 AM - Re: My Altmann's bucket... #39

pillbury wrote:

altmann also has the PANTONE colors for ALL the colors used on film productions, this included fett.
    The Pantone Matching System is used in printing to keep spot colours consistent. How does that apply to Fett, or any other character, if you don't mind my asking?

Cheers!
    TJ
  15. Community Founder Art Andrews's Avatar
    Jan 3, 2005, 8:42 AM - Re: My Altmann's bucket... #40

pillbury wrote:

if I can arrange to steve altmann on line here, anyone interested in a "meeting" ?, he is approachable.
    I certainly would be interested! If he did get access to a real helmet and real colors, I'd be very interested in hearing what he has to say.
  16. pillbury
    Jan 3, 2005, 8:50 AM - Re: My Altmann's bucket... #41

T.J. PANTONE is a complete color system and is used in lots of applications not just printing, LFL use it for their color reference in films. a film production has to have a color reference to color all sorts of things from helmets to buildings,vehicles, clothing,armour etc.
    Imagine your building a new house, you have to pick the colors for the inside .outside etc, you need a reference and pantone maybe one, its LFLs preference for colors, I saw the approval sheet for the altmanns red guard helmet and they were very specific about the pantone red!!!!!
    the book that altmann got has pantone numbers for everything
    if i can get him to come on line ,ask him
  17. Member Since
    Mar 2003
    Jan 3, 2005, 8:58 AM - Re: My Altmann's bucket... #42

pillbury wrote:

T.J. PANTONE is a complete color system and is used in lots of applications not just printing,
    I've never heard of it used in the film industry before. Interesting. So, then, what is Boba Fett's Pantone number?

Cheers!
    TJ
  18. pillbury
    Jan 3, 2005, 9:11 AM - Re: My Altmann's bucket... #43

not sure about the pantone numbers, I will ask steve if he will devulge that and if he will come on the board,in a day or so?
    if he gives them to me sooner I'll post what he sends?
  19. Member Since
    Mar 2003
    Jan 3, 2005, 9:14 AM - Re: My Altmann's bucket... #44

pillbury wrote:

not sure about the pantone numbers, I will ask steve if he will devulge that and if he will come on the board,in a day or so?
    if he gives them to me sooner I'll post what he sends?
    Sounds good to me.

Cheers!
    TJ
  20. pillbury
    Jan 3, 2005, 8:17 PM - Re: My Altmann's bucket... #45

here is what I got on pantones.
    helmet is 5487c, its a dirty sort of lightish green
    back of helmet and undercuts 330c, really dark green,almost black
    trim on helmet 491c,its a plum brown
    stripes are 142c its a orange yellow
  21. Rogue Studios is offline Rogue Studios
    Jan 3, 2005, 9:09 PM - Re: My Altmann's bucket... #46

I ain't saying a damn word.

Lee
  22. Jan 4, 2005, 5:31 AM - Re: My Altmann's bucket... #47

whats does that mean Lee?...
    he's "bang on" or "well off" the mark?
    what is it?

Pillbury,
    so someone like...
    http://www.colorite.co.uk/industries_aerosol.htm
    could match the colours up with just those codes then?

Mason....
  23. pillbury
    Jan 4, 2005, 8:26 AM - Re: My Altmann's bucket... #48

steve is on the way over, be herein about 20mins so ask him
  24. Jan 4, 2005, 8:44 AM - Re: My Altmann's bucket... #49

wowzers...when was that posted pillbury?...
    is he available as i wanted to know about the boushh helmet and its non-production to?

Mason...
  25. Rogue Studios is offline Rogue Studios
    Jan 4, 2005, 9:14 AM - Re: My Altmann's bucket... #50

It's nothing meant to be personal so I hope you don't take it that way I think you have posted a very interesting point. My response was sort of toungue in cheek based on the whole paint research thread.

Lee